Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Would be incredibly grateful for assistance re ETA and convictions and health

Would be incredibly grateful for assistance re ETA and convictions and health

Old Jun 9th 2016, 10:49 am
Just Joined

lm2471 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Would be incredibly grateful for assistance re ETA and convictions and health

Hello there -

I'm writing in the hopes that you may be able to help me with a matter regarding the procurement of an ETA.

Twenty nine years ago, I was convicted of possession of approx one eighth of an ounce of marijuana and possession with intent to supply one eighth of an ounce of marijuana. I have become aware that in Canada this is a very serious crime and am wondering if I would be in any way eligible for rehabilitation. This was a first offence and the only time I have in any way had any dealings with the police. It was dealt with at a magistrates court only.

The crime was in 1987 and both things happened on the same day. I was not a drug dealer and this was the first and only time I had ever procured anything like this for anyone. There are some important mitigating circumstances to this which I am hoping will appear on the copy of my court records, for which I have put in a request. I attempted to procure copies of anything held by the police force that arrested me (Thames Valley) but was told they no longer have any records of this as it was too long ago.

On my ACRO certificate the crimes come up - same crime number but two convictions (this all happened the same day) and for one I got a £75 fine and for the other a conditional discharge for 12 months. There is no information other than this. It does not even state what the substance was (it simply calls it a "controlled substance"), so when read it could literally mean anything. Neither was my guilty plea on this; it said plea unknown which also looks very "shady".

Further to this, the court which I was convicted in closed down 27 years ago and I have been calling all the courts the police thought may have my records, ending up at one who said if they were kept anywhere they would be with them, but having had an initial look they are having problems locating these records, though having called them earlier they have assured me they will look again, but that their basement is filled with paper court records and it isn't an easy task due to the time the crime occurred (i.e. almost 30 years ago now).

I do not wish to immigrate - England is my home and I don't think I would ever want to leave it (I have a lovely home, my friends and family are, in the majority, in this country, as is my doctor and my dog - which is an illegal breed in Canada; this is solely an attempt to get an ETA in order to visit friends who have invited me over (open ended offer, no flights booked or anything) to visit them for a few weeks one summer.

This all became a concern to me when I attempted to apply for my ETA. I ended up closing my application because I really was not sure how to proceed and in addition, any attempts to link accounts did not work on the CIC application site so I never did discover what questions they were asking, or what documentation they wanted.

Additionally (and this may not be relevant), I am a chronic pain patient and have been for years and will be for the rest of my life - thus I am not able to work due to having unpredictable flare-ups which can last weeks or months at a time (I actually had to cancel a holiday to Spain due to a flare up occuring on the day of travel and lasting for several weeks) and it would be very hard to find an employer who would be happy with me being irregularly unreliable in attendance due to this, although I have done voluntary work when I have been able to. I am not on any heavy medication and do self manage the pain as best as I can but the problem is, will they allow me to take a holiday to Canada with this condition and, as a result my having to choose the Unemployed section? Rather ironically, my last job was as a qualified drugs counselor at a homeless shelter back in 1993 or thereabouts.

Obviously I have savings (before I developed this condition I worked since leaving school solidly and was always taught how to money-manage) and therefore have beyond sufficient money to fund a trip to Canada or I would not be considering going. With that said, my friends are willing to host me at their home at no cost as I have done the same for them here in England on about four occasions and they wish to return the favor.

Any assistance on any of this matter would be greatly appreciated and I thank you for reading this longer than intended post.

Last edited by lm2471; Jun 9th 2016 at 10:57 am.
Old Jun 9th 2016, 11:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would be incredibly grateful for assistance re ETA and convictions and health

As long as you paid the fine then for this offence you would be deemed rehabilitated IMHO as the 2 x convictions arose out of the same offence and IIRC a conditional discharge is not a conviction.
Just answer the question truthfully on the eTA application and if necessary provide whatever details you can if required or requested.
I wouldn't lose sleep over this.
As for the medical condition make sure any drugs you carry are prescription drugs and contained in their original container.
Baggies of assorted pills tend to peak the interest of Customs officers.
Old Jun 9th 2016, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Would be incredibly grateful for assistance re ETA and convictions and health

Thank you so much! That is incredibly helpful. I really do appreciate this as I was becoming quite concerned.

