Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Would you regard this as enough Common-law proof?

Would you regard this as enough Common-law proof?

Old Dec 31st 2011, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

99problems will become famous soon enough99problems will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Would you regard this as enough Common-law proof?

This is all OTT. We have taken advice and provided written references from those who know us as well as from both sets of parents attesting to relationship. We have recently acquired a marriage licence and set a date for next year in any case so can quash this at a stroke. Having your name on any number of bits of paper is not "proof" of anything. Also reality in our case is that either of us could have gained the points to be lead applicant for FSW. You actually do have to provide proof of funds, education, references, polic checks for all spousal applciants so sdont know where that came from...
Old Dec 31st 2011, 5:17 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 99problems
This is all OTT. We have taken advice and provided written references from those who know us as well as from both sets of parents attesting to relationship. We have recently acquired a marriage licence and set a date for next year in any case so can quash this at a stroke. Having your name on any number of bits of paper is not "proof" of anything. Also reality in our case is that either of us could have gained the points to be lead applicant for FSW. You actually do have to provide proof of funds, education, references, polic checks for all spousal applciants so sdont know where that came from...
Having both your names on various "pieces of paper" reinforces that you are in a conjugal (meaning marriage like) relationship, which is what CIC are looking for. It's hardly OTT when you consider that CIC has to determine from documentation submitted that yours is a genuine relationship.

CIC do not care if you could gain PR via a FSW visa, they just need to have proof of your relationship for your current application. As to having a marriage licence, this is meaningless. Even if you were married you would be required to show proof of a genuine relationship, you just wouldn't need the affidavits necessarily.

As to your comment regarding spousal applicants requiring proof of funds etc., I am sorry but I believe you are incorrect. Whilst everyone who applies to immigrate to Canada requires Police and background checks and a medical, you do not need proof of education or funds for spousal applications. Perhaps you are misinterpreting the instructions or confusing them with another application.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...s/3999Etoc.asp

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 31st 2011 at 5:23 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

exenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siouxie
You should fill in the form for "change" from WHV to Visitor status, and extend

You are most welcome.
Sorry I just re-read what you put as I saw 'visitor status' oops!

I will not be a visitor, I will be here on a working holiday till July 29th 2012, then it expires. Im sending off my spousal app within 2 weeks so hopefully it will all be done before then.. But what happens if it gets to July 29th and my passport is on its way to london/on its way back? Is there a extension I can apply for that would allow me to work, or be on implied status as a PR app would be in process/near completion?

I cant change to visitor status as I need to work to survive, also, I wouldnt be able to leave the country as I wouldnt have a passport?
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

jcdavies81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
It doesn't say specifically that they have to be notarised, but generally that's what they mean by "statutory declaration", hence we provided 11, 3 of which are notarised.

This is what the form says from CIC's website:

I went with the default thought of "statutory declarations" must be notarised. If you're the UK you can get any solicitor to sign and stamp it for £5 each, but it has to be taken and paid by the person who wrote it (the solicitor has to witness the signature).

We also provided a mix of declarations - my parents, Fiance's parents, my brother, Fiance's brother, 1 Canadian friend of mine, 2 of my UK friends, 2 of his UK friends, my aunt in canada, Fiance's cousin in the US. We figured a mix of people showed that more than just our family knows about our relationship. We wrote out a template with bullets:

(If that helps at all!)

For the once im not having notarized should i take out the last section below the person whos writing its signature?
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 9:18 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisbrockhurst
Sorry I just re-read what you put as I saw 'visitor status' oops!

I will not be a visitor, I will be here on a working holiday till July 29th 2012, then it expires. Im sending off my spousal app within 2 weeks so hopefully it will all be done before then.. But what happens if it gets to July 29th and my passport is on its way to london/on its way back? Is there a extension I can apply for that would allow me to work, or be on implied status as a PR app would be in process/near completion?

I cant change to visitor status as I need to work to survive, also, I wouldnt be able to leave the country as I wouldnt have a passport?
You cannot "extend" a working holiday visa. You can apply for a new one and activate it when your current one expires but they are not extendable.

