Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

What form of immigrant am I? I can't find any info

What form of immigrant am I? I can't find any info

Old Sep 15th 2017, 8:21 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What form of immigrant am I? I can't find any info

Originally Posted by pathfinder_05
Just had a read through the site and they sure don't make things easy do they?

And it is saying to expect it done in 8-9 months. That is quite a wait to see if you're going to get in.
Ha ha really, that's a wait ? It's not an if it's a when, as long as mum was born Canada then you are Canadian, think of it as 9 months to pack and sort out stuff and arrange a good by party.

Did You see my link for the forms ?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof-how.asp

Basically it's there on a silver plate for you, anyone on here would swop places w you in a heartbeat

Last edited by magnumpi; Sep 15th 2017 at 8:23 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2017, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

pathfinder_05 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Ha ha really, that's a wait ? It's not an if it's a when, as long as mum was born Canada then you are Canadian, think of it as 9 months to pack and sort out stuff and arrange a good by party.

Did You see my link for the forms ?

Apply for proof of citizenship
Yes, saw the link.

Thanks very much for the input. I was ready to hit rock bottom again but now I have something to look forward to.
Old Sep 15th 2017, 8:27 pm

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pathfinder_05
Yes, saw the link.

Thanks very much for the input. I was ready to hit rock bottom again but now I have something to look forward to.
For sure you do, you have the golden egg of immigration other than being a refugee Enjoy !!
Old Sep 15th 2017, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Magnumpi: I just scanned the thread quickly and didn't read each post carefully: I agree with you if mum was born in Canada, extremely likely (never like to say 100% just in case) Pathfinder is a Canadian Citizen.

If you think 8-9 months is a long time, rest assured it's far quicker than most Canadian immigration programs and really if you are a Citizen already, you've drawn the jackpot!! And all for CA$75!

Good luck!

PS: I just saw what Magnumpi wrote: I swear I didn't copy! We are on the same page!

Last edited by Snowy560; Sep 15th 2017 at 8:33 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2017, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the help anyway Snowy.
Old Sep 16th 2017, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

For sure you do, you have the golden egg of immigration other than being a refugee Enjoy !!
Hey man. After talking to my mum it appears that she was born in the UK then went to Canada with her folks as a child, but she has citizenship.

I think this now changes everything. I found this in the documentation....
Amendments to the Citizenship Act limit citizenship by descent

On April 17, 2009, the rules for Canadian citizenship changed for persons born outside Canada to Canadian parents and who were not already Canadian citizens when the rules changed.

These rules did not take Canadian citizenship away from any person who was a Canadian citizen immediately before the rules came into effect.

Canadian citizenship by birth outside Canada to a Canadian citizen parent (citizenship by descent) is now limited to the first generation born outside Canada.

This means that, in general, persons who were not already Canadian citizens immediately before April 17, 2009 and who were born outside Canada to a Canadian parent are not Canadian if:

their Canadian parent was also born outside Canada to a Canadian parent (the person is therefore the second or subsequent generation born outside Canada)
Old Sep 16th 2017, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

If your mother is a naturalized Canadian citizen (i.e. she was born outside Canada but emigrated there, then she received a grant of citizenship and became a Canadian Citizen) and she was a Canadian Citizen when you were born it is as if you are "first generation born outside Canada" and therefore a Canadian Citizen.

Anyway the "first gen only" did not come into effect until 17 April 2009 (but I do not think this applies to you: the Q is: was your mother naturalized as a Canadian citizen before you were born?).

You should apply for proof of citizenship. It's the only way to know.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizen...ules/index.asp

You likely are a Canadian citizen if you…

were born in Canada
became a citizen because of changes to the Citizenship Act
applied for and received your Canadian citizenship (became a naturalized citizen)
received Canadian citizenship as a minor when a parent or legal guardian naturalized you by applying for your citizenship
were born outside Canada and at least one of your parents was:
born in Canada
naturalized in Canada before your birth

and:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcen...qnum=365&top=5

Last edited by Snowy560; Sep 16th 2017 at 10:56 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2017, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

surely it all depends on whether the OP's mother actually did become a citizen of Canada ........ there've been too many cases recently of women who came over as War Brides, with their children born in England but who turn out not to have citizenship.

Just living here, even if for 40 or 50 years, didn't automatically confer citizenship even back then ............... we had to apply for citizenship almost 45 years ago, and swear allegiance to the Queen.

Last edited by scilly; Sep 17th 2017 at 3:07 am.
Old Sep 17th 2017, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes as I said in post #22 (and reproduced from the link) if the OP's mum is a naturalized Canadian citizen and was naturalized before the OP's birth then he is very likely a Canadian Citizen and should apply for proof.
Old Sep 17th 2017, 12:29 pm

Yes a little more complicated I guess, but only in the sense that you need your mums Canadian citizenship card or proof that she was a citizen prior to your birth.

However, this is the issue we have with my older son who lives in the U.K., my wife's citizenship shows she was a Canadian since birth on her Canadian Citizenship cirt but my boy can't get citizenship because he is second generation

The post above explains it clearer, if she really was Canadian before your birth, and you have proof dating back to before the changes in 2009 and before your birth, just get the proof and you are back on track

Last edited by magnumpi; Sep 17th 2017 at 12:53 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2017, 1:56 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again for chipping in again guys.

My Mother does for sure have a Citizenship Certificate and she was a citizen a long time before I was born.

It was the change in 2009 that confused me. I don't understand the generations they mention.

How do I find out for sure before waiting 9 months to find out? I can't find any contact details.
Old Sep 17th 2017, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

The only way to find out for sure is to apply for proof. Every situation is different.

My understanding is that Magnumpi's mum is a citizen by descent. Because your mum was naturalized in Canada before you were born that's what I think you'll be too. Your mum didn't inherit Citizenship through her own parents: she was granted it by the Canadian government.

The 2009 thing doesn't affect you.

Last edited by Snowy560; Sep 17th 2017 at 2:37 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2017, 2:41 pm

Considering your other options are let's say, a little less optimistic I would start the process ASAP as 9 months will fly by for sure
Old Sep 17th 2017, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Considering your other options are let's say, a little less optimistic I would start the process ASAP as 9 months will fly by for sure
+1
And you're not eligible to be processed as an immigrant if you're a Canadian Citizen so that will have to be resolved first. The only way to resolve it is to apply for proof.
Old Sep 17th 2017, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

Ok, I hear you both.

Time to get cracking then.

Thanks very much

Then I will have to head over to the other forum to chat about places to live. But that raises another issue. How do you plan for a new life in Canada but you don't know if you'll get in? Having said that, I am determined to get in, so some planning will be essential.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.