Are we too old?

Old Oct 21st 2020, 9:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are we too old?

Originally Posted by PhilippaKatex
Thank you, yes it seems that there are some rouges out there. Looking at 461 points hopefully! Will know more once all the results come back.
There are, but there are also some excellent consultants, unfortunately it tends to be the dodgy ones most hear about. Shame you didn't find BE before you paid a consultant though, we could have saved you some pennies.

Good luck with IELTS, hope you get max scores. There are some good recommendations for revision sites if you search the forum.
Old Oct 21st 2020, 9:50 am
Just Joined

Harters is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PhilippaKatex
Hi Harters, I am new to the whole immigration process, but I think if you are a bit confused like I was a couple of weeks ago, I can recommend that you speak to <snipped>). It was well worth the money. I did the CRS score calculator and got a low score and thought there was no hope, but after speaking to Deanne in great detail, she assured me my score would be a lot better and also explored all the various ways other than Express Entry. Good Luck and I hope you get there.

All the best,
Philippa
Thank you very much...i will probably give her a call in the coming days...

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 21st 2020 at 2:58 pm. Reason: Personal Information of 3rd party.
Old Oct 21st 2020, 10:00 am
Just Joined

Harters is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You're very welcome. HTH stands for 'Hope That Helps' by the way. .
Lol...I'm showing my age here...Sorry for that... hope TLAs aren't included in the real language test...or maybe they are just to root out the olds

So my job code (NOC) is

2171 – Information systems analysts and consultants

I would easily get a job as an SAP Security Architect as my 20 years experience in this field means I am well known in the industry (in Europe at least) and constantly get job offers within Europe so maybe that might be a better route.
I think as you said I need to get the ball rolling and try to find one of the routes in. I did just check the NZ entry process... it's similar and I scored 125 with the minimum of 100 needed so that's good but absolutely prefer Canada for loads of reasons I won't bore you with.

I'll stop posting now and let you do something more important but again thank you very much and I will let you know how we get on over the coming months.
Old Oct 21st 2020, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harters
Lol...I'm showing my age here...Sorry for that... hope TLAs aren't included in the real language test...or maybe they are just to root out the olds

So my job code (NOC) is

I would easily get a job as an SAP Security Architect as my 20 years experience in this field means I am well known in the industry (in Europe at least) and constantly get job offers within Europe so maybe that might be a better route.
I think as you said I need to get the ball rolling and try to find one of the routes in. I did just check the NZ entry process... it's similar and I scored 125 with the minimum of 100 needed so that's good but absolutely prefer Canada for loads of reasons I won't bore you with.

I'll stop posting now and let you do something more important but again thank you very much and I will let you know how we get on over the coming months.
Good Luck whatever you decide and have many friends who still work for SAP (great company). As christmasoompa mentioned, maybe you could look at other options in Europe and I would seriously consider if the jump from Canada to NZ is worth it. What do you really want, because even in Europe you can ski in the afternoon and sit on the beach before sunset and plenty of places offer remote living at a fraction of the cost. You still have options close by (especially for elderly parents). Tim Hortons coffee and Starbucks is also everywhere these days:-).
Old Oct 21st 2020, 10:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

You're not showing your age at all (says she, almost the same age!). It's just a forum abbreviation.

OK, that may give you other options. It's an eligible occupation for the BC PNP Tech Pilot scheme - https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-t...PNP-Tech-Pilot

Pretty sure there are also other PNP's where it's an in demand occupation, but I'd need to go check them later.

If we go to Europe schooling will not be in English unless we find an international school. I do speak French to a small degree and love trying to converse when in Paris / or on hols in France which we do most years so having my kids grow up in Canada with great schooling is appealing.... i current send them to private school because UK education is poor in general...
There are French immersion programs in the UK too (my children go to a school with a language immersion program….and it's not a private school!). Personally I'm not convinced Canadian education is that great, but I'm only basing it on my experience in one area, same goes for the UK where our experience with education has been that it's amazing but again I only know one area. It will very much depend on where you are, class sizes here are much smaller than they were in Canada, and education is IMO far better. Just to chuck another idea in the pot, a move within the UK could improve education and save a lot of cost/hassle too, plus mean not leaving your parents?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 21st 2020 at 10:37 am.
Old Oct 24th 2020, 1:11 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I've move the posts about French immersion / schooling in Canada to a thread of it's own, as we try to keep the Immigration and Citizenship forum on topic..
French Immersion / schooling Canada
Old Oct 25th 2020, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

Budgie1066 has a reputation beyond reputeBudgie1066 has a reputation beyond reputeBudgie1066 has a reputation beyond reputeBudgie1066 has a reputation beyond reputeBudgie1066 has a reputation beyond reputeBudgie1066 has a reputation beyond reputeBudgie1066 has a reputation beyond reputeBudgie1066 has a reputation beyond reputeBudgie1066 has a reputation beyond reputeBudgie1066 has a reputation beyond reputeBudgie1066 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, when we applied I was 44yrs and back then it became harder if you were over 45yrs.
Definitely go for the Business/Entrepreneur route. It certainly helps if you are going to invest in Canada.
All the best
Old Oct 25th 2020, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

OP If I said Yes you are too old would that change your mind? Yes your age is against you but doesn't mean you couldn't try as there are over 50 routes to PR but some of them might not be to your liking or preferred area. As for bringing elderly parents then again the chances of them getting PR is very very slim as they would have to qualify on their own merits or wait until you become a PR and eligible to sponsor them.
Can it be done yes but IMHO your chances are very slim unless you to choose to modify your expectations.