British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Would you regard this as enough Common-law proof? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/would-you-regard-enough-common-law-proof-739993/)

exenglishman Nov 24th 2011 8:23 pm

Would you regard this as enough Common-law proof?

Hey all,

Im gathering the sponsorship proof for my outland London spousal-sponsorship. (being sponsored by canadian GF). Just wondering if you guys think this would suffice as enough evidence? Unfortunately i am one of those people that worries about everything, questions myself and needs input from others to settle my mind!!

Also, Im right in thinking I DONT need to get the stat dec signed and notarized because she is sponsoring me as common-law outland, and we dont have a co-signer. am I correct?

In terms of the proof:

We dont have a joint lease as she signed it July 2010 and I came over August 2010. We dont have any joint bank accounts, as realistically we didnt have a need for it (i know it would of helped but its too late now anyway)

The proof we do have though:
  • Copies of cheques I use to pay rent and the copies of the statements showing gf pays half each month and letter from landlord confirming I have paid this since aug 10.
  • Bank statements showing I sent her money to set up a place and to pay for a months rent whilst I was still in england - copies from online banking
  • Multiple long email threads including Photos in emails of the place we rent in reno and then later completed - pdf'd from gmail account
  • Huge facebook message log pasted into ms word (used as well as emails) dating back 2 years, about 65 pages long!! - will include random pages not all of it!
  • Online printed e-tickets for flights/vacations to cuba, venice, spain, greece (no boarding card stubs though) - all copies
  • Printed Hotel booking receipts in my name that assosiate with the trips above - all copies
  • Lots of photos of us away on the above trips, will put into word with explainations/dates and print photos too.
  • Mases bills and bank statements addressed to us individually at the same address i.e rogers RBC statements etc - originals wil be sent
  • Christmas and Birthday cards addressed to each other
  • Receipts of TV purchased on GF futureshop card and I later paid off (joint ownership of household items) - copies and originals
  • Gf is in process of being added to my work benefits plan - manulife) not sure how I will proove this though)
  • Letters signed by both sets of parents saying we have been together for 2 years + signed/dated but not notarized - oringials

I Also have copies of check-out reports and bills from living together in the UK two years ago (both names on these as well as a flat-mate) but un-sure as to send these or not in case it confuses the application? Maybe include in how our relationship developed...?

what do you think? im a bit worried about not having the lease with both our names but theres nothing that can be done. Anything else you would advise - that I can get in the next two weeks? - gotta send it off asap as my visa expires July 24th 2012.

any help or answer would be amazing :)

[/LIST]

SchnookoLoly Nov 24th 2011 10:00 pm

Re: Would you regard this as enough Common-law proof?

I don't know as much as some of the people here, but I think it sounds okay... you've included as much as you have.

I'm in a similar boat - application going in in about 2 weeks, also common-law, me sponsoring my fiance.

Here's what we have:
  • 11 statutory declarations, 3 notarised (mix of each of our families and each of our friends)
  • copy of our lease showing we moved in together March 2010, plus a letter from the letting agency stating that we continue to occupy the flat together on a rolling contract
  • printouts of receipts/itineraries from trips we've taken together (of what we could find, anyway)
  • a "photo essay" documenting our relationship - all trips, particular events, family visits, etc
  • utility statements in both our names including council tax
  • bank statements from both our joint account and from our own statements mailed to the same address
  • copies of various cards to each other, from his family to me, my family to his, and a bunch of engagement cards
  • copies of receipts from planning our wedding (April 2012 - copies of ceremony hire, payment for the registrar, deposit to the reception hotel, etc)
  • screenshot of my coverage on my fiance's work dental/medical benefits packages
  • random selection of printouts of my mobile phone bills with lines of our text messages and phone calls between my phone and his highlighted

I think that's everything we included for proof - I don't have my Immigration Binder of Doom in front of me right now but I think that's what we've put together for proof. So it sounds like we've put mostly the same things... I can't think of what else we could possibly add!!

Will be following this thread, hopefully there's a reply or two...

el_richo Nov 24th 2011 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by chrisbrockhurst (Post 9752629)
Hey all,

Im gathering the sponsorship proof for my outland London spousal-sponsorship. (being sponsored by canadian GF). Just wondering if you guys think this would suffice as enough evidence? Unfortunately i am one of those people that worries about everything, questions myself and needs input from others to settle my mind!!

Also, Im right in thinking I DONT need to get the stat dec signed and notarized because she is sponsoring me as common-law outland, and we dont have a co-signer. am I correct?

