are you having any luck

Old Mar 17th 2009, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

shazza69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default are you having any luck

just wondering if anyone applying for jobs in the calgary area is having any luck at getting any job offers as we have not had one response...Maybe its time to book that reece trip....my hubby is a carpenter...we just seem to be stuck in limbo without a job offer its so depressing.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 10:57 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: are you having any luck

Originally Posted by shazza69
just wondering if anyone applying for jobs in the calgary area is having any luck at getting any job offers as we have not had one response...Maybe its time to book that reece trip....my hubby is a carpenter...we just seem to be stuck in limbo without a job offer its so depressing.
How are you applying for jobs? I hope it's not just via the internet - you are very unlikely to ever get any response that way! And I assume he's changed his CV to a Canadian format resume?

If you haven't already, have a read of the Job Hunting section of the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page) which will explain exactly how to go about it to give yourself the best chance of success.

Good luck.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

hes changed his resume to canadian format and we have hired an immigration consultant who has done a mass mail out to canadian companies sending my husbands resume out to them, but no response from any of the compaines either, we have been applying online via the job bank but no replies. we have read the wiki section. It seems the best way forward is to send my hubby out there, but is this the right time to go on a reece trip what with the construction industrie being what it is today in canada...
Old Mar 17th 2009, 12:17 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Do you 100% HAVE to move to Calgary - do you have family there? Or would you consider another Province/Town in Canada?

Calgary is struggling at the moment with the current economic climate and I think you will continue to have difficulty finding work there.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Calgary has always been our number 1 location but we have been thinking about looking in another area, we have applied for jobs in nova scotia and we would also be willing to look at BC area. But Alberta was our top choice.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 1:07 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Calgary has always been our number 1 location but we have been thinking about looking in another area, we have applied for jobs in nova scotia and we would also be willing to look at BC area. But Alberta was our top choice.
I think you would probably have the same problem in BC at the moment as well - for the same reason.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 1:22 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

hes changed his resume to canadian format and we have hired an immigration consultant who has done a mass mail out to canadian companies sending my husbands resume out to them, but no response from any of the compaines either, we have been applying online via the job bank but no replies. we have read the wiki section. It seems the best way forward is to send my hubby out there, but is this the right time to go on a reece trip what with the construction industrie being what it is today in canada...
I dont know who your immigration consultant is and how much experience they have of helping their clients find work in Canada but honestly this is not the best approach. Mass emails typically never generate any response here - Canadians very much prefer personal contact (phone or face-to-face) and if you are applying for jobs from another country the email will almost certainly be met with a certain amount of scepticism and probably ignored.

My advice is to do some research and identify a handful of employers who are in your industry and where there is an obviously good fit with your own experience (either based on type of products, size of company etc). Then approach them directly by phone (or email first then follow-up by phone). When you contact them demonstrate that you have done some research and know a little bit about them. Suggest a week when you are going to be visiting their region of Canada anyway and ask if they would be willing to meet with you while you are here (its a subtle way of requesting an interview really).
Old Mar 17th 2009, 1:48 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Plus, just to add to what NSPaul has said, if your immigration consultant is charging you for helping to find a job, then that may well be illegal (it is illegal in most Canadian provinces for anybody to charge you, the employee, anything for recruitment, they are only legally allowed to charge the employer).

Old Mar 17th 2009, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

yes we are aware that it is illigal to charge for job hunting, but the immigration company we are with are only assisting us in finding a job, this is what they say anyway, and from our experience with them they dont seem to be doing much in the way of job finding anyway.
Old Mar 17th 2009, 2:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

yes we are aware that it is illigal to charge for job hunting, but the immigration company we are with are only assisting us in finding a job, this is what they say anyway, and from our experience with them they dont seem to be doing much in the way of job finding anyway.
Good, as long as they are not charging you for it then that's fine.

But as NSPaul has said, and the Wiki will tell you, it's very unlikely you'll have any luck job hunting that way. Canadians do things very differently so you need to read all the Job Hunting section and then you'll see what you need to do - basically either get out there (ideally) or pick up the phone.

I've seen somebody on here who had been searching for a job for 2 years without any luck (solely via the internet as per the norm in the UK) - we then pointed him in the direction of the Wiki and following a reccie trip 2 months later he had 8 job offers to choose from. It really does make a difference how you do it.

Best of luck, hope one turns up soon. Not a great time to be job hunting in Canada at the mo with the recession there, but your husband's skills are definitely needed so hopefully it won't be too much longer before you get that all important offer and LMO.