In your opinion, would you consider it a good idea to send off a Rehabilitation Application for Information Only to the High Commission in London prior to re-applying for the eTA? (by that I mean are the eTA people likely to request the response letter from the High Commission?) If this is a good idea, would I need to send in the form complete with character references and so on or would just my personal statement and the ACRO certificate suffice? I ask this, because, as I said, on the ACRO form it doesn't actually state what substance I had on me, and so really, if the court records cannot be found, it would be a case of them having to take my word for it being marijuana.

The court have said they would send me a letter stating they cannot find the records if that proves to be the case on their second look, but that will not tell the Canadian Government what the substance was, which is slightly concerning.

As to the medication, I always keep it in its packets and when I have travelled previously overseas I have taken a letter from my doctor with an explanation of my condition and what the medication does.

Again, thank you so much! Your response has given me a tremendous boost as I would love to take a holiday and see my friends, perhaps next summer

Last edited by lm2471; Jun 9th 2016 at 12:33 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2016, 5:13 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lm2471
my doctor and my dog - which is an illegal breed in Canada
The doctor or the dog?
Old Jun 9th 2016, 5:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Aviator
The doctor or the dog?

Hahahaha! That's hilarious. I see what I did there.
Old Jun 9th 2016, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much! That is incredibly helpful. I really do appreciate this as I was becoming quite concerned.

In your opinion, would you consider it a good idea to send off a Rehabilitation Application for Information Only to the High Commission in London prior to re-applying for the eTA? (by that I mean are the eTA people likely to request the response letter from the High Commission?) If this is a good idea, would I need to send in the form complete with character references and so on or would just my personal statement and the ACRO certificate suffice? I ask this, because, as I said, on the ACRO form it doesn't actually state what substance I had on me, and so really, if the court records cannot be found, it would be a case of them having to take my word for it being marijuana.

The court have said they would send me a letter stating they cannot find the records if that proves to be the case on their second look, but that will not tell the Canadian Government what the substance was, which is slightly concerning.

As to the medication, I always keep it in its packets and when I have travelled previously overseas I have taken a letter from my doctor with an explanation of my condition and what the medication does.

Again, thank you so much! Your response has given me a tremendous boost as I would love to take a holiday and see my friends, perhaps next summer
An application for rehab info only is the other option but these can take up to several months to process as opposed to submitting the eTA and getting notification of positive or refused.
When do you intend to travel?
Old Jun 9th 2016, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

I don't have any specific date set yet but probably next summer if all goes well.
Old Jun 9th 2016, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't have any specific date set yet but probably next summer if all goes well.
That should give sufficient time for the info only rehab application and official confirmation from CIC of your status i.e. admissible or inadmissible.
Old Jun 10th 2016, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
That should give sufficient time for the info only rehab application and official confirmation from CIC of your status i.e. admissible or inadmissible.
That's good. Regarding the sending in of the Rehabilitation Application to the High Commission in London (where I tick for info only) would it be appropriate to include character refs, letter from lawyer or NACRO re our Rehabilitation of Offenders act, personal statement etc as one would if applying for rehabilitation - or, would my police and court documents (if they ever find the court documents!) and a couple of paragraphs in a covering letter suffice?

Maybe someone who has sent off a "For Info Only" pack may be able to advise?

And thank you again, Former Lancastrian - you have been brilliant
Old Jun 10th 2016, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That's good. Regarding the sending in of the Rehabilitation Application to the High Commission in London (where I tick for info only) would it be appropriate to include character refs, letter from lawyer or NACRO re our Rehabilitation of Offenders act, personal statement etc as one would if applying for rehabilitation - or, would my police and court documents (if they ever find the court documents!) and a couple of paragraphs in a covering letter suffice?

Maybe someone who has sent off a "For Info Only" pack may be able to advise?

And thank you again, Former Lancastrian - you have been brilliant
If doing an info only I wouldn't submit character letters etc but provide any Police certificate or court documents etc. Make sure you keep copies just in case you did have to submit a full package at a later date if found inadmissible. If they send a letter stating not inadmissible then take that if you travel to Canada.

I will go out on a limb and bet you a pint you won't be found inadmissible.
Old Jun 10th 2016, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
If doing an info only I wouldn't submit character letters etc but provide any Police certificate or court documents etc. Make sure you keep copies just in case you did have to submit a full package at a later date if found inadmissible. If they send a letter stating not inadmissible then take that if you travel to Canada.

I will go out on a limb and bet you a pint you won't be found inadmissible.
Oh, bless you. Thank you so much for all your help. As soon as the Magistrates Court people find (or maybe not find!) my court notes I will start the process of completing the form for information only and send off what you have suggested. I will let you know how I get on Have a lovely weekend.