Additionally, you would only be on implied visitor status, you would not be able to work.

If you take photocopies of your passport prior to sending it off, if you wish to change to 'visitor' and extend you would only need to send a copy of your passport together with the application to extend. Whilst your application to extend is in place you would be on implied status and would not have to leave until a response is received by CIC. It is unlikely that they would refuse an extention if your PR application is in process.

If you need to work to survive then you have few choices - either apply for a 2nd WHV or return to the UK to work after your WHV has expired and wait there for your PR visa to be finalised or alternatively find a company willing to get an LMO for you and get a temporary work permit.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 9:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 99problems
I think you're confusing things - the OP is applying via spousal sponsorship, so of course must prove the relationship to the Canadian citizen that is sponsoring him for PR. And no proof of funds, education, references, etc, is required for spousal sponsorship applicants, it's really a very different process to the one you are going through.

Old Jan 2nd 2012, 10:05 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jcdavies81
For the once im not having notarized should i take out the last section below the person whos writing its signature?
That's what we did!
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

99problems will become famous soon enough99problems will become famous soon enough

@christmasoompa. Yes I see you are right. When wrapped up in your own visa process its hard to think other people have other routes/processes! Of course spousal sponsorship will require coordinated paperwork tying the 2 people together. Apologies.
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

That's what we did!
sorry just to clarify you got rid of this bit right

DECLARED BEFORE ME AT

[location]
in the borough of [borough]
THIS [25th] DAY OF [month],

[signature]
[full name]
[title – proof of solicitor]
[full address including country and postal/zip code]
[contact phone number(s) including country codes]
Old Jan 4th 2012, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

exenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond reputeexenglishman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siouxie
You cannot "extend" a working holiday visa. You can apply for a new one and activate it when your current one expires but they are not extendable.

Additionally, you would only be on implied visitor status, you would not be able to work.

If you take photocopies of your passport prior to sending it off, if you wish to change to 'visitor' and extend you would only need to send a copy of your passport together with the application to extend. Whilst your application to extend is in place you would be on implied status and would not have to leave until a response is received by CIC. It is unlikely that they would refuse an extention if your PR application is in process.

If you need to work to survive then you have few choices - either apply for a 2nd WHV or return to the UK to work after your WHV has expired and wait there for your PR visa to be finalised or alternatively find a company willing to get an LMO for you and get a temporary work permit.
this is what I thought, not to worry. Sending off the application in the next week and I have till July 29th, so will have 6 1/2 months for it to complete. pretty hopeful this should be long enough!
Old Jan 4th 2012, 5:12 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

sorry just to clarify you got rid of this bit right

DECLARED BEFORE ME AT

[location]
in the borough of [borough]
THIS [25th] DAY OF [month],

[signature]
[full name]
[title – proof of solicitor]
[full address including country and postal/zip code]
[contact phone number(s) including country codes]

Yep that's the bit that we removed for the ones that weren't notarized.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

Yep that's the bit that we removed for the ones that weren't notarized.
Thanks Schookololy

I have a friend trying to get one notarized back in england she has called a few law offices and none seem to do it. Is there a certain lawayer i should be looking for or is there someone else who can do a notarized one????

Didnt have to much of a issues finding one out here to do it.

Again thanks for your help u have been amazing
Old Jan 16th 2012, 4:41 am
Banned

Thanks Schookololy

I have a friend trying to get one notarized back in england she has called a few law offices and none seem to do it. Is there a certain lawayer i should be looking for or is there someone else who can do a notarized one????

She will probably find it easier to find a Notary Public. http://www.thenotariessociety.org.uk/

Old Jan 16th 2012, 8:49 am
Concierge

Thanks Schookololy

The fiancé of a friend of mine is a solicitor for England and Wales, so he just signed one of my two. The second one I'm taking to a solicitor on Fleet Street to get signed... assuming I'm successful later today I'll PM you the name/address of where I went.
Old Jan 16th 2012, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers guys really appreciate it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.