In terms of the proof:

We dont have a joint lease as she signed it July 2010 and I came over August 2010. We dont have any joint bank accounts, as realistically we didnt have a need for it (i know it would of helped but its too late now anyway)

The proof we do have though:
  • Copies of cheques I use to pay rent and the copies of the statements showing gf pays half each month and letter from landlord confirming I have paid this since aug 10.
  • Bank statements showing I sent her money to set up a place and to pay for a months rent whilst I was still in england - copies from online banking
  • Multiple long email threads including Photos in emails of the place we rent in reno and then later completed - pdf'd from gmail account
  • Huge facebook message log pasted into ms word (used as well as emails) dating back 2 years, about 65 pages long!! - will include random pages not all of it!
  • Online printed e-tickets for flights/vacations to cuba, venice, spain, greece (no boarding card stubs though) - all copies
  • Printed Hotel booking receipts in my name that assosiate with the trips above - all copies
  • Lots of photos of us away on the above trips, will put into word with explainations/dates and print photos too.
  • Mases bills and bank statements addressed to us individually at the same address i.e rogers RBC statements etc - originals wil be sent
  • Christmas and Birthday cards addressed to each other
  • Receipts of TV purchased on GF futureshop card and I later paid off (joint ownership of household items) - copies and originals
  • Gf is in process of being added to my work benefits plan - manulife) not sure how I will proove this though)
  • Letters signed by both sets of parents saying we have been together for 2 years + signed/dated but not notarized - oringials

I Also have copies of check-out reports and bills from living together in the UK two years ago (both names on these as well as a flat-mate) but un-sure as to send these or not in case it confuses the application? Maybe include in how our relationship developed...?

what do you think? im a bit worried about not having the lease with both our names but theres nothing that can be done. Anything else you would advise - that I can get in the next two weeks? - gotta send it off asap as my visa expires July 24th 2012.

any help or answer would be amazing :)

[/LIST]

To my untrained eye it looks like you're more room mates than common law. Do you not have a joint bank account? Anything else in both of your names?

exenglishman Nov 24th 2011 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by el_richo (Post 9752768)
To my untrained eye it looks like you're more room mates than common law. Do you not have a joint bank account? Anything else in both of your names?

nope nothing in both our names.

I thought everything we had seemed like a fair amount, especially with the photos/emails that the visa officer will see.

my confidence level has gone down a bit though now, and am even more worried about it. :(

exenglishman Nov 24th 2011 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly (Post 9752750)
I don't know as much as some of the people here, but I think it sounds okay... you've included as much as you have.

I'm in a similar boat - application going in in about 2 weeks, also common-law, me sponsoring my fiance.

Here's what we have:
  • 11 statutory declarations, 3 notarised (mix of each of our families and each of our friends)
  • copy of our lease showing we moved in together March 2010, plus a letter from the letting agency stating that we continue to occupy the flat together on a rolling contract
  • printouts of receipts/itineraries from trips we've taken together (of what we could find, anyway)
  • a "photo essay" documenting our relationship - all trips, particular events, family visits, etc
  • utility statements in both our names including council tax
  • bank statements from both our joint account and from our own statements mailed to the same address
  • copies of various cards to each other, from his family to me, my family to his, and a bunch of engagement cards
  • copies of receipts from planning our wedding (April 2012 - copies of ceremony hire, payment for the registrar, deposit to the reception hotel, etc)
  • screenshot of my coverage on my fiance's work dental/medical benefits packages
  • random selection of printouts of my mobile phone bills with lines of our text messages and phone calls between my phone and his highlighted

I think that's everything we included for proof - I don't have my Immigration Binder of Doom in front of me right now but I think that's what we've put together for proof. So it sounds like we've put mostly the same things... I can't think of what else we could possibly add!!

Will be following this thread, hopefully there's a reply or two...

The one up on me you have is the lease agreement. for me this wasnt possible. Im thinking if I can ger her added to my canadian credit card and get a statement together in the next couple of weeks maybe it will benefit?

Former Lancastrian Nov 24th 2011 11:31 pm

This link might be of use to you

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...sp#definitions

victorfoxtrot Nov 25th 2011 2:58 am

You say you have bills in both names? So that helps - it does say it can be mail to you both or individually. The list also says that common-law CAN be proven by providing any of the suggested documents - it doesn't say it's the only things you can provide. Do you have any invitations to weddings perhaps?

