Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Would you go to SK with 11months left on your IEC?

Would you go to SK with 11months left on your IEC?

Old Sep 15th 2013, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

smitas5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Would you go to SK with 11months left on your IEC?

I have 11 months left on my IEC visa and it's looking good with the position I'm going for in Regina, SK. Just wondering what are my chances to extend/get different visa in SK. Al I know:
-SINP - I need to work for 6 months before I can apply and then it can take too long before I get approved, causing me to become a tourist
-LMO - not sure if employer will go for it, having in mind 9 people turned up for the position, so can't say nobody wanted it
-Study visa for my wife?

Any ideas if SK is at all suitable to go to with short visa like that? I service medical equipment (class A).

Thanks
Old Sep 18th 2013, 4:26 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you go to SK with 11months left on your IEC?

Originally Posted by smitas5
I have 11 months left on my IEC visa and it's looking good with the position I'm going for in Regina, SK. Just wondering what are my chances to extend/get different visa in SK. Al I know:
-SINP - I need to work for 6 months before I can apply and then it can take too long before I get approved, causing me to become a tourist
-LMO - not sure if employer will go for it, having in mind 9 people turned up for the position, so can't say nobody wanted it
-Study visa for my wife?

Any ideas if SK is at all suitable to go to with short visa like that? I service medical equipment (class A).

Thanks
If you get approval for SINP you can request that they give you a letter of support that you can then use to apply for a TWP at the port of entry. What stream are you hoping to apply under, because if it is the 'hospitality sector' stream, your employer would need to get approval before you arrived in Canada in order to qualify. http://www.saskimmigrationcanada.ca/hospitality. If you are hoping to apply under the Skilled worker stream, there is no requirement to work for 6 months first. http://www.saskimmigrationcanada.ca/skilled

"... You may qualify to apply under the SINP Skilled Workers Category if:

You live outside of Canada or you have proof of legal status in Canada, you are not a refugee claimant and you have the following:
An offer of permanent, full-time employment in Saskatchewan either in an occupation or trade in the National Occupational Classification (NOC) Matrix level "A", "B" or "0", or in a designated trade in Saskatchewan (Skilled Workers/Professionals Sub-Category)... "

If you are applying under the Skilled Worker Existing Work Permit stream, you would need to work for 6 months.

You could apply for a 2nd IEC (provided you meet the requirements) to give you more time.

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 18th 2013 at 4:32 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2013, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
If you get approval for SINP you can request that they give you a letter of support that you can then use to apply for a TWP at the port of entry. What stream are you hoping to apply under, because if it is the 'hospitality sector' stream, your employer would need to get approval before you arrived in Canada in order to qualify. http://www.saskimmigrationcanada.ca/hospitality. If you are hoping to apply under the Skilled worker stream, there is no requirement to work for 6 months first. http://www.saskimmigrationcanada.ca/skilled

"... You may qualify to apply under the SINP Skilled Workers Category if:

You live outside of Canada or you have proof of legal status in Canada, you are not a refugee claimant and you have the following:
An offer of permanent, full-time employment in Saskatchewan either in an occupation or trade in the National Occupational Classification (NOC) Matrix level "A", "B" or "0", or in a designated trade in Saskatchewan (Skilled Workers/Professionals Sub-Category)... "

If you are applying under the Skilled Worker Existing Work Permit stream, you would need to work for 6 months.

You could apply for a 2nd IEC (provided you meet the requirements) to give you more time.

First of thanks for your reply.
I'm nearly there with job offer for a job in servicing meical equipment. NOC 2242 which is in level "A". I'm already here with work permit already, so I have to work for 6 months before I can apply right? cant void that 6 months with SINP?
is IEC classed as temporary work permit?

I think IEC needs me to apply for the next one, 3 months after expiry of a first IEC, which will make it nearly 6 months gap... no employer will wait that long.

Anybody did apply for SINP under this category ( Skilled Worker Existing Work Permit stream )? wonder how long can it take, cause it will be tight, considering 6 months work before I can apply..

Thanks
Old Sep 18th 2013, 5:36 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

First of thanks for your reply.
I'm nearly there with job offer for a job in servicing meical equipment. NOC 2242 which is in level "A". I'm already here with work permit already, so I have to work for 6 months before I can apply right? cant void that 6 months with SINP?
is IEC classed as temporary work permit?

