Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Work Permit at Port of Entry for British citzen with BC PNP support letter

Work Permit at Port of Entry for British citzen with BC PNP support letter

Old May 13th 2014, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

SeanInVan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work Permit at Port of Entry for British citzen with BC PNP support letter

I am currently in Canada as part of the IEC with a visa expiring on the 4th of August. I have submitted my PNP application and received my AOR on the 25th of March 2014. This gives me a estimated time for my application to be returned of between 2nd July and 16th July. This leaves me just 19 days which is not long enough to submit a work permit by post (according to the CIC processing times - currently 2 months).

I was hoping to take the work permit support letter from the BC PNP and the paper work for a work permit (CIC forms , photos and cash) fly down to Seattle (or elsewhere outside of Canada) before flying back and applying for a work permit at my port of entry (YVR Airport). I think from what I have read and people I have talked with this is possible. I was wondering if anyone has has experienced this first hand and can offer any advice.

The second question is if this i not possible does my employer have to terminate my employment when my visa expires or is it sufficient for them to stop paying me while I apply for the work permit by post? I had assumed they will have to fire me and make me a new job offer so as I am not working without the right to.
Old May 13th 2014, 7:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work Permit at Port of Entry for British citzen with BC PNP support letter

Yes you can do that but why fly when you can drive and cross over then turn back around or spend the day looking around Bellingham which is probably cheaper.
Will you still be working for the same employer on the BC PNP?
Old May 13th 2014, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

SeanInVan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Work Permit at Port of Entry for British citzen with BC PNP support letter

Thanks for your reply. I will still be working for the same employer. I was going to fly as I dont own a car. I have my UK license but not my IDP. I did not think the bus services would wait for me to be processed if I was a special case.
Old May 13th 2014, 8:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

IMHO just before the current IEC work permit expires just fly out and then get a new work permit based on the BC PNP support letter. There again could be laid off on Friday IEC work permit and rehired on a Monday new work permit BC PNP support letter.
Old May 13th 2014, 10:56 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
IMHO just before the current IEC work permit expires just fly out and then get a new work permit based on the BC PNP support letter. There again could be laid off on Friday IEC work permit and rehired on a Monday new work permit BC PNP support letter.
Not sure that bit would work FL, BC Provincial Nomination requires you to be still working for the same employer, if you 'lose' the job then you would have to notify them and potentially have your nomination revoked!

@the OP, as FL suggested, a quick trip to the US and return with your Nomination and support letter, passport, cash and you will have your new TWP and be ready to start work again.

You could always take a leave of absence (unpaid) if your IEC runs out prior to obtaining your new TWP, but do remember to apply for a change to visitor status if you haven't got your new TWP by the time your IEC expires (+/- 12 hours).