Two TWP's at the same time

Old Jun 18th 2010, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

snowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura about
Default Two TWP's at the same time

Morning all!

A quick question to see if anyone knows the official stance on this.

When I went to Buffalo recently to apply for a new TWP on my return into Canada after having printed the new TWP the visa officer asked me "If you're still going to be working here i'll leave this in" pointing to my old visa for my previous company. I told her I had left and she removed it.

Now was that some sort of trick question or could I have had two visa's in my passport for two different companies? To me it makes sense that I could have two visa's providing both jobs where valid to get one (for the sake of argument an LMO was issued for both). If I wished to work all the hours that god brings that is.

Anyone have any experience of this?

Tom
Old Jun 18th 2010, 1:34 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two TWP's at the same time

I suppose if there was a transition from one job to the next you would be in a position where the first jobs permit on paper is still valid to its original expiration date (as it is if you loose the job, you can stay till the expiration date), and the second job pemit would be valid too if it wasnt validated to start from a specific date. In practice though once you take up job 2 the TWP for job one becomes superseded as by definition TWPs are issued only for "full time" jobs, and you can only have one of them at a time.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 1:52 am
BE Enthusiast

snowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by iaink
I suppose if there was a transition from one job to the next you would be in a position where the first jobs permit on paper is still valid to its original expiration date (as it is if you loose the job, you can stay till the expiration date), and the second job pemit would be valid too if it wasnt validated to start from a specific date. In practice though once you take up job 2 the TWP for job one becomes superseded as by definition TWPs are issued only for "full time" jobs, and you can only have one of them at a time.

Is it true you can only have one "Full time" job though? Full time is any more than a 35 - 40 hr working week a week has more than twice that so I would think you maybe could have two full time jobs no?

Lets say for sake of argument two employer specific Visa's can not coincide due to the "Full time" requirement so lets change the first visa to an Open Work Permit which allows me to work for whoever I choose but I decide early into that permit that I want to try an extend for a three year TWP and it's issued again at port of entry.

Is my open permit still valid until it's expiry? Keeping in mind that I applied for a new TWP not for a change of condition on my OWP.

By the way this isn't important its just my inquisitive mind always so don't bust a nut thinking about it.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 2:06 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loki117
Is it true you can only have one "Full time" job though? Full time is any more than a 35 - 40 hr working week a week has more than twice that so I would think you maybe could have two full time jobs no?

Lets say for sake of argument two employer specific Visa's can not coincide due to the "Full time" requirement so lets change the first visa to an Open Work Permit which allows me to work for whoever I choose but I decide early into that permit that I want to try an extend for a three year TWP and it's issued again at port of entry.

Is my open permit still valid until it's expiry? Keeping in mind that I applied for a new TWP not for a change of condition on my OWP.

By the way this isn't important its just my inquisitive mind always so don't bust a nut thinking about it.
Enquiring minds eh? Remember what happened to that curous cat

There is no way CIC will issue two concurrent job specific work permits for one person to do two full time jobs at the same time.

I dont know, but I strongly suspect that if you have an open permit CIC would not issue a closed one in its place at the POE? Not sure though. If you had an open permit there would be little motivation to apply for a new one until it was about to expire anyway.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 2:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iaink
Enquiring minds eh? Remember what happened to that curous cat

There is no way CIC will issue two concurrent job specific work permits for one person to do two full time jobs at the same time.

I dont know, but I strongly suspect that if you have an open permit CIC would not issue a closed one in its place at the POE? Not sure though. If you had an open permit there would be little motivation to apply for a new one until it was about to expire anyway.
Good job I ain't a cat or I would have been run down by a lawn mower LONG ago. My sisters used to call me the Why bird due to my insistence on asking "why?"

I would have guessed the same thing regarding multiple TWP it just threw me as to why the agent asked if I wanted to keep the TWP in my passport.

As for the Open vs closed thing it actually happened to me at POE Pearson airport they issued a closed TWP to me with 5 months left to run on my OWP weird I know but I wanted to make sure I was eligible for my root before planning to stick around after the OWP expiry so wanted to get it done as early as possible.

I believe the OWP was left in my passport but can't remember now as it is gone (could have been done at the latest TWP renewal in Buffalo though as I wasnt paying much attention).