I included wedding invites to us both, plus a whole raft of emails between the two of us prior to me moving over, plus a selection of emails - I think about 2 or 3 per month showing our relationship whilst living together that detail our day to day lives and show we're not flatmates - some are pretty mundane...like me telling him to remember to pick up something for dinner, but others showing us arranging travel for our Christmas trip home or that we've been invited out to dinner and shall we accept ?etc. I think I even sent the receipt we got for buying our first Christmas tree, I sent so much stuff, but I also explained why we didn't have things such as a rental agreement - because our landlord is an a**e and wouldn't add me to it (I put it more tactfully than that!) It was really tricky for us, because I am here as a visitor and so without a SIN I could not be added to his bank account or credit card or even his healthcare with work. Only time will tell if what we sent will be enough. I hope it is!

exenglishman Nov 25th 2011 3:24 am

Originally Posted by victorfoxtrot (Post 9752989)
You say you have bills in both names? So that helps - it does say it can be mail to you both or individually. The list also says that common-law CAN be proven by providing any of the suggested documents - it doesn't say it's the only things you can provide. Do you have any invitations to weddings perhaps?

I included wedding invites to us both, plus a whole raft of emails between the two of us prior to me moving over, plus a selection of emails - I think about 2 or 3 per month showing our relationship whilst living together that detail our day to day lives and show we're not flatmates - some are pretty mundane...like me telling him to remember to pick up something for dinner, but others showing us arranging travel for our Christmas trip home or that we've been invited out to dinner and shall we accept ?etc. I think I even sent the receipt we got for buying our first Christmas tree, I sent so much stuff, but I also explained why we didn't have things such as a rental agreement - because our landlord is an a**e and wouldn't add me to it (I put it more tactfully than that!) It was really tricky for us, because I am here as a visitor and so without a SIN I could not be added to his bank account or credit card or even his healthcare with work. Only time will tell if what we sent will be enough. I hope it is!

Thanks, sounds like you were in a similar situation to what I am in now. We have my bank statements addressed to me, hers to her, both at our current address, as well as the rogers bill in her name, and various other bits and bobs in ours names, but nothing on the same bit of paper.
I have a sin, just never added one another to bank accounts. Im going to meet with RBC tomorrow and see if I can get my GF added to my credit card, i know its probably too late but if may help? The lease is signed in her name as it was done before i came to canada, I have a letter from the landlord saying i pay the rent each month and have since aug 2010, as well as statements showing the transfer of money from gf account to mine to pay half.

I also just went through and have in excess of 50 photos I will be sending of us together on many trips. photos of me with her family etc etc so should be ok. (trying to stay positive)

question for you.. on the check list it says 'please provide two statutory declarations from people you know who are aware of your relationship' did you do this? It seems on here not alot of people do and everything goes ok. yet they ask for it on the forms?

dont know what i would do without this forum!!

christmasoompa Nov 25th 2011 9:10 am

Remember that in CIC's eyes you need to prove you've been living 'as husband and wife' and have 'combined your affairs', so you'll need stuff that will prove that.

Some things like your emails, Facebook messages, birthday cards, etc, will hopefully show you are in a relationship, but of course don't show you are living together. Then there's other things like your cheques to pay the rent which show you are living together, but to be honest could just be people sharing a house or roommates. So you need to think of things that will do both. Do you have wills naming each other as beneficiaries maybe, or life insurance with the other nominated as beneficiary? Car insurance with the other person as a named driver? Basically something to show you are living as husband and wife.

Good luck. :)

victorfoxtrot Nov 25th 2011 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by chrisbrockhurst (Post 9753016)
question for you.. on the check list it says 'please provide two statutory declarations from people you know who are aware of your relationship' did you do this? It seems on here not alot of people do and everything goes ok. yet they ask for it on the forms?!

I didn't view this part as being optional, so we provided 2 (they weren't notarised as it didn't say they had to be), one from Mum & Dad and another from my sister.

exenglishman Nov 25th 2011 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by victorfoxtrot (Post 9753491)
I didn't view this part as being optional, so we provided 2 (they weren't notarised as it didn't say they had to be), one from Mum & Dad and another from my sister.

when you say they wernt notarised, do you mean they wernt signed by anyone official ie commisioner of oaths? Just your parents wrote it for you and that was it?

SchnookoLoly Nov 25th 2011 3:11 pm

It doesn't say specifically that they have to be notarised, but generally that's what they mean by "statutory declaration", hence we provided 11, 3 of which are notarised.

This is what the form says from CIC's website:

If you are a common-law or conjugal partner, provide evidence that your relationship is genuine and continuing and has existed for at least 12 months prior to your application. Also provide details of the history of your relationship and at least two statutory declarations from individuals with personal knowledge of your relationship supporting your claim that the relationship is genuine and continuing.
I went with the default thought of "statutory declarations" must be notarised. If you're the UK you can get any solicitor to sign and stamp it for £5 each, but it has to be taken and paid by the person who wrote it (the solicitor has to witness the signature).

