Work permit for spouse

Old Mar 24th 2005, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

Jib Jib is a jewel in the roughJib Jib is a jewel in the roughJib Jib is a jewel in the roughJib Jib is a jewel in the roughJib Jib is a jewel in the rough
Default Work permit for spouse

Hi

Recently my husband got a job offer in Edmonton, Canada. The rate was not excellent but I was told that I could not go with him to work, only can stay as a visitor. Anyone knows if this is the case? Can I then apply for PR later on or not?

Any advice is appreciated

Regards

Peddie
Old Mar 24th 2005, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

reddy_cd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Work permit for spouse

Hi,

I think you can work , but the thing is that you have to arrive first and then apply for an open work permit through Vegreville CPC. It might take 1-2 months time to get the visa in your hands. Once you get the open work permit, then you will be eligible to work for any employer as long as your spouse's visa is vaild.

Experts, please correct me if i am wrong.

Reddy

Originally Posted by Jib Jib
Hi

Recently my husband got a job offer in Edmonton, Canada. The rate was not excellent but I was told that I could not go with him to work, only can stay as a visitor. Anyone knows if this is the case? Can I then apply for PR later on or not?

Regards

Peddie

Last edited by reddy_cd; Mar 24th 2005 at 3:29 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2005, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

Mike1967 has a brilliant futureMike1967 has a brilliant futureMike1967 has a brilliant futureMike1967 has a brilliant futureMike1967 has a brilliant futureMike1967 has a brilliant futureMike1967 has a brilliant future

I spoke to someone at Vegreville about the same issue a couple of months ago...................and I was told it is dependant on the type of visa and the job your spouse is doing.

Probably best to give them a call with your specific situation.

Mike

Originally Posted by Jib Jib
Hi

Regards

Peddie
Old Mar 24th 2005, 5:28 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Mike1967
I spoke to someone at Vegreville about the same issue a couple of months ago...................and I was told it is dependant on the type of visa and the job your spouse is doing.

Probably best to give them a call with your specific situation.

Mike
Here is a quote from the FW manual:

5.39. Public policy, competitiveness and economy R205(c)(ii)
The following programs are designated as work that can be performed by a foreign national
based on the criteria listed in R205(c)(ii).
A. Spouses or common-law partners of skilled workers, CEC C41
Spouses or common-law partners of skilled people coming to Canada as temporary foreign
workers may themselves be authorized to work without first having a confirmed job offer. Eligibility
requirements of the principal foreign worker which allow the spouse to qualify for a work permit
are as follows:
• The principal foreign worker must be doing work which is at a level that falls within National
Occupational Classification (NOC) Skill Levels 0 , A or B. See the NOC site on HRSDC’s web
page at http://www23.hrsdc-rhdcc.gc.ca/2001/.../welcome.shtml.
• These skill levels include management and professional occupations and technical or skilled
tradespersons.
FW 1 Foreign Worker Manual
2004-11-12 36
• The principal foreign worker must either hold a work permit that is valid for a period of at least
six month’s duration, or, if working under the authority of R186 without a work permit, must
present evidence that they will be working for a minimum of six months.;

or if you are a real bear for punishment, you can read the manual:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/manuals-guides/english/fw/fwe.pdf

PMM