Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Wanting to move for a year or two to Canada

Wanting to move for a year or two to Canada

Old Oct 19th 2022, 11:26 pm
Just Joined

Nomad101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wanting to move for a year or two to Canada

Hi, I'm pretty new here so I'm not sure if this is a dumb question.

I'm looking to try and move to Canada for a year or two (maybe permanently if I can) if I like it. I was going to try the IEC pool however I just missed it and the next one could be either in December/January, only problem is I turn 31 in early February.

I was hoping to try the express entry route as I have a professional job, been working in finance for the past 6 years, have enough savings and I don't mind doing the IELTs test and even getting my university degree accredited to apply but I'm not sure it's worth it. I've predicted the kind of score I'd get which is roughly 350, the lowest score of the last people to get accepted was around 550.

If anyone could drop me any advice on how I could go about this it would be great.

Thanks!
Old Oct 20th 2022, 5:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanting to move for a year or two to Canada

Ah shame about the IEC, just replied to your other post. Feb might just work but only if they open the program in January again (it’s previously been as late as April). All I can suggest is that you make sure you’re ready to apply as soon as it opens in case it is before your birthday. You don’t by any chance have a route to Irish citizenship do you? Via a grandparent or similar?

If you only want to move for a year or two then EE seems overkill, but you’re not scoring enough anyway unfortunately. Unless you’re in a trade occupation? What’s your job?

If you have the funds you could do a study permit? Alternatively, finding a job offer from a sponsoring employer.

Do you have a specific province you want to move to? Or any that you definitely don’t want to move to?
Old Oct 20th 2022, 9:37 am
Just Joined

I'm gonna keep an eye on the IEC entry pool, hopefully it'll open sooner and I'll apply straight away. I turn 31 on February 10th so I know my chances are even more slim as I won't have the opportunity to stay in the pool long. I've been hopping everywhere asking everyone who won a spot in the pool how long it took lol

I don't have a route to Irish citizenship.

I'm a Finance Analyst for a retail company, I think it's noc A. Are trade workers higher in score than skilled workers?

I do have funds that could possibly be used for study permit but as a graduate and someone already in a career type of role I wouldn't want to take that option. I have a gut feeling looking for a job without a permit and outside the country will be really difficult. I may still give it a shot though.

I was hoping Ontario, I'm a city type of person

Old Oct 20th 2022, 10:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nomad101
I'm gonna keep an eye on the IEC entry pool, hopefully it'll open sooner and I'll apply straight away. I turn 31 on February 10th so I know my chances are even more slim as I won't have the opportunity to stay in the pool long. I've been hopping everywhere asking everyone who won a spot in the pool how long it took lol
The trouble is, as I said on your other post, it will depend on how many others in the pool at the time. If somebody applied with only 100 others in the pool, they'll have got an ITA straight away. Whereas somebody that applied with 6000 in the pool would have stood much less chance. All you can do is hope it opens asap and be ready to apply as soon as it does.

I'm a Finance Analyst for a retail company, I think it's noc A. Are trade workers higher in score than skilled workers?
No, much lower score required, which is why I asked as your 350 would have been enough. But never mind!

I do have funds that could possibly be used for study permit but as a graduate and someone already in a career type of role I wouldn't want to take that option. I have a gut feeling looking for a job without a permit and outside the country will be really difficult. I may still give it a shot though.

I was hoping Ontario, I'm a city type of person
Can you give a breakdown of your points score? If you're a graduate it seems quite low tbh. So I'm wondering if you've missed some points somewhere. Job hunting would be tricky, but have a good read of the Wiki for some tips, it may be your best/only option.

Ontario is the province with the most onerous PNP. Anywhere else you'd look at by any chance?
Old Oct 20th 2022, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

So I used a website called express entry calculator.com I put in my date of birth, for education I put bachelors degree (I got a 2:1 not sure what grade that equates to in Canada) in Accounting and Finance. I predicted I'd get 8s in the IELTs test after doing a practice paper, I put no work experience in Canada, 3 years or more outside of Canada (I have 6 in total). Everything else was a no.

I pretty much had my heart set on Ontario and haven't looked really anywhere else.

Thanks for your help btw, much appreciated.
Old Oct 20th 2022, 1:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

So I used a website called express entry calculator.com I put in my date of birth, for education I put bachelors degree (I got a 2:1 not sure what grade that equates to in Canada) in Accounting and Finance. I predicted I'd get 8s in the IELTs test after doing a practice paper, I put no work experience in Canada, 3 years or more outside of Canada (I have 6 in total). Everything else was a no.

