Divorce and Citizenship

Old Aug 19th 2011, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Batfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really nice
Default Divorce and Citizenship

Hi All,

It's been a while since i last visited this site -i guess being happy and settling into my new home has taken all my time and focus Moving here has definately been the best thing that I have ever done (aside from the children of course!). I have never really felt that I have belonged anywhere - until I came here....now i feel like i am home ! But of course, as always I am here because i need some advice - if anyone can help i would be most grateful...

My situation is this: I have been a permanent resident since Feb 2009 when myself, my husband and my 2 children moved to Ont. My husband and I separated in May of last year and i'm wondering, as I am eligible to apply for citizenship next Feb if i am likely to encounter any problems due to the fact that we all came here as a family and now it will be just me applying for Citizenship? I seem to remember this subject cropping up when i was doing all of my research a few years ago and people were being advised that all should be fine seeing as they were a PR in their own right but I am wondering if any of the rules have changed....? Basically i'm a little (ok a lot!!!) worried that due to the change in my marital status I will not be allowed to stay...

Is there anyone out there that can offer me some advice please..?

Thanks
Mel
Old Aug 19th 2011, 3:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Divorce and Citizenship

No worries at all, your marital status has nothing to do with it. So as long as you've got the requisite 3 years out of the previous 4 as a PR in Canada, and haven't committed any major crimes, you can apply for citizenship.

Old Aug 19th 2011, 4:15 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your divorce, but yes you should be fine for citizenship.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

First of all im sorry about your divorce, I seperated at the same time last year and it sucks.

But just to put your mind at ease, i got my citizenship last week with no problems regarding my marital status, as someone else said as long as youv met the requirements and you havent been in trouble with the police your all gravy

Good Luck.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

gad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond reputegad33 has a reputation beyond repute

I was asked about my husband when I went to my citizenship test recently. (I heard another female being asked the same question, so don't know if it was reserved for females or if they asked all applicants about their spouses.)

Anyway I was asked if I had come to Canada with my husband, asked if he was a Canadian (no) and asked why he wasn't applying for citizenship.

I don't know if these are standard questions or something Calgary thought up to check English knowledge.

Anyway just giving you a heads up they might ask - who knows - at the rate they're going by the time you take the test they could have changed everything again.
Old Aug 22nd 2011, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

Batfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really niceBatfink is just really nice

Thanks for the replies guys - I appreciate it...it's good to know that other people have been through the same kind of stuff and still made it Here's hoping - Feb can't come fast enough for me
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Batfink and welcome to Ottawa-shire.
I kicked my ex out a few months after arriving and divorced him. I took my citizenship test at the first opportunity and his name was never even mentioned, so you should be OK.

Btw, if you're up for a coffee, just PM me!