Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Work permit - apply inside or outside Canada?

Work permit - apply inside or outside Canada?

Old Jan 2nd 2022, 2:18 am
Just Joined

Emmalouise88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work permit - apply inside or outside Canada?

My partner is has secured a medical fellowship at sick kids in Toronto for 1 year. I am hoping to go with him on a spouse visa.
my question is should I apply for a work permit before I go, or wait and apply once I’m in Canada? My concern is that it will take months to get one if I wait until I’m in Canada to apply, and will be arranging to come back before I’ve got it! Or is it much easier to get one from
inside Canada rather than start the process now from the UK?

any help on this much appreciated, as I just don’t know where to start!

thank you
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 9:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work permit - apply inside or outside Canada?

Just checking, but you’re married now? IIRC you couldn’t get a spousal permit previously as you weren’t married or living together so just checking!

If so, and if his job is one that allows you to get a spousal open work permit (not all do, so it will depend on his visa/job) then you can just get your work permit when you arrive at the airport.

You’ll need a few docs (including a copy of his work permit and and your marriage cert). https://britishexpats.com/wiki/TWP_:...o_apply-Canada

HTH.
Old Jan 3rd 2022, 12:54 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work permit - apply inside or outside Canada?

Originally Posted by Emmalouise88
My partner is has secured a medical fellowship at sick kids in Toronto for 1 year. I am hoping to go with him on a spouse visa.
my question is should I apply for a work permit before I go, or wait and apply once I’m in Canada? My concern is that it will take months to get one if I wait until I’m in Canada to apply, and will be arranging to come back before I’ve got it! Or is it much easier to get one from
inside Canada rather than start the process now from the UK?

any help on this much appreciated, as I just don’t know where to start!

thank you
Unless you have been living together 'as if married' (with documentary proof) for a minimum of 12 months uninterrupted (without break), or are married - you won't be considered a 'spouse' without one or the other.- you won't be able to get a work permit or a visitors permit on the back of your 'partners' - .. also see the responses to your other thread: 1 year fellowship posting - is it worth trying to get on register?

You could potentially enter as a visitor, but you would have to prove that you have significant ties to the UK, i.e. qualify as a 'genuine visitor'.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 3rd 2022 at 12:57 am.