Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 and PR Residency Obligation

Covid-19 and PR Residency Obligation

Old Apr 6th 2020, 3:49 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Covid-19 and PR Residency Obligation

I received my PRTD shortly before this whole virus situation really kicked off in the UK and Canada closed the borders to non-citizens and PR's. Right now I am well within RO however if the whole situation continues until after my PRTD expires in a little under 12 months from now and I do somehow end up finding myself outside of RO then would the current global situation count as reasonably H&C grounds?

The current situation is that the UK is advising its entire citizenry against all international travel combined with the fact that any returning Canadian/PR needs to quarantine themselves for a fortnight or face potential legal repercussions. Since I have no address in Canada, the quarantine requirement would be extraordinarily difficult for me to fulfil and also flights from the UK are currently being cancelled left, right and centre anyway. Additionally I wouldn't be able to secure the adequate kind of medical insurance to cover me before any provincial program kicks in because no new proper medical or travel insurance packages are really being sold in the UK at the moment.

Hopefully the global travel situation will be done and dusted long before my PRTD expires but I'm just trying to cover the bases really. The official CIC web pages regarding RO haven't been updated so far as I can see.
Old Apr 7th 2020, 12:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Covid-19 and PR Residency Obligation

I would imagine there will be some exemptions made for the residency obligation, but you'd need to provide evidence of not being able to travel i.e. proof of cancelled flights. Your mention of quarantine and UK based insurance wouldn't be relevant or reasons not to travel - many are quarantining in hotels, which is what you'd have to do, and you don't buy insurance from a UK company anyway, it would be a Canadian company for that. So really the only limitation would be not being able to get travel.

It's all a guess at the moment though, but personally I think there will be some exemptions made for those that can prove they couldn't get on a plane.
Old Apr 7th 2020, 1:23 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I would imagine there will be some exemptions made for the residency obligation, but you'd need to provide evidence of not being able to travel i.e. proof of cancelled flights. Your mention of quarantine and UK based insurance wouldn't be relevant or reasons not to travel - many are quarantining in hotels, which is what you'd have to do, and you don't buy insurance from a UK company anyway, it would be a Canadian company for that. So really the only limitation would be not being able to get travel.

It's all a guess at the moment though, but personally I think there will be some exemptions made for those that can prove they couldn't get on a plane.
Thanks as always. Would that even apply if you were travelling against the advice of the FCO? Which obviously any UK citizen who travels at this particular point in time would be doing?
Old Apr 7th 2020, 1:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Thanks as always. Would that even apply if you were travelling against the advice of the FCO? Which obviously any UK citizen who travels at this particular point in time would be doing?
Advice is against anything but essential travel, personally I'd count it as essential travel if you're at risk of losing your status in another country. But as above, I do think there will be some leeway for those that really can't travel, we'll just have to wait and see what comes up in time, hopefully we'll be enlightened before you need to worry about it. When's your deadline for having to go back or not meet RO?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Apr 7th 2020 at 1:58 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2020, 2:28 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Advice is against anything but essential travel, personally I'd count it as essential travel if you're at risk of losing your status in another country. But as above, I do think there will be some leeway for those that really can't travel, we'll just have to wait and see what comes up in time, hopefully we'll be enlightened before you need to worry about it. When's your deadline for having to go back or not meet RO?
My RO would be May 2021. My PRTD expires in early March.

I guess I never thought about essential travel like that and it's quite a vague term I suppose. I always thought of essential travel along the lines of a family emergency.
Old Apr 7th 2020, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Just picking up on one of your points regarding problems with medical insurance to cover the period on provincial health plans before you are covered. I don't know what province you are thinking about, but in Ontario, OHIP are now waiving the 3 month wait period for new residents.

"Ontario is waiving the three-month waiting period for Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) coverage. We will also cover the cost of COVID-19 services if you are uninsured and do not meet the criteria for OHIP coverage."

See here: https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-oh...card#section-2
Old Apr 10th 2020, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

Hasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Just picking up on one of your points regarding problems with medical insurance to cover the period on provincial health plans before you are covered. I don't know what province you are thinking about, but in Ontario, OHIP are now waiving the 3 month wait period for new residents.

"Ontario is waiving the three-month waiting period for Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) coverage. We will also cover the cost of COVID-19 services if you are uninsured and do not meet the criteria for OHIP coverage."

See here: https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-oh...card#section-2
Hi

if moving to Ontario then the 3 months waiting period to apply for health card is waived and you can apply for health card is straight away and covered as mentioned here.

Last edited by Hasan78; Apr 10th 2020 at 1:42 am. Reason: correction
Old Apr 10th 2020, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

vickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I received my PRTD shortly before this whole virus situation really kicked off in the UK and Canada closed the borders to non-citizens and PR's. Right now I am well within RO however if the whole situation continues until after my PRTD expires in a little under 12 months from now and I do somehow end up finding myself outside of RO then would the current global situation count as reasonably H&C grounds?

The current situation is that the UK is advising its entire citizenry against all international travel combined with the fact that any returning Canadian/PR needs to quarantine themselves for a fortnight or face potential legal repercussions. Since I have no address in Canada, the quarantine requirement would be extraordinarily difficult for me to fulfil and also flights from the UK are currently being cancelled left, right and centre anyway. Additionally I wouldn't be able to secure the adequate kind of medical insurance to cover me before any provincial program kicks in because no new proper medical or travel insurance packages are really being sold in the UK at the moment.

Hopefully the global travel situation will be done and dusted long before my PRTD expires but I'm just trying to cover the bases really. The official CIC web pages regarding RO haven't been updated so far as I can see.

HI I am in the process of filling in the PRTD, and I like you have no address in Canada, How did you fill in that section of the form did you leave it blank.