We also provided a mix of declarations - my parents, Fiance's parents, my brother, Fiance's brother, 1 Canadian friend of mine, 2 of my UK friends, 2 of his UK friends, my aunt in canada, Fiance's cousin in the US. We figured a mix of people showed that more than just our family knows about our relationship. We wrote out a template with bullets:

Common-law sponsorship of Fiance by SchnookoLoly

Date: [date the person signs the form]

I, [full name], do solemly and sincerely declare the following:

1. I have known [Fiance/Schnookololy] since [month, year]. We met at [location/circumstance of meeting].
OR
[Fiance/SchnookoLoly] is my [family relation].

2. I met [Fiance/SchnookoLoly, whichever is not in 1 above] in pmonth, year], at [location/circumstance of meeting].

3. I have known Fiance and SchnookoLoly to be in a genuine and continuing relationship that began in November 2008.

4. Fiance and SchnookoLoly have been living together as a couple since March 2010. They became engaged in June 2011 and will be married in April 2012.

5. [any other information you can provide and are willing to swear to about our relationship – went travelling with us as a couple, visited us as a couple, participating in the wedding – anything else you want to say about the relationship]

I make this solumn declaration conscientiously believing it to be true with the same force and effect as if made under oath.

Signed,

[signature]
[full name]
[full address including country and postal/zip code]
[contact phone number(s) including country codes]

DECLARED BEFORE ME AT

[location]
in the borough of [borough]
THIS [25th] DAY OF [month],

[signature]
[full name]
[title – proof of solicitor]
[full address including country and postal/zip code]
[contact phone number(s) including country codes]

(If that helps at all!)

exenglishman Nov 25th 2011 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly (Post 9753669)
It doesn't say specifically that they have to be notarised, but generally that's what they mean by "statutory declaration", hence we provided 11, 3 of which are notarised.

This is what the form says from CIC's website:

I went with the default thought of "statutory declarations" must be notarised. If you're the UK you can get any solicitor to sign and stamp it for £5 each, but it has to be taken and paid by the person who wrote it (the solicitor has to witness the signature).

We also provided a mix of declarations - my parents, Fiance's parents, my brother, Fiance's brother, 1 Canadian friend of mine, 2 of my UK friends, 2 of his UK friends, my aunt in canada, Fiance's cousin in the US. We figured a mix of people showed that more than just our family knows about our relationship. We wrote out a template with bullets:

(If that helps at all!)

thanks, i will probably use your template as i was looking for one anyway so greatly appreciated. bit stressed now as I just got back from england and could of got my parents to do this whilst I was there. now they have to get it done and send it off to me/..during christmas mail period :( and my application is time concious as my IEC expires end of July 2012. havnt had the money to do it sooner, so gives me about 8 months and probably wont be able to send it off for another couple of weeks. stressedd!! what do you think the odds are of it getting done in 7 months?

SchnookoLoly Nov 25th 2011 4:04 pm

I'm only going by what I've read on this forum, but if you apply outland you'll probably have it sorted between 4-6 months assuming no issues... I'm also trying to ensure ours gets processed quickly and easily hence being ultra-paranoid about things and generally erring on the side of providing extras where I haven't been sure about things. The "photo essay" i put together is something like 28 pages long (2 pictures per A4 sheet)... If you apply inland, forget it.

The template we found works well. The first 4 points are rahter scripted but they say the important things, and then the last point means that people can write things themselves so it gives another indication that people are actually writing true things, and that we didn't send them a template that they blindly signed. Fiance's mom wrote about a half-page worth of stuff, whereas one of my friends wrote about 3 sentences. We don't mind much either way, it's just nice that overall it makes the forms seem a bit more legit.

exenglishman Nov 25th 2011 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly (Post 9753769)
I'm only going by what I've read on this forum, but if you apply outland you'll probably have it sorted between 4-6 months assuming no issues... I'm also trying to ensure ours gets processed quickly and easily hence being ultra-paranoid about things and generally erring on the side of providing extras where I haven't been sure about things. The "photo essay" i put together is something like 28 pages long (2 pictures per A4 sheet)... If you apply inland, forget it.

The template we found works well. The first 4 points are rahter scripted but they say the important things, and then the last point means that people can write things themselves so it gives another indication that people are actually writing true things, and that we didn't send them a template that they blindly signed. Fiance's mom wrote about a half-page worth of stuff, whereas one of my friends wrote about 3 sentences. We don't mind much either way, it's just nice that overall it makes the forms seem a bit more legit.

exactly the same here, want to make sure theres nothing that holds up the application. hopefully 4-6 months it will be!

question for you though (just my worry mind) lets say it takes a bit longer, and suppose my passport is out on request in london when my visa expires.. what happens? on my current visa it says 'must leave canada by july 29th' what if i dont have my passport, am i stuck in limbo in canada? haha. and do i have to leave and re-enter canada to activate my PR status?