FSW & NOC Assessment - 4163

Old Jun 9th 2016, 10:51 pm
Just Joined

Midnightrunner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default FSW & NOC Assessment - 4163

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, so greetings from Herts, UK!

I'm researching immigrating into Canada through the Federal Skilled Worker's program, and I'm uncertain whether I would qualify as a skilled worker in my current profession, market research. Within the NOC structure, this falls under unit group 4163 "Business development officers and marketing researchers and consultants". According to CIC, I need to meet the following standard:
"You must show that you did the duties set out in the lead statement of the occupational description in the NOC, including all the essential duties and most of the main duties listed.

If you cannot show that your work experience meets the description in the NOC, you are not eligible under this program."
I should meet the requirements in terms of essential duties and main duties, and I have three year's experience in the profession. The NOC profile, however, also has a section called "Employment Requirements".
"- A bachelor's degree in economics, commerce, business administration or public administration is required.
- Certification as a certified economic developer (Ec.D.) may be required."
I do not possess the above, instead having completed a degree in history (I also have a certificate in market research accredited by the representative professional body in the UK). The assessment criteria provided by CIC does not mention the "Employment Requirements" section, but I'm wondering whether neglecting this might constitute a narrow reading.

Would anyone be able to advise on whether or not I might qualify, based on their understanding or experience? Any input would be massively appreciated!

Many thanks in advance for your help!
Old Jun 10th 2016, 6:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FSW & NOC Assessment - 4163

Hi, and welcome to BE.

You're correct that the criteria doesn't mention the employment section as being a requirement, so there's no need to worry about that bit at all. It's not a trick, as they say you just have to meet the main duties etc, and the rest isn't relevant for a FSW application.

Will you score enough on the CRS to get PR without a job offer? As the employment criteria is sometimes used when assessing LMIA's, so if you need a job offer/LMIA to get PR, it might be a factor then.

HTH, good luck.
Old Jun 10th 2016, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for clarifying, that's very helpful.

I've calculated my score under the CRS criteria, and under the 'six selection factors' for FSW, and I'm coming out with 449 and 68 respectively. I understand that there's a minimum threshold of 67 to be eligible for FSW, whilst the CRS is assessed relative to the other candidates in the pool. I gather from reading around that a higher CRS score may be required?
Old Jun 10th 2016, 8:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Midnightrunner
Thanks for clarifying, that's very helpful.

I've calculated my score under the CRS criteria, and under the 'six selection factors' for FSW, and I'm coming out with 449 and 68 respectively. I understand that there's a minimum threshold of 67 to be eligible for FSW, whilst the CRS is assessed relative to the other candidates in the pool. I gather from reading around that a higher CRS score may be required?
At 449 you might get lucky. The lowest it's ever gone to is 453 irrc, so you're very close to that. Any way you can get another 20 or so points to be in with more of a chance?
Old Jun 10th 2016, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
At 449 you might get lucky. The lowest it's ever gone to is 453 irrc, so you're very close to that. Any way you can get another 20 or so points to be in with more of a chance?
Reviewing my sums, I hadn't treated my market research certificate as a second post-secondary qualification in the skill transferability section. Assuming that's applicable and I see no reason why it shouldn't be, that's an extra 25 points in the bag, which would bring me to 474 .

That's exciting!
Old Jun 10th 2016, 10:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Reviewing my sums, I hadn't treated my market research certificate as a second post-secondary qualification in the skill transferability section. Assuming that's applicable and I see no reason why it shouldn't be, that's an extra 25 points in the bag, which would bring me to 474 .

That's exciting!
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I'd doubt that will qualify. Vocational certificates aren't usually counted or assessed, only academic - but definitely worth getting it assessed just in case. Who was it awarded by? If it was a recognised body i.e. NVQ, then you might be in with a shot.
Old Jun 10th 2016, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I'd doubt that will qualify. Vocational certificates aren't usually counted or assessed, only academic - but definitely worth getting it assessed just in case. Who was it awarded by? If it was a recognised body i.e. NVQ, then you might be in with a shot.
It was awarded by the MRS (Market Research Society). Would professional bodies be classified differently to the likes of NVQ? In terms of getting it assessed, is that just a matter of including it on the application?
Old Jun 10th 2016, 10:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

It was awarded by the MRS (Market Research Society). Would professional bodies be classified differently to the likes of NVQ? In terms of getting it assessed, is that just a matter of including it on the application?
No, you need an ECA - you can't apply under EE without one. Have your education assessed — Skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

Yes, it would be classed differently, as I think it likely it would be deemed a vocational qualification unfortunately. But worth a try when you get your ECA for your degree.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 10th 2016 at 10:45 pm.
Old Jun 10th 2016, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

No, you need an ECA - you can't apply under EE without one. Have your education assessed — Skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

Yes, it would be classed differently, as I think it likely it would be deemed a vocational qualification unfortunately. Is that your only post-secondary education or do you have a degree or other academic diploma?
Thanks for this. No, I have a degree in history but I was hoping to include the certificate as a second post-secondary qualification.

"Two or more post-secondary program credentials."

I can see how that's aimed at academic qualifications. I was transfering my reading of "certificate" as described in the education level section, which would seem to be more accomodating:

"One-year degree, diploma or certificate from a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute"

Am I incorrect in reading a different emphasis here? I.e. is the certificate also likely to be ineligible for the purposes of the below in the same education level section?

"Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees. One must be for a program of three or more years"

The advice is much appreciated: better I find out now than later.
Old Jun 11th 2016, 6:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Yes, sorry, I re-read your post and edited mine after I realised you do have a degree.

It's just that vocational certs aren't accepted for ECA purposes generally. You can see info on each ECA agency's website, but for instance with WES it says on their website "WES does not evaluate occupational or trade qualifications."

So do try, if you're getting your degree assessed anyway then you might as well, but I think it very unlikely it would be deemed to be an academic qualification and worth any points personally. But you never know!

Best of luck.