Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Visiting with PR Application In Progress

Visiting with PR Application In Progress

Old Jul 12th 2011, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

frednaughty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visiting with PR Application In Progress

I've had a good search on the internet and found mixed reviews on visiting Canada while a common-law PR application is in progress. My partner and I have booked our flights to Canada for the 14th of July and I am getting last minute jitters about going.

We have both booked a return flight for mid-December (my OH also did this because it was cheaper than a one-way ticket) and have packed my case for a visit rather than all worldly possessions. I don't have a mortgage or property in the UK and live with parents. I am a self-employed computer programmer.

All this makes me worry that I don't have enough "ties" in the UK to satisfy the IO.

Has anyone had any experience entering Canada as a visitor while their PR application is in progress?

Also, I've read that it's best to go to the desk with your partner and have your partner explain the situation to the official; would you all agree with this?

Thank you,

Dan
Old Jul 12th 2011, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of
Default Re: Visiting with PR Application In Progress

Originally Posted by frednaughty
I've had a good search on the internet and found mixed reviews on visiting Canada while a common-law PR application is in progress. My partner and I have booked our flights to Canada for the 14th of July and I am getting last minute jitters about going.

We have both booked a return flight for mid-December (my OH also did this because it was cheaper than a one-way ticket) and have packed my case for a visit rather than all worldly possessions. I don't have a mortgage or property in the UK and live with parents. I am a self-employed computer programmer.

All this makes me worry that I don't have enough "ties" in the UK to satisfy the IO.

Has anyone had any experience entering Canada as a visitor while their PR application is in progress?

Also, I've read that it's best to go to the desk with your partner and have your partner explain the situation to the official; would you all agree with this?

Thank you,

Dan
If you have a UK passport and a return ticket I very much doubt they will ask or care about your PR application, or know it exists.

Your visit is completely exclusive to your PR application, so there will be no problem I thik.

Wayne.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 12:55 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you,
Dan
A visit while awaiting your PR is quite in order and will have absolutely no effect on your application. You really shouldn't have to explain to any IO about your application being in progress, just perhaps that you're on a reccie.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 1:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Have you already applied for PR? If so, it's unlikely that your application will still be in process by December, you should have PR by then so can just use the trip to land.

Old Jul 12th 2011, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Have you already applied for PR? If so, it's unlikely that your application will still be in process by December, you should have PR by then so can just use the trip to land.

Sorry christmasoompa; reading back my original post I can see it's a little misleading. I have booked the flight for the 14th of July - returning mid-December.

Our application hasn't been submitted as of yet - just putting the finishing touches to it all; we don't want to let go of it!

So is the general consensus not to both go to the desk? Have my partner go through the citizen bit and I go through non-citizen?

Also, has anyone actually visited Canada while their application was in progress? Were you asked any questions regarding it?

Thank you for all the replies,

Dan.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 3:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

Sorry christmasoompa; reading back my original post I can see it's a little misleading. I have booked the flight for the 14th of July - returning mid-December.

Our application hasn't been submitted as of yet - just putting the finishing touches to it all; we don't want to let go of it!

So is the general consensus not to both go to the desk? Have my partner go through the citizen bit and I go through non-citizen?

Also, has anyone actually visited Canada while their application was in progress? Were you asked any questions regarding it?

Thank you for all the replies,

Dan.

One thing is that if you are in Canada for that length of time you may wish to inform the visa office.

The reason being is that they can send things like medical requests and passport requests by post, giving you 45 to 60 days to respond. If you fail to respond with their timeframe they could fail your application.

Some people get such things by email, seems a bit hit and miss at the moment. We got medical requests by standard mail, and passport requests by email. Others after June 2010 at London got passport requests by standard mail.

Regards your actual visit - sure you go through as a visitor and your partner as a citizen, no need to mention your PR application, if you are not completing a record of landing it is not relevant to them.

But definitely inform visa office if you are out of the country for any length of time. Also you may wish to get a friend to check your post for you whilst you're away, in case visa office send medical requests and/or passport requests by standard mail anyway.

Wayne.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

Canadian_Fig is an unknown quantity at this point

I would go through customs with you OH.

If you haven't submitted your application yet i wouldn't bother with telling them as in effect there isn't anything to tell them yet, I wouldn't worry you are within your rights to visit for 6 months, just remember don't be worried (although easy to say) don't go to the booth and spill you guts and chat loads just answer the questions they ask you and you only need to go into detail if you are asked.

Its not as daunting as it may seem, I came to Canada on the 28th of January two weeks after i put my application in, i was looking for 6 months visitor visa and too was very nervous, i brought all kinds of proofs with me even a letter from my employer saying I had a job and needed to return to the UK.
I needed nothing...I answered yes or no to questions was calm and they even offered me 12 months (but i had to go through to immigration so i didn't as just wanted to see the OH ) When i said i had an application for PR and wanted 6 months the guy knew where i was coming from and sent me on my way...i am still in canada now an had PPR 3 weeks ago

I would get you OH to come to the booth with you for sure, you both have return tickets so shows your intent, its easy for me to say now but really don't worry. You aren't breaking any law, yes its worrying that you might not get in but the chances are slim and the more worked up you get and nervous you will actually increase those chances of getting a grilling i believe.

