Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

What form of immigrant am I? I can't find any info

What form of immigrant am I? I can't find any info

Old Sep 15th 2017, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

pathfinder_05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What form of immigrant am I? I can't find any info

Hi guys.

I'm looking on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada | Immigration, Réfugiés et Citoyenneté Canada website for information on living in Canada.

So far I have gathered that I would like a PR visa. But when I go to check my eligibility or cost I don't know what I am.

I am 45, travelling alone, living on an Army pension so I have no need to work. I can't find any option on the website for retiring or living in Canada. On the eligibility checker all the options were to do with investing or working in Canada.

Any ideas where to begin?

Thanks.

Edit: Any other sources of information would be good because the Canadian gov website is pants.

Last edited by pathfinder_05; Sep 15th 2017 at 5:50 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2017, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What form of immigrant am I? I can't find any info

PR isn't a visa, it's permanent resident status, basically being Canadian without a passport. If you want that, you'll need to find a way to qualify for it - such as through a partner sponsoring you, or having enough points to move under a federal economic stream.

You sound like you want to just 'up and move to Canada'? Which isn't an option.
Old Sep 15th 2017, 7:04 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pathfinder_05
...I can't find any option on the website for retiring or living in Canada...
The option no longer exists.
Old Sep 15th 2017, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

Oh great! My hopes dashed before I even begin.

My Mother is Canadian but has live in the UK for the past 40 years. I don't suppose that helps?
Old Sep 15th 2017, 7:29 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Someone else can advise you on that part.

Spain didn't work out?
Old Sep 15th 2017, 7:35 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Oh great! My hopes dashed before I even begin.

My Mother is Canadian but has live in the UK for the past 40 years. I don't suppose that helps?
It's easier for you actually

If your mum is a born Canadian then you can apply for proof of Canadian citizenship by decent, basically you are Canadian you just need the proof.

Changes to citizenship rules

were born outside Canada in the first generation to a Canadian parent on or after January 1, 1947, and you lost or never had citizenship due to former citizenship provisions

Last edited by magnumpi; Sep 15th 2017 at 7:37 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2017, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

No, unfortunately, another one of my dreams shattered. But it is still an option due to closeness, weather, and general ease of the whole procedure.

While I'm still young, and my dog is also healthy, I would like to go further afield, then maybe look again at Spain some time in the future.

I have a cousin on PEI, but he isn't suitable for sponsoring I think.
Old Sep 15th 2017, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by magnumpi
It's easier for you actually

If your mum is a born Canadian then you can apply for proof of Canadian citizenship by decent, basically you are Canadian you just need the proof.

Changes to citizenship rules
OK, I see the link, I'll have a read.

So you think my mother could be the key?
Old Sep 15th 2017, 7:41 pm

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I see the link, I'll have a read.

So you think my mother could be the key?
No I don't think, I know, we did this for my wife as her mum was born in Toronto and my wife was born in Leeds.

Fill the forms out, get the copies needed notarised get your proof of citizenship certificate and boom book a flight over :@)

Her proof of citizenship says she became a Canadian in 1962 Lol

Last edited by magnumpi; Sep 15th 2017 at 7:46 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2017, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

No I don't think, I know, we did this for my wife as her mum was born in Toronto and my wife was born in Leeds.

Fill the forms out, get the copies needed notarised and boom book a flight over :@)

Her proof of citizenship says she became a Canadian in 1962 Lol
Thanks for that info. I thought I was screwed.

I'm reading through the website now. I wish the website made more sense to me.
Old Sep 15th 2017, 7:50 pm

Thanks for that info. I thought I was screwed.

I'm reading through the website now. I wish the website made more sense to me.
Agreed it's as clear as mud, but you DO have a claim for citizenship just go look at ya mums birth certificate

When we did it my wife's mum had already died, and it all went through no probs
Old Sep 15th 2017, 7:59 pm

Forms are here to get you started:

Apply for proof of citizenship
Old Sep 15th 2017, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

How did your mother become a citizen? Through birth, descent or naturalization?
Was she a citizen when you were born?

only way to be sure for you is (as others have said) apply for Proof. NOT a grant but proof.
Old Sep 15th 2017, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Snowy560
How did your mother become a citizen? Through birth, descent or naturalization?
Was she a citizen when you were born?

only way to be sure for you is (as others have said) apply for Proof. NOT a grant but proof.
I believe from what's being said is she was born in Canada and moved to U.K. 40 years ago. That would make the OP a citizen who just needs proof.

Like you and I have said he is not applying for citizenship he is applying for proof that he is already a citizen of Canada via descent
Old Sep 15th 2017, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

Agreed it's as clear as mud, but you DO have a claim for citizenship just go look at ya mums birth certificate

When we did it my wife's mum had already died, and it all went through no probs
Just had a read through the site and they sure don't make things easy do they?

And it is saying to expect it done in 8-9 months. That is quite a wait to see if you're going to get in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.