Work permit

Old Sep 9th 2012, 11:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work permit

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
So why not ask the OP for clarification rather than stating quite categorically that he'll have to get a LMO etc? English may not be his first language.
Im sorry but is this a go at me? These are your words correct.

Only the OP will know if he's eligible for a post grad work permit but I was confused as to why hadn't even been mentioned as an option for the OP to look into!

If he knows he is eligible for a PGWP as you suggest then why ask the question? Even if he is not sure am I or others expected to ask any poster to clarify a request for info in their post before an answer is given.
This type of post is posted by English 1st language and non English posters on a regular basis. It was discussed in a previous post about the way certain posts are worded and in the way members answer these posts as either helpful or not helpful.
We all get confused as to the way some requests for advice are asked for and in the vast majority of cases the correct info is given even if it takes a few posts to get to the heart of the matter.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to beholdTony_Tiger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Why can't he just get a post graduate work permit?
Aman, here is a link to what the Christmasoompa has mentioned. Hope this helps.

http://www.albertacanada.com/immigra...-students.aspx

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad.asp
Old Sep 9th 2012, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

Amansinghrai is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tony_Tiger
Aman, here is a link to what the Christmasoompa has mentioned. Hope this helps.

http://www.albertacanada.com/immigra...-students.aspx

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad.asp
Thanks for help but problem is that my college is not under the list .
so LMO is only option for me or i can try for post-grad work permit.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

firstchoice is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Amansinghrai,

It seems to me that what you are saying is that your current course does not allow you to obtain a post-graduate work permit. Given that VDI is a private college, the only wayto obtain a post-graduate work permit there is if you can complete a degree there, whcih does not seems feasible.

So one alternative seems to be to obtain a work permit via an LMO as suggested. Alternatively, since you are allowed to change educational institutions and have until April, 2014 to study, you could (assuming you have the funds) continue your studies at a publicly-funded educational institution. On graduating from that course, you would, assuming you have never held a postgraduate work permit in Canada before, be able to obtain one - but only for 1 year. That might however enable you to work for an employer and then got through the AINP.

Sorry it is not simpler, but that is all I can think of for you to do.
Old Sep 9th 2012, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

Amansinghrai is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by firstchoice
Hello Amansinghrai,

It seems to me that what you are saying is that your current course does not allow you to obtain a post-graduate work permit. Given that VDI is a private college, the only wayto obtain a post-graduate work permit there is if you can complete a degree there, whcih does not seems feasible.

So one alternative seems to be to obtain a work permit via an LMO as suggested. Alternatively, since you are allowed to change educational institutions and have until April, 2014 to study, you could (assuming you have the funds) continue your studies at a publicly-funded educational institution. On graduating from that course, you would, assuming you have never held a postgraduate work permit in Canada before, be able to obtain one - but only for 1 year. That might however enable you to work for an employer and then got through the AINP.
Sorry it is not simpler, but that is all I can think of for you to do.

you are saying "only wayto obtain a post-graduate work permit there is if you can complete a degree there" i am completing my degree and i will be done by january 2013.so what you say about this .
thanks
Old Sep 10th 2012, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

firstchoice is an unknown quantity at this point

Well now ... if you are studying at a post-secondary institution authorized by the Province to confer degrees, and the program you are enrolled in there is a degree program, the CIC web-site which was referred to previously by Former Lancastrian indicates that you are eligible for a postgraduate work permit on graduating.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 2:43 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by firstchoice
Well now ... if you are studying at a post-secondary institution authorized by the Province to confer degrees, and the program you are enrolled in there is a degree program, the CIC web-site which was referred to previously by Former Lancastrian indicates that you are eligible for a postgraduate work permit on graduating.
The OP is/was studying at CDI. Students at that school are not eligible for Off campus work permits, nor are they eligible for Post Graduate Work Permit. It is not

Eligible privately funded post-secondary institutions:

are located in a province or territory that has signed a memorandum of understanding with CIC
have signed an off-campus work agreement with their provincial or territorial government and
have approval from their provincial or territorial government to grant specific degrees.