Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Canadian Permanent Residence Card length?

Canadian Permanent Residence Card length?

Old Jun 12th 2016, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

sultanoflondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian Permanent Residence Card length?

Hi all,

Within what period of time would someone have to enter Canada after securing a Permanent Residence Card to stop it from expiring?

Also, am I correct in thinking that you may apply for a Canadian passport after four years of living in Canada on Permanent Residence Card?

Thank you very much!
Old Jun 12th 2016, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Permanent Residence Card length?

For PR you need to land before medical is 12 months old. Or if you already have PR you need to spend x amount of days over x years to maintain residency

Once you have met residency requirements you an apply for citizenship and only once you have met citizenship requirements and attended oath ceremony can you apply for a passport

Canadian citizenship
Old Jun 12th 2016, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102 View Post
For PR you need to land before medical is 12 months old. Or if you already have PR you need to spend x amount of days over x years to maintain residency

Once you have met residency requirements you an apply for citizenship and only once you have met citizenship requirements and attended oath ceremony can you apply for a passport

Canadian citizenship
Thank you for your reply!

Sorry haha, I'm not in Canada so I don't understand exactly what a "medical" is?

And so meeting residency requirements isn't that difficult if you are a British expat in Canada: you will meet them naturally over four years (I think it is four years out of the last six years as a legal permanent resident of Canada).
Old Jun 12th 2016, 8:36 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sultanoflondon View Post
Thank you for your reply!

Sorry haha, I'm not in Canada so I don't understand exactly what a "medical" is?

And so meeting residency requirements isn't that difficult if you are a British expat in Canada: you will meet them naturally over four years (I think it is four years out of the last six years as a legal permanent resident of Canada).
The medical means the medical certificate you got when you applied for your visa, you must land in Canada within 12 months of the date of that certificate to activate the PR.
Old Jun 12th 2016, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
The medical means the medical certificate you got when you applied for your visa, you must land in Canada within 12 months of the date of that certificate to activate the PR.
Ah that's great! Thank you!

Would a medical certificate be issued by a NHS England hospital? How is it obtained?
Old Jun 12th 2016, 8:41 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Ah that's great! Thank you!

Would a medical certificate be issued by a NHS England hospital? How is it obtained?
Do you even have a PR card, a visa to live and work in Canada?
Old Jun 12th 2016, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
Do you even have a PR card, a visa to live and work in Canada?
No. I am just curious as to whether it is a possibility for me in the future and what this would entail in terms of requirements.
Old Jun 12th 2016, 8:53 am
Concierge

No. I am just curious as to whether it is a possibility for me in the future and what this would entail in terms of requirements.
It's all a bit of a moot point then, you haven't even applied for a visa, you don't know what the current requirements are and, even if you did, at the 'sometime in the future' all the requirements will almost certainly have changed.
Old Jun 12th 2016, 8:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Have a good read of the CIC website then as well. Before worrying about a medical (which can't be done via the NHS, you must pay to have it done at a 'Designated Medical Practitioner' - list of which is on the CIC website so you can find your nearest), you'd need to check to see if you are even eligible for a visa.

As said above, you have a year from your medical to land, and then to keep PR you must spend at least 730 days out of every 5 year period in Canada.

Citizenship is after 4 years of PR, but you're probably at least 6 years away from worrying about that!

Good luck.
Old Jun 12th 2016, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
Have a good read of the CIC website then as well. Before worrying about a medical (which can't be done via the NHS, you must pay to have it done at a 'Designated Medical Practitioner' - list of which is on the CIC website so you can find your nearest), you'd need to check to see if you are even eligible for a visa.

As said above, you have a year from your medical to land, and then to keep PR you must spend at least 730 days out of every 5 year period in Canada.

Citizenship is after 4 years of PR, but you're probably at least 6 years away from worrying about that!

Good luck.
Thank you for clarifying!
Old Jun 12th 2016, 9:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for clarifying!
No probs. I see you've been asking about Canada/US for two and a half years, are you now doing your degree in the UK? Just that if not, then why not go over to Canada on an IEC so that you can at least try living there and hopefully make it easier for you to stay permanently if you wanted to? You're unlikely to qualify for PR without a job offer anyway.

I assume from your posts that you're under 30? So that could be well worth looking at. Go for it!