Work Visa to Visitor

Old Sep 2nd 2013, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

zebrapjs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work Visa to Visitor

Hi Guys

I am currently on a Work Visa which is soon to run out so I am planning on changing my status to visitor by crossing the border for another 3 months then I will return home. I know that there is a few documents thats I have to show to prove that I will be returning back to the UK and one of them is that I have medical insurance or travel insurance.

Can anyone recommend any websites where I can get cheap medical/travel insurance? Should I be buying regular insurance or should I be buying visitors insurance?? I am slightly confused because I am changing my status.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 8:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work Visa to Visitor

Originally Posted by zebrapjs
Hi Guys

I am currently on a Work Visa which is soon to run out so I am planning on changing my status to visitor by crossing the border for another 3 months then I will return home. I know that there is a few documents thats I have to show to prove that I will be returning back to the UK and one of them is that I have medical insurance or travel insurance.

Can anyone recommend any websites where I can get cheap medical/travel insurance? Should I be buying regular insurance or should I be buying visitors insurance?? I am slightly confused because I am changing my status.
Be aware by doing it at the border you could be denied entry or given less time than you request as its the examining officers decision based on a number of things like funds to support yourself, ticket home.
Why not just do the online application via the CIC website and pay the $75 and be on IMPLIED STATUS until a decision is made by CIC.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Be aware by doing it at the border you could be denied entry or given less time than you request as its the examining officers decision based on a number of things like funds to support yourself, ticket home.
Why not just do the online application via the CIC website and pay the $75 and be on IMPLIED STATUS until a decision is made by CIC.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp
I went down to the border to see what the best thing was to do and they gave me a check list and said it was pretty straight forward as long as I have all the documents to show and prove I was going home, so thats what I will do. Plus my work visa runs out on the 7th so its alittle too late to do it online now anyway.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 10:22 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I went down to the border to see what the best thing was to do and they gave me a check list and said it was pretty straight forward as long as I have all the documents to show and prove I was going home, so thats what I will do. Plus my work visa runs out on the 7th so its alittle too late to do it online now anyway.
I don't know if you realise, but Former Lancastrian is a Border Officer and what he outlined as the potential risks are valid.

If you apply online there is plenty of time to submit - you just have to ensure that CIC receive it prior to your current visa running out, which of course they would do.

Whilst it's waiting to be processed, you would be on implied visitor status.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I don't know if you realise, but Former Lancastrian is a Border Officer and what he outlined as the potential risks are valid.

If you apply online there is plenty of time to submit - you just have to ensure that CIC receive it prior to your current visa running out, which of course they would do.

Whilst it's waiting to be processed, you would be on implied visitor status.
Hi

I didnt actually know that Former Lancastian is a border officer, but I appreciate his advice. I have been down to the border and spoke to a Border Officer and they assured me as long as I produced all the documents I would be ok. Ok so if I apply online whats the process? How long do I have to wait until I know? Am I allowed to go into the states whilst my application is being processed as I would like to book a trip to vegas?
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 10:33 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I didnt actually know that Former Lancastian is a border officer, but I appreciate his advice. I have been down to the border and spoke to a Border Officer and they assured me as long as I produced all the documents I would be ok. Ok so if I apply online whats the process? How long do I have to wait until I know? Am I allowed to go into the states whilst my application is being processed as I would like to book a trip to vegas?
You would use the link that FL gave you. Current processing times are 57 days for online applications. You would know when they give you their decision about a week later.

If you leave Canada you would no longer be on implied status and risk refusal of re-entry.

FL wasn't saying you couldn't go to the border, he was just trying to make you aware that you 'could' be refused (depending on who processes you). Some BSO's are more accommodating than others, lol.

Old Sep 2nd 2013, 10:38 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Know what? You'll be on implied status immediately after on line application.

Assuming you have a UK passport you can go to Vegas if you want.

<caveat: no expert here>
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You would use the link that FL gave you. Current processing times are 57 days for online applications. You would know when they give you their decision about a week later.

If you leave Canada you would no longer be on implied status and risk refusal of re-entry.

FL wasn't saying you couldn't go to the border, he was just trying to make you aware that you 'could' be refused (depending on who processes you). Some BSO's are more accommodating than others, lol.

So please can someone clarify, if I fill out the forms and I go on implied status can I leave canada to go to the states and come back into Canada whilst a decision is being made for me to become a visitor.

Secondly..on the form to do this it says

I am applying for one or more of the following: -
- Extension of my temporary resident status
- Initial temporary resident permit or extension of temporary resident permit
- Restoration of temporary resident status as a visitor

which one would I choose if I am changing my status from working holiday visa to visitor.