I think IEC needs me to apply for the next one, 3 months after expiry of a first IEC, which will make it nearly 6 months gap... no employer will wait that long.

Anybody did apply for SINP under this category ( Skilled Worker Existing Work Permit stream )? wonder how long can it take, cause it will be tight, considering 6 months work before I can apply..

Thanks
The skilled worker "existing work permit" is for people currently employed by a company who then decide to offer a full time permanent position to them. You also need to have been issued an LMO to apply under this category.

The 'skilled worker' catagory is for people who have been offered a full time permanent job, but are not currently working for the company (though they can be in Canada already).

I believe you would be able to apply under the 'skilled worker' catagory as you are not presently working for the company, however, you should wait and see if anyone else can confirm this as I am not qualified to state this categorically!

You can read more here: http://www.saskimmigrationcanada.ca/...killed-workers

Regarding the IEC, there is no requirement to wait to apply again - you can apply as soon as the IEC program opens again (probably December/January) provided you meet the other requirements.

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 18th 2013 at 5:40 pm.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 4:10 am
Forum Regular

I don't get the wording in between the two SINP skilled categories..

You may qualify to apply under the SINP Skilled Workers Category if:

An offer of permanent, full-time employment in Saskatchewan either in an occupation or trade in the National Occupational Classification (NOC) Matrix level "A", "B" or "0", or in a designated trade in Saskatchewan (Skilled Workers/Professionals Sub-Category).

Can I apply for this category if I already have Work Permit and a job offer? or do I have to apply under the second? SINP Existing Work Permit Category just because I have Work Permit?

Anybody?
Old Sep 19th 2013, 6:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Can I apply for this category if I already have Work Permit and a job offer? or do I have to apply under the second? SINP Existing Work Permit Category just because I have Work Permit?
If you re-read Souxie's reply you'll see that she's already answered this - you can't apply under the work permit category as you don't have a LMO.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
If you re-read Souxie's reply you'll see that she's already answered this - you can't apply under the work permit category as you don't have a LMO.
Thanks For Your reply, but if you follow the skilled link, the isn't once mentioned word LMO in that page.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 3:22 pm
Banned

Thanks For Your reply, but if you follow the skilled link, the isn't once mentioned word LMO in that page.
On the Skilled worker with existing work permit it does.

The skilled worker "existing work permit" is for people currently employed by a company who then decide to offer a full time permanent position to them. You need to have been issued an LMO to apply under this category.

The 'skilled worker' catagory is for people who have been offered a full time permanent job, but are not currently working for the company (though they can be in Canada already).

http://www.saskimmigrationcanada.ca/...killed-workers

To be considered in this sub-category, you must:

1. Have a valid work permit issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).
2. Have a confirmed offer of permanent, full-time employment with a Saskatchewan employer.
3. Have worked for more than six months under a Work Permit issued by CIC for the employer offering you the job. Your work permit must be supported by a Service Canada’s (SC) labour market confirmation or a North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) exemption.
4. Have a job offer in an occupation of level “A”, “B” or “0”in the National
Occupational Classification Matrix, or in a designated trade in Saskatchewan.
5. Provide a copy of your labour market opinion (LMO) issued by Service Canada.
Old Sep 19th 2013, 3:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

You mean apart from the bit on page 8 where it says:

"To be considered in this sub-category, you must:

1. Have a valid work permit issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).

2. Have a confirmed offer of permanent, full-time employment with a Saskatchewan employer.

3. Have worked for more than six months under a Work Permit issued by CIC for the employer offering you the job. Your work permit must be supported by a Service Canada’s (SC) labour market confirmation or a North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) exemption.

4. Have a job offer in an occupation of level “A”, “B” or “0”in the National Occupational Classification Matrix, or in a designated trade in Saskatchewan.

5. Provide a copy of your labour market opinion (LMO) issued by Service Canada."

Old Sep 20th 2013, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

You guys were correct. I called SINP line and had a quick chat with them.
for the Work Permit skilled category LMO is needed, so no way it works for me.

