Where to start

Old Sep 12th 2008, 9:49 am
Just Joined

husky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to start

My husband and I want to move to Canada but not sure where to start the process.. can anyone offer help and advice please. thank you
Old Sep 12th 2008, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Deeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to all
Default Re: Where to start

Hi Husky,

Welcome to BE.
I am relatively new on here too but there are lots of wise folk here to answer your questions.
Start by reading the Wiki articles at the top of the page.
What do you do and where do you hope to go?
By the way I'm in Peterborough too, where in the city do you live?
Regards
Old Sep 12th 2008, 10:16 am
Just Joined

Hi Deeny

Thank you I will do lots of reading, I live in Orton Wistow, I work in sales and marketing i am also a dj/entertainer, my husband has been in the police force years ago but is a singer/dancer now, although he has thought about applying for the police in Canada. Where abouts do you live?
Old Sep 12th 2008, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Deeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to allDeeny is a name known to all

Hi
We are just down the road in Hampton.
Have you been to Canada before or just like the sound of it?
That's an interesting career move, Police Officer to Dancer!
As I understand it, even when not actively recruiting, the Calgary Police will take C.V's from experienced officers. Not been to Calgary but friends loved it.
My husband wants to take early retirement ,after 20 odd years he has had enough.
Good luck with the research.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 11:32 am
Just Joined

Hi

What part of Canada are you wishing to move to? We were thinking of Alberta areas but not set it stone yet, I haven't been planning to go in January to visit but have always loved the thought of living there, my cousin lived there for a while with her Canadian husband she now lives back in the UK. Have you been? how far have you got with your application?

Regards Heather
Old Sep 12th 2008, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Heather
We went to Toronto and Ottawa in the summer, we loved them both. At the moment doing lots of research into Kingston which is between the two.
We hope to go back on another reccie next year.
We haven't applied yet, still working out best route to take.
We plan to go to the London Expo in Nov, hope it may be a bit clearer then.
How about you, are you waiting until after your trip to apply?
Old Sep 12th 2008, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

Hi

I am thinking of applying soon as I have heard its a long process especially with the waiting game, When is the London Expo I may have to take a look at that and see whats the crack from there. Do you know anyone in Canada? would you work whilst your there?
Old Sep 12th 2008, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

DSILK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by husky
Hi

I am thinking of applying soon as I have heard its a long process especially with the waiting game, When is the London Expo I may have to take a look at that and see whats the crack from there. Do you know anyone in Canada? would you work whilst your there?
You could start by doing the online skills assessment on the immigration website, if you score high enough to put in an application, it was a long and expensive process for us my advice would be to get the ball rolling as soon as possible, I now wish we had started it all sooner, if you or your husband can get a job offer then that would speed things up but you really need to be out here and meeting people, handing out resumes etc.
Every resume should have a covering letter that you give info on what sort of job you are after and what your expectations are along with some personal history, it is kind of like a personal profile.
It took 3 years to process our application to the point where we could actually come out here, I came to Peterborough earlier than my family to find work and a place for us to live, luckily I have relatives out here that I could stay with.
If you get the criminal record check done early on chances are you will be asked to provide another one later during the process, we didn't use an agent but did the paperwork ourselves which worked out fine.
Most of the Expo stuff covers engineering and skilled labour as this is what they are short of over here.
Dean
Old Sep 12th 2008, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi

Hello again
I'm sorry I don't know how to link to a website, I shall have to get the kid's to show me! If you google Expo08 and follow the link. I think it is in Olympia and there's also a Leed's one.
There were some poor reviews of the last one on here but we are hoping to get some more info/advise on the best way forward for us.
We don't have relatives or close friends there and yes, we will have to find work.
Following on from DSILK's advise, I think without a job offer and skills that are in demand there is a 3-5 year wait and a chance that your application might not even get processed.
Do you know if your jobs are in demand anywhere?
Old Sep 12th 2008, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

Thank you to DSilks and Deeny you are both very helpful, I will google Expo and look into our jobs in more detail I have heard the police are in need but haven;t got a definate answer yet. I will keep you posted. If a job is available and either my husband or I get one how long will the process take then on average?
Old Sep 12th 2008, 3:35 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard the police are in need but haven;t got a definate answer yet.
See the Wiki article called Police-Canada. There also is a Police forum here at BE.

If a job is available and either my husband or I get one how long will the process take then on average?
Don't know if you're asking a general question or asking about getting into the Calgary Police Service (CPS) or Edmonton Police Service (EPS). They say it's taking over a year to get into CPS or EPS.

To get a general idea of how long it takes to gain entry to Canada, see the Wiki article called Immigration Timeline-Canada. However, that article is a general one, and is not addressed specifically to police officers.
Old Sep 12th 2008, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

Judy Thank you for this it helps alot he definately wants to join the police he doesnt mind which one either, I will get in touch and see what they say.