Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Section 32 Medical Surveillance 2.02 on COPR

Section 32 Medical Surveillance 2.02 on COPR

Old Oct 26th 2022, 5:04 pm
The Dude Abides

theotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond reputetheotherlebowski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Section 32 Medical Surveillance 2.02 on COPR

So, further to my previous post about my landing and worrying about the medical surveillance, I'm posting a breakdown of what I found out and what IRCC have to say in the hope that anyone else who examines their COPR and finds that clause might get a good night's sleep after reading it!

On landing and getting PR granted I was given the form to iniate medical surveillance. This appears to be a formality that they have to go through even if you're doing a soft landing.

I went to the IRCC site and found the following page: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/medical-exams/medical-surveillance.html#tuberculosis

About a third of the way down the page is this:

"If you were given a document at the port of entry telling you to report to your provincial or territorial public health authority in Canada within 7 or 30 days after arriving in Canada, you can disregard it. You only need to provide IRCC with your contact information when you have a home address and phone number in Canada."
I followed this up with an email to IRCC at this address: [email protected] and today (Oct 26th, 2022) received the following:
Good Day,

In order to initiate the medical surveillance process, it is important that you kindly provide your address and telephone number where you can be reached in Canada. This information will allow us to notify the appropriate provincial, territorial or local public health office and allow them to follow-up with you.

Once you know the address of where you will be residing permanently in Canada, please reply to this e-mail.

A copy of this correspondence will be included in your file.

We thank you for your cooperation.
This backs up what I suspected. If you're doing a soft landing and receive this form you can, as the IRCC site says, disregard it because you don't have a permanent address in your final destination province with which they can effectively follow up on your medical surveiilance.

However, I would STRONGLY recommend emailing them to let them know that you're doing a soft landing and NOT settling yet so that they can, as they've done with me, add a record of this on to your file to show that you're aware of your responsibilites and that you're not ignoring them or trying to avoid compliance.

I hope that this can help anyone who's breadcrumbed their way here having seen the Section 32 on their COPR and panicked!

Happy travels and maybe see some of you in Canada at some point!

Jack.