I can aply under SINP Skilled Workers Category..

he mentionned 3 main things here:
--- have to gather 35 points in self assesment.. If anybody could explain how to gather so many points as I so far only see:
+8 points for Bachelors
+10 points for work experience
As for language not too sure.. in one SINP section it has mentioned no need for language test if you have job offer and not in C or D matrix. so I hve joboffer and in A matrix. So how many point do I get for it then? none? Would completion of Colege in Ireland be enough proof I an speak it?
+ mabe 1 or 2 for employer settlement support as I was promissed relocation package..
+10 points for age
+ 1 or 2 points for funds possibly

--- employer has to register for preapproval
--- also have to proove history in same field
Old Sep 20th 2013, 4:19 pm
Banned

You guys were correct. I called SINP line and had a quick chat with them.
for the Work Permit skilled category LMO is needed, so no way it works for me.

I can aply under SINP Skilled Workers Category..

he mentionned 3 main things here:
--- have to gather 35 points in self assesment.. If anybody could explain how to gather so many points as I so far only see:
+8 points for Bachelors
+10 points for work experience
As for language not too sure.. in one SINP section it has mentioned no need for language test if you have job offer and not in C or D matrix. so I hve joboffer and in A matrix. So how many point do I get for it then? none? Would completion of Colege in Ireland be enough proof I an speak it?
+ mabe 1 or 2 for employer settlement support as I was promissed relocation package..
+10 points for age
+ 1 or 2 points for funds possibly

--- employer has to register for preapproval
--- also have to proove history in same field
Most of your questions are answered in the guide: http://www.saskimmigrationcanada.ca/...killed-workers

"...If your first language is not English or French, you must prove your English/French language ability with one of the following..."

You will need to show your degree program was conducted in English to gain the points for Language, but there is not a requirement to have the IELTS.

8 points for a degree
10 points for work experience
10 points for language
5 points for working in Saskatchewan for 6 months
10 points for age

= 43 points - more than enough!

Old Sep 20th 2013, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Most of your questions are answered in the guide: http://www.saskimmigrationcanada.ca/...killed-workers

"...If your first language is not English or French, you must prove your English/French language ability with one of the following..."

You will need to show your degree program was conducted in English to gain the points for Language, but there is not a requirement to have the IELTS.

8 points for a degree
10 points for work experience
10 points for language
5 points for working in Saskatchewan for 6 months
10 points for age

= 43 points - more than enough!

Thaks for that, the reason I asked was that I wasn't sure wht do I get if I get away from not doing the test with IELTS.. (did one 2.5years ago, I think I got 7)
Didn't start work with the employer yet, so -5 points for me

Another question.. i spoke to them yesterday and they claimed it will take 7 months to process... Is this the average time? Can this be done any faster? I mean will it take 7 months or more or are they just trying to insure themselves in case it will take longer, but actually can tke less?

Thanks for that.. just seeing my 11months melting towards 10 and things aren't getting any closer to anything...

Oh how long can it take to get the employer approval in SINP?
Old Sep 20th 2013, 4:46 pm
Banned

Thaks for that, the reason I asked was that I wasn't sure wht do I get if I get away from not doing the test with IELTS.. (did one 2.5years ago, I think I got 7)
Didn't start work with the employer yet, so -5 points for me

Another question.. i spoke to them yesterday and they claimed it will take 7 months to process... Is this the average time? Can this be done any faster? I mean will it take 7 months or more or are they just trying to insure themselves in case it will take longer, but actually can tke less?

Thanks for that.. just seeing my 11months melting towards 10 and things aren't getting any closer to anything...

Oh how long can it take to get the employer approval in SINP?
Presumably you took your degree in English? That 'should' give you 10 points if you can show your transcripts, but even if you used your IELTS from before that would give you 7 - you would need to show a copy of the results I believe.

I'm not sure about how long it takes to get SINP, if you do a search on the forum for SINP (select Canada Immigration) you will find a few threads about it.

I would suggest coming over asap and starting the process, once you have SINP nomination you can request a letter of support and will be able to obtain a TWP to keep you going until PR is granted.

Old Sep 25th 2013, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

anyone can advise on how long can it take in practice? Thanks
Old Sep 25th 2013, 3:37 am
Banned

anyone can advise on how long can it take in practice? Thanks
Did you do a search as suggested? Here are two to be going on with.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...highlight=SINP
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...highlight=SINP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.