Working remotely without PR

Old Apr 8th 2020, 9:53 am
Just Joined

Thaig is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working remotely without PR

Hi all,

I was working with an employer in AB whilst I was on my Working Holiday visa from the UK until it ended last month. If they were interested in hiring me again as a remote worker now that I've returned to the UK, would this be legal? I am working on gaining my PR status but as of right now I am not a PR or even temporary resident of Canada.

I am also legitimately considering setting up a consultancy business here in the UK for my area of expertise. But if I set up this a consultancy business, my only client for now would be my old employer. I am wondering if this would put myself (and any future Canadian PR applications) or my old employer at risk.

Any advice or prior experience relating to any of this would be well received.

Thanks!
Old Apr 8th 2020, 9:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working remotely without PR

Absolutely fine, it's not going to jeopardise anything visa wise.

HTH, good luck and welcome to BE.
Old Apr 8th 2020, 9:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Absolutely fine, it's not going to jeopardise anything visa wise.

HTH, good luck and welcome to BE.
That's great. Would I be best getting paid into a Canadian bank account or British in this case? Or it there no difference in legal terms?
Old Apr 8th 2020, 10:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thaig
That's great. Would I be best getting paid into a Canadian bank account or British in this case? Or it there no difference in legal terms?
It would probably be easier to get paid in to a UK bank account, if the company will do that. Saves you having to pay the transaction fees, and just makes it easier for tax return time. But from a visa point of view it makes no difference at all.

One thing to mention re: visas, is that working for a Canadian company but from the UK won't count as Canadian work experience, just in case you need that for your PR app. How are you applying for PR? Hopefully if you apply soon (or already have applied), you won't have to work in the UK for too long. Would the company consider applying for a LMIA for you so that you could go back over and work there on a work permit whilst you wait for PR maybe?
Old Apr 8th 2020, 10:14 am
Just Joined

It would probably be easier to get paid in to a UK bank account, if the company will do that. Saves you having to pay the transaction fees, and just makes it easier for tax return time. But from a visa point of view it makes no difference at all.

One thing to mention re: visas, is that working for a Canadian company but from the UK won't count as Canadian work experience, just in case you need that for your PR app. How are you applying for PR? Hopefully if you apply soon (or already have applied), you won't have to work in the UK for too long. Would the company consider applying for a LMIA for you so that you could go back over and work there on a work permit whilst you wait for PR maybe?
Do you know of any information publishes online that would address the point of working remotely for a Canadian company? I can't find anything on the government website.

I'm currently sat at 444 points for CEC unless I get some more points somehow but my plan is to very shortly send off the paperwork for spousal sponsorship as my common-law partner (Canadian citizen) is living here in the UK with me. I did look into LMIAs but it seems so unlikely that I'd ever get one. They sound super difficult to obtain.
Old Apr 8th 2020, 10:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Do you know of any information publishes online that would address the point of working remotely for a Canadian company? I can't find anything on the government website.
There isn't anything, because it's just not relevant. Working for a Canadian company in any country has no bearing on being eligible for a visa. You'll pay tax in the UK, you'll be resident there, where your company is based doesn't matter. I worked for a Canadian company from the UK for years.

I'm currently sat at 444 points for CEC unless I get some more points somehow but my plan is to very shortly send off the paperwork for spousal sponsorship as my common-law partner (Canadian citizen) is living here in the UK with me. I did look into LMIAs but it seems so unlikely that I'd ever get one. They sound super difficult to obtain.
Ah, if you've got spousal sponsorship open to you as a route, then that's by far the quickest and easiest way over. Nice and easy!

Best of luck.

Old Apr 8th 2020, 10:25 am
Just Joined

There isn't anything, because it's just not relevant. Working for a Canadian company in any country has no bearing on being eligible for a visa. You'll pay tax in the UK, you'll be resident there, where your company is based doesn't matter. I worked for a Canadian company from the UK for years.

Ah, if you've got spousal sponsorship open to you as a route, then that's by far the quickest and easiest way over. Nice and easy!

Best of luck.
Thank you for taking the time to respond. It's much appreciated. Have a good one!
Old Apr 8th 2020, 11:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Thank you for taking the time to respond. It's much appreciated. Have a good one!
You are most welcome. When you come to do your spousal sponsorship app, our Wiki has an amazing FAQ which is a brilliant resource (sticky thread above) and will no doubt be useful.

Best of luck with it.