Visa Advice

Old Aug 28th 2013, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

MeadowsC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa Advice

Hi all,

I'm wondering if somebody on here can help me out. I've had a few issues but have been advised to post on here as more than likely, there is someone in the same boat.

I worked in Whistler last winter from January until April on an IEC 1 year work permit. I had to return back to the UK after for various reasons instead of staying for the summer. I have flights booked for early November and am planning on doing another season.

My work permit expires January 12th and my employer advised me that I could apply for an extension and during the admin period , still work for them. However after speaking to other folk from the UK in a similar situation, I now see that that isn't possible. I believe it has changed this year and instead of extending, I would have to apply for a new permit. Is this the case? I can't seem to find much info on the IEC website and their phoneline is useless.

I tried to get a new permit when the last batch went on sale but I had no luck with my computer constantly crashing during the chaotic struggle with everyone else.

Is anyone able to clear things up for me as I'm starting to stress about the whole thing! What do you think the best option for me is and is their anywhere you would recommend I go for advice.

Thanks,
Chris
Old Aug 28th 2013, 5:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa Advice

Originally Posted by MeadowsC
Hi all,

I'm wondering if somebody on here can help me out. I've had a few issues but have been advised to post on here as more than likely, there is someone in the same boat.

I worked in Whistler last winter from January until April on an IEC 1 year work permit. I had to return back to the UK after for various reasons instead of staying for the summer. I have flights booked for early November and am planning on doing another season.

My work permit expires January 12th and my employer advised me that I could apply for an extension and during the admin period , still work for them. However after speaking to other folk from the UK in a similar situation, I now see that that isn't possible. I believe it has changed this year and instead of extending, I would have to apply for a new permit. Is this the case? I can't seem to find much info on the IEC website and their phoneline is useless.

I tried to get a new permit when the last batch went on sale but I had no luck with my computer constantly crashing during the chaotic struggle with everyone else.

Is anyone able to clear things up for me as I'm starting to stress about the whole thing! What do you think the best option for me is and is their anywhere you would recommend I go for advice.

Thanks,
Chris
IEC work permits cannot be extended and this years has closed. To continue working the employer needs to apply for an LMO. Choices in your case are limited.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the quick reply. What are these limited choices though? Is there a direction you can point me in for advice?
Old Aug 28th 2013, 5:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the quick reply. What are these limited choices though? Is there a direction you can point me in for advice?
FL has given you the limited choices I'm afraid.

IEC's have never been extendable, your employer is mistaken about that - it's not a new thing.

So your only options are to either wait until the 2014 program opens up and get another one, for your employer to apply for a LMO for you and get a 'normal' TWP, or for your employer to sponsor you under the PNP and get a work permit that way.

If you need info on any of the above, have a look at the Wiki to start with and then feel free to ask questions once you've figured out the likely visa route.

Good luck.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

Thanks a lot, thats cleared things up. I'll do some further reading and hopefully get everything sorted.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 5:27 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE!

I have moved your thread to the main Immigration Forum.

Your choices are:

Come over and work until your present IEC expires in January, then apply to change your status to visitor.

Apply for another IEC when they are available in December/January.

or

Ask your employer to apply for a Labour Market Opinion (LMO) and if approved go to the border and obtain a Temporary Work Permit (TWP)

or

If you job is classed as skilled (A/O/B) then see if your employer would sponsor you for Provincial Nomination.

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 28th 2013 at 5:32 pm. Reason: typo - thanks Christmasoompa
Old Aug 28th 2013, 5:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you are thinking of becoming a Permanent Resident then the LMO is possibly the only route available. Becoming a PR has several other routes that you may qualify for. Read this link

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp
Old Aug 28th 2013, 5:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
If you job is classed as skilled (A/O/C) then see if your employer would sponsor you for Provincial Nomination.
BC also has a semi-skilled stream. And I know you know and it's just a typo, but just for the sake of anybody reading it's A/O/B that are Skilled, not A/O/C.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 5:34 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
BC also has a semi-skilled stream. And I know you know and it's just a typo, but just for the sake of anybody reading it's A/O/B that are Skilled, not A/O/C.
Thanks, yes a typo! Now corrected

BC do have a semi-skilled stream, however, you are required to have been working continuously in BC for 9 months to qualify for it, which the OP cannot achieve in the time frame left on their current IEC.

"... full-time in an eligible occupation for a period of at least nine consecutive months immediately prior to the date their BC PNP application is submitted... "

http://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate/im...kers-Home.aspx
Old Aug 28th 2013, 5:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Thanks, yes a typo! Now corrected

BC do have a semi-skilled stream, however, you are required to have been working continuously in BC for 9 months to qualify for it, which the OP cannot achieve in the time frame left on their current IEC.

"... full-time in an eligible occupation for a period of at least nine consecutive months immediately prior to the date their BC PNP application is submitted... "

http://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate/im...kers-Home.aspx
I know, but there's no reason the OP couldn't get another IEC and then apply via the PNP - of course, they may qualify as Skilled so this may all be a moot point, fingers crossed!