Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

What kind of Timeline am I looking at?

What kind of Timeline am I looking at?

Old Mar 16th 2005, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

Jana is on a distinguished road
Red face What kind of Timeline am I looking at?

Hi,

I am a US citizen, my husband is a Canadian citizen and we live in the US. I submitted my paperwork for immigration to Canada yesterday via Family class: Spouse. Can anyone give me an idea of what kind of time line I am looking at? 6 months, 1 year, infinity?

Also, I felt like a pro on the US side of things getting him here, now I feel like a newbie again. I have seen several acronyms used on this board that I don't understand. Can someone define the following: PP, CSQ, CAIPS, AOR and any others that would be helpful.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Mar 16th 2005, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

blairwitch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What kind of Timeline am I looking at?

Hi
Can't believe you went thru US immigration, and are now going to deal with Canadian, you must be a glutton for punishment!
Ok, so you are both in the US, your application will have gone to Mississauga for approval for your husband to sponsor you, this will be approved or rejected with in about a month.
Then your application goes to Buffalo for the approval of your application for PR. Buffalo is a slow visa post, you can check averages here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...uses.html#west
So you are looking at quite a few months of waiting......
Now acronyms:
PP - passport
CSQ - Something to do with Quebec, you only need it if you are planning on heading there.
CAIPS - Not sure what it stands for, but it is a computer print out of your file, that you can request to see whats happening, not really something you need to deal with is a spouse case.
AOR - Acknowledgement of receipt. They sometimes send this out when they receive your file, varies from visa post to visa post...... not sure if Buffalo do.

Hope this helps - bw
Old Mar 17th 2005, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

jorja is an unknown quantity at this point

CSQ = Certificat de Selection du Quebec
Old Mar 17th 2005, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

kki6 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jorja
CSQ = Certificat de Selection du Quebec
As long as all the relevant documents have been attached to your application, then you are probably looking at 3 - 6 months. A lot depends on Buffalo Visa Office.

You will find you learn a lot by just visiting this site and getting involved in the threads.

Good luck with the application. By the way, where are you looking to settle in Canada. I'm off to Montreal for my landing at the end of April and moving finally at the beginning of August!
Old Mar 19th 2005, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

Jana is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by blairwitch
Hi
Can't believe you went thru US immigration, and are now going to deal with Canadian, you must be a glutton for punishment!
Ok, so you are both in the US, your application will have gone to Mississauga for approval for your husband to sponsor you, this will be approved or rejected with in about a month.
Then your application goes to Buffalo for the approval of your application for PR. Buffalo is a slow visa post, you can check averages here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...uses.html#west
So you are looking at quite a few months of waiting......
Now acronyms:
PP - passport
CSQ - Something to do with Quebec, you only need it if you are planning on heading there.
CAIPS - Not sure what it stands for, but it is a computer print out of your file, that you can request to see whats happening, not really something you need to deal with is a spouse case.
AOR - Acknowledgement of receipt. They sometimes send this out when they receive your file, varies from visa post to visa post...... not sure if Buffalo do.

Hope this helps - bw
Yes, we are a bit insane. When we started talking about getting married we wanted to live in the states for a couple years because I had a job and Marc (my husband) had just finished up college. I also had some debt I wanted to take care of before we headed up North. Here we are two years later! We have been looking forward to this for a while. I just hope I prepared all my forms right and we don't have any hiccups.

To the other person who asked where we plan on living. We plan on living in Ottawa to start. We eventually want to move to Montreal though, maybe 2 or 3 years from now or after I get citizenship. My husband has lived both places (Ottawa most of his life and Montreal for about a year). I prefer Montreal which is odd because I speak VERY VERY VERY little french. Its just something about that town!

One thing I hope people can ease my mind on is this: We kinda just provided a page telling that we plan on moving and how we are going to find jobs before we move, etc. and that we have savings to live on for a while when we get there. Is that going to be "sufficient proof" that we are serious about moving. I can't really get a lease on an apartment when I don't know how long this whole thing will take.

Another thing is that from what I could tell we didn't have to prove financial stability for my husband to sponsor me. Is this correct? I saw no where that it asked for financial papers for just sponsoring a spouse.

Anyway, I guess I have the next year to think about all this stuff.

Jana