I pretty much had my heart set on Ontario and haven't looked really anywhere else.

Thanks for your help btw, much appreciated.
OK, only use the official calculator - https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigr...d/crs-tool.asp

Try that and let us know what it says (with a breakdown if you can). I'd also assume max points for IELTS, as you're a native speaker and you could practice, so put that in for now to give you a better idea.
Old Oct 20th 2022, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

Your results

All Express Entry candidates get a score out of 1,200, based on the four parts of the Comprehensive Ranking System formula.

We invite the highest-ranking candidates from the pool to apply as a permanent resident through regular “rounds of invitations.” See what minimum scores have been in the past.

Core/Human capital factors

• Age = 105
  • Level of education = 120
  • Official Languages = 136
    • First Official Language = 136
    • Second Official Language = 0
  • Canadian work experience = 0
Subtotal - Core/Human capital factors = 361

Spouse factors

• Level of education = 0
  • First Official Languages = 0
  • Canadian work experience = 0
Subtotal - Spouse factors = 0

Skill transferability factors

Education (to a maximum of 50 points)

• A) Official Language proficiency and education = 25
  • B) Canadian work experience and education = 0
Subtotal = 25

Foreign work experience (to a maximum of 50 points)

• A) Official Language proficiency and foreign work experience = 50
  • B) Canadian and foreign work experience = 0
Subtotal = 50

Certificate of qualification = 0

Subtotal Skill transferability factors = 75

Additional points (to a maximum of 600 points)

Provincial nomination = 0

Job offer = 0

Study in Canada = 0

Sibling in Canada = 0

French-language skills = 0

Subtotal Additional points = 0
Comprehensive Ranking System formula grand total = 436
Old Oct 21st 2022, 8:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

OK, 436 sounds more like it. 350 sounded far too low for somebody your age with a degree! Still not enough though unfortunately, particularly as you'll lose points next Feb when you turn 31. Although I think that that level I'd get in the pool just in case, you never know if points will suddenly drop.

But if IEC isn't an option, it looks like a job offer/LMIA is your only way over from what you've said. I assume your company doesn't have any offices in Canada?
Old Oct 24th 2022, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

Hi, sorry for the late reply. My company doesn't have any offices in Canada.

I did get this email from CanadaIM. I've looked things up and read they basically do the applications for you but charge a price. Is this way possible? Can PNP give me the extra 600 points and how hard would it be to get? I'm looking into it but what they've emailed me below makes it seem like a sure thing.

Hello,
I trust this message finds you well.
I had reached out to you a couple of days ago to introduce myself in case you had any further questions.
I have now had a chance to fully review your credentials and note that your CRS score should you submit an application to the Express Entry pool could be between 400 and 450.
While this is a great score in comparison to other candidates currently in the pool (most of the applicants in the pool score less than 400), it appears that you will need our help closing the gap between your score and the current CRS cut-off.
One of the simplest ways to do this is to apply for a Provincial Nomination Program (PNP). When you are successfully entered into a PNP program, you receive an additional 600 points on your Express Entry application. Those additional points would have your application in the 1000 CRS score range and practically guarantee that you will receive an ITA with the next round of selections.
There are over 70 PNP options we can look at once you are in the pool, and as part of our Express Entry services, we will submit an expression of interest on your behalf to any PNP you are eligible for plus submit a full application for provincial nomination if you are invited to apply. This ensures you have as many options as possible to come to Canada.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this more with you and go over how Canadim can help you in your immigration to Canada.

Kindest regards / Sincères salutations,
Old Oct 24th 2022, 8:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Is this way possible? Can PNP give me the extra 600 points and how hard would it be to get? I'm looking into it but what they've emailed me below makes it seem like a sure thing.
They have rather over simplified it.

As I said above, Ontario is the province with the most onerous PNP (which is why I asked about other provinces - others are easier).

Obviously you'll need a job offer first, but for Ontario it's quite tough on employers - a large application fee plus a heck of a lot of paperwork (here's the document checklist just to give you an idea - https://www.ontario.ca/document/oinp...oyer-checklist). So tbh, if you're going down the job offer route, I'd expect to do a LMIA and TWP instead personally, as most employers would prefer to pay less and have less paperwork.