I would take proof of funds to prove that you can support yourself, so a bank statement of some sorts. Best to take too much like i did and i ended up using none of it.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Canadian_Fig
I would go through customs with you OH.

If you haven't submitted your application yet i wouldn't bother with telling them as in effect there isn't anything to tell them yet, I wouldn't worry you are within your rights to visit for 6 months, just remember don't be worried (although easy to say) don't go to the booth and spill you guts and chat loads just answer the questions they ask you and you only need to go into detail if you are asked.

Its not as daunting as it may seem, I came to Canada on the 28th of January two weeks after i put my application in, i was looking for 6 months visitor visa and too was very nervous, i brought all kinds of proofs with me even a letter from my employer saying I had a job and needed to return to the UK.
I needed nothing...I answered yes or no to questions was calm and they even offered me 12 months (but i had to go through to immigration so i didn't as just wanted to see the OH ) When i said i had an application for PR and wanted 6 months the guy knew where i was coming from and sent me on my way...i am still in canada now an had PPR 3 weeks ago

I would get you OH to come to the booth with you for sure, you both have return tickets so shows your intent, its easy for me to say now but really don't worry. You aren't breaking any law, yes its worrying that you might not get in but the chances are slim and the more worked up you get and nervous you will actually increase those chances of getting a grilling i believe.

I would take proof of funds to prove that you can support yourself, so a bank statement of some sorts. Best to take too much like i did and i ended up using none of it.
The UK is a visa-exempt country for Canada and a visitor visa is not required, just a UK passport.

If the OP just says he is there on vacation and is planning to stay for up to 6 months, the presentation of his return ticket should be proof enough that he intends to return.

As you say, no need to mention PR unless asked - but also no problem if you do tell them about the PR. Since visiting for 6 months does not affect your PR in any way.

Aside from informing visa office so you don't get PPR or medical requests by post when you're not there to receive them, another minor factor may be that you are required to supply a police certificate for every country you have stayed in for 6 months or more. If you end up staying there for 6 months you may need to provide a police certificate prior to finalisation if your case is not finalised by then.

Wayne.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Waggle
The UK is a visa-exempt country for Canada and a visitor visa is not required, just a UK passport.

If the OP just says he is there on vacation and is planning to stay for up to 6 months, the presentation of his return ticket should be proof enough that he intends to return.

As you say, no need to mention PR unless asked - but also no problem if you do tell them about the PR. Since visiting for 6 months does not affect your PR in any way.

Aside from informing visa office so you don't get PPR or medical requests by post when you're not there to receive them, another minor factor may be that you are required to supply a police certificate for every country you have stayed in for 6 months or more. If you end up staying there for 6 months you may need to provide a police certificate prior to finalisation if your case is not finalised by then.

Wayne.
Yes sorry, its called dual intent entry but as he hasn't applied yet for PR it won't be classed as that.
Didn't mean to confuse with using the word 'visa' as stated above its not a visa you require just state your intent.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

nalin56 is an unknown quantity at this point

Im planning to go to Canada in sep to marry my Canadian fiancé. I'm going to have a return ticket for 6 months later by which point we will have the spousal sponsorship application in process. If I am asked on my arrival the purpose of my visit should I tell them I'm getting married?
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

Sorry for the late update on this - since getting here I've hardly had the time to get on a computer.

I just wanted to let people know the route we took.

We landed in Calgary on the 14th of July and took Canadian_Fig's advice on going through customs together.

Customs guy asked why he had passports from a citizen and a non-citizen handed to him. We told him we had came back to Canada to wait for the decision on our PR application to be made. He literally said, "OK." and stamped my passport. That was it... can't believe how much stressing and worrying we went through for something so trivial.

Thank you, Canadian_Fig and everyone else who had advice to give. We found it very helpful.

Dan.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

CANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of lightCANADIAN CARPERS is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry for the late update on this - since getting here I've hardly had the time to get on a computer.

We landed in Calgary on the 14th of July and took Canadian_Fig's advice on going through customs together.

Customs guy asked why he had passports from a citizen and a non-citizen handed to him. We told him we had came back to Canada to wait for the decision on our PR application to be made. He literally said, "OK." and stamped my passport. That was it... can't believe how much stressing and worrying we went through for something so trivial.

Thank you, Canadian_Fig and everyone else who had advice to give. We found it very helpful.

Dan.
My wife went through yesterday requesting a 6 month stay but when her passport was scanned our PR application was highlighted and he would only grant her 3 weeks.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

Dan.
Glad to hear it went smoothly...that was a carbon copy of what happened to me...totally stressed out in the build up, stressed on the plane and got there and he was nice and pie and just sent me on my way!

Now, good luck with the PR fella, and welcome to Canada!!!

Sorry to hear the other end and Carpers didn't get the 6 months though, don't understand why they don't maintain the same standards across the board