Thanx for everyones advice
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 11:04 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

So please can someone clarify, if I fill out the forms and I go on implied status can I leave canada to go to the states and come back into Canada whilst a decision is being made for me to become a visitor.

which one would I choose if I am changing my status from working holiday visa to visitor.

You're on a working holiday visa? Then ignore all the above advice. You can't get implied status because a WHV is not extendable. Oops.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 11:08 pm
Banned

You can leave Canada but as previously stated, you will lose your implied status and it will be up to the BSO at the port of entry to decide if he will let you back into Canada as a visitor or not.

I don't get that result when I do the questionnaire - are you filling it out correctly? http://www.cic.gc.ca/ctc-vac/getting-started.asp

(see attachments).
Attached Thumbnails Work Visa to Visitor-capture.jpg   Work Visa to Visitor-1.jpg   Work Visa to Visitor-2.jpg  

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 2nd 2013 at 11:12 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 11:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

If booking a trip to Vegas then dont do the online application because as soon as you leave Canada any implied status is lost even if changing from worker to visitor.
A temporary resident with implied status who has left Canada may:
• be allowed to re-enter Canada as a temporary resident, pending a decision on the renewal of their application to study or work in Canada, provided they are TRV exempt as per R190 or on a multiple-entry visa. They may not resume work or study in Canada until their application for renewal has been granted. For those not able to resume work, they must satisfy the BSO that they have sufficient means of support. (Note that this applies to foreign nationals who are TRV exempt as per R190(3)(f) and to those on multiple-entry visas.)
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

If booking a trip to Vegas then dont do the online application because as soon as you leave Canada any implied status is lost even if changing from worker to visitor.
A temporary resident with implied status who has left Canada may:
• be allowed to re-enter Canada as a temporary resident, pending a decision on the renewal of their application to study or work in Canada, provided they are TRV exempt as per R190 or on a multiple-entry visa. They may not resume work or study in Canada until their application for renewal has been granted. For those not able to resume work, they must satisfy the BSO that they have sufficient means of support. (Note that this applies to foreign nationals who are TRV exempt as per R190(3)(f) and to those on multiple-entry visas.)
Just to confirm I am on a temporary working holiday visa, I am not renewing my visa I simply want to be a visitor for a few months thats it.

So when you say: "A temporary resident with implied status who has left Canada may:
• be allowed to re-enter Canada as a temporary resident (does temporary resident also mean visitor)

I am not intending to work once I change my status. I have my ticket home booked, I have insurance, proof of funds, a letter form my employer stating when my contract started and when it will end. I also have a letter from the UK stating that I have a job waiting for me at home as Iam currently on a career break. I also have a letter from my landlord who I live with to confirm I will be living with her for the next 3 months and I will not be working.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 11:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just to confirm I am on a temporary working holiday visa, I am not renewing my visa I simply want to be a visitor for a few months thats it.

So when you say: "A temporary resident with implied status who has left Canada may:
• be allowed to re-enter Canada as a temporary resident (does temporary resident also mean visitor)

I am not intending to work once I change my status. I have my ticket home booked, I have insurance, proof of funds, a letter form my employer stating when my contract started and when it will end. I also have a letter from the UK stating that I have a job waiting for me at home as Iam currently on a career break. I also have a letter from my landlord who I live with to confirm I will be living with her for the next 3 months and I will not be working.
A temporary resident includes visitor, worker or student. In your situation your permit expires in a few days so you need to have legal status after it expires.
Regardless of if you apply online or go down to the border you will be leaving Canada again for Vegas so Implied status would be lost if no decision made and had applied online or if you went to the border and was readmitted for 6 months standard entry time you would be leaving canada for Vegas so this would be treated as a new entry.
Yes it can be confusing but basically every time you leave Canada and re-enter its treated as a new entry even if on a work/study permit or admitted as a visitor just a few days ago.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

A temporary resident includes visitor, worker or student. In your situation your permit expires in a few days so you need to have legal status after it expires.
Regardless of if you apply online or go down to the border you will be leaving Canada again for Vegas so Implied status would be lost if no decision made and had applied online or if you went to the border and was readmitted for 6 months standard entry time you would be leaving canada for Vegas so this would be treated as a new entry.
Yes it can be confusing but basically every time you leave Canada and re-enter its treated as a new entry even if on a work/study permit or admitted as a visitor just a few days ago.
Thanx you for your help and everyone else.