Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Volunteer work visa change of status

Volunteer work visa change of status

Old Nov 19th 2004, 5:31 am
Just Joined

corestar is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Volunteer work visa change of status

Hello Mr. Andrew,
I really appreciate you efforts for the people who seem pretty keen about Canada. Hope you do the same for me.

Iam 25yrs, male, Indian and presently not working. Studying the basic french course. There is a spiritual organzation in Quebec, which started the processing of my papers as they are interested in sponsoring me volunteer work visa as they say. They said they will tell me in time about the details. I still have a 30days left for their response. Meanwhile i would like to know few details in order to make myself ready financially and other wise:

1. What do they mean by processing papers?
2. What is my eligibility for volunteer work? I am a graphic designer for 2yrs and now do i stand a good chance of success in the canadian embassy in India?
3. If i do get the stamping, can i get married there in canada with my boyfriend? I know there are procedures but does my status as a volunteer stop my marriage process legally?
4. Or can i get a work permit after few months of volunteering instead of marriage?

Thanks a lot
regards
Old Nov 19th 2004, 5:57 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Volunteer work visa change of status

There is no such thing as "volunteer visa" - you either need work permit or you don't to volunteer. You are obviously not a missionary, thus to work for a "spiritual organization" in Canada you'll need a work permit. You will need to apply for it after employer obtains validation from HRSDC for the job offer.

Being in Canada on work perrmit doesn't preclude anyone from getting married here or anywhere else.

Originally Posted by corestar
Hello Mr. Andrew,
I really appreciate you efforts for the people who seem pretty keen about Canada. Hope you do the same for me.

Iam 25yrs, male, Indian and presently not working. Studying the basic french course. There is a spiritual organzation in Quebec, which started the processing of my papers as they are interested in sponsoring me volunteer work visa as they say. They said they will tell me in time about the details. I still have a 30days left for their response. Meanwhile i would like to know few details in order to make myself ready financially and other wise:

1. What do they mean by processing papers?
2. What is my eligibility for volunteer work? I am a graphic designer for 2yrs and now do i stand a good chance of success in the canadian embassy in India?
3. If i do get the stamping, can i get married there in canada with my boyfriend? I know there are procedures but does my status as a volunteer stop my marriage process legally?
4. Or can i get a work permit after few months of volunteering instead of marriage?

Thanks a lot
regards
Old Nov 19th 2004, 6:04 am
Just Joined

I gratefully appreciate the quick response. Now since work permit is required for me to work as a volunteer in this organization, can I know the requirements for the embassy here in India and also the eligibility/criteria.
Thanks a lot
Old Nov 20th 2004, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

Sumatra is an unknown quantity at this point

don't you think that you should ask the embassy about this
Old Nov 21st 2004, 3:13 am
Just Joined

Exclamation Re: Volunteer work visa change of status

Actually the Canadian embassy will take many weeks to reply to queries. Its very unprofessional of them and hence i approached this site. Do i need to take a language test if iam applying for volunteer work? Iam presently unemployed. Is it ok for applying for volunteering?