Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Trying to get PR and Apprenticeship in Canada on IEC Visa?

Trying to get PR and Apprenticeship in Canada on IEC Visa?

Old Feb 10th 2024, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

Mike111 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trying to get PR and Apprenticeship in Canada on IEC Visa?

Hello British Expats!

I've been in Canada since October 2021 and would like to apply for PR. My current IEC visa (under my second, Irish Citizenship) runs until the end of October 2025. Im currently employed in a TEER 2 job in BC and although my employer would like to sponsor me, my current points under BC PNP are 97, wayyyy off the current min points of 122 and I don't think ill see much of an improvement in that score before my work visa in Canada expires.

Im struggling to get a straight answer on whether I can apply for an apprenticeship in BC (or elsewhere) and was wondering if anyone has any info on this? There was a new public policy which allowed folks on foreign work visas to apply for apprenticeships if their visa was granted before June 2023 - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...dy-permit.html
I had a visa granted before this time, however my current visa was granted after this date, which I believe would make me ineligible?

I would be eligible for another 2 year RO visa after my current visa expires, so would give my just under 4 years to complete an apprenticeship if I was allowed to do so, which is getting tight....I think having started an apprenticeship would allow me to apply for BC PNP and the trades are in high demand with a current score of 75 for construction jobs.

I think my other option would be to get year round work in Yukon, Newfoundland or the Northwest Territories as their PNPs seem easier to attain without a trade or degree behind you. Anyone with experience doing this or any advice would be much appreciated!

Seems to be getting tougher to get PR here and Im struggling to find a clear path, even after an appointment with an Immigration Consultant recently.

Any advice would be much appreciated, cheers, Mike
Old Feb 11th 2024, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

Hemlock is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Trying to get PR and Apprenticeship in Canada on IEC Visa?

Originally Posted by Mike111
Hello British Expats!

I've been in Canada since October 2021 and would like to apply for PR. My current IEC visa (under my second, Irish Citizenship) runs until the end of October 2025. Im currently employed in a TEER 2 job in BC and although my employer would like to sponsor me, my current points under BC PNP are 97, wayyyy off the current min points of 122 and I don't think ill see much of an improvement in that score before my work visa in Canada expires.

Im struggling to get a straight answer on whether I can apply for an apprenticeship in BC (or elsewhere) and was wondering if anyone has any info on this? There was a new public policy which allowed folks on foreign work visas to apply for apprenticeships if their visa was granted before June 2023 - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...dy-permit.html
I had a visa granted before this time, however my current visa was granted after this date, which I believe would make me ineligible?

I would be eligible for another 2 year RO visa after my current visa expires, so would give my just under 4 years to complete an apprenticeship if I was allowed to do so, which is getting tight....I think having started an apprenticeship would allow me to apply for BC PNP and the trades are in high demand with a current score of 75 for construction jobs.

I think my other option would be to get year round work in Yukon, Newfoundland or the Northwest Territories as their PNPs seem easier to attain without a trade or degree behind you. Anyone with experience doing this or any advice would be much appreciated!

Seems to be getting tougher to get PR here and Im struggling to find a clear path, even after an appointment with an Immigration Consultant recently.

Any advice would be much appreciated, cheers, Mike
This is eligibility criteria in AB, other provinces are similar;
https://tradesecrets.alberta.ca/poli...e-eligibility/
Old Feb 11th 2024, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your reply Hemlock! I saw that Alberta wouldn't be possible without PR/Citizenship, however Im not sure if this policy (link in my first comment) they've introduced supersedes Albertas rules or not? I believe with my current visa being issued after the date they gave that I wouldn't be eligible for that anyway...
Old Feb 12th 2024, 1:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

It always used to be that you couldn't do an apprenticeship without PR or citizenship, not sure if that's changed but even if it has then I don't see how that would qualify you for PR.

Can you break down your points score for us, for both EE (CRS) and PNP?
Old Feb 14th 2024, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

Hey christmasoompa, thanks for your reply!

My plan would be to go for BC PNP having started an apprenticeship, as they currently say - "Housing is a top priority for B.C. To support the skilled construction workforce that is needed to meet B.C.’s residential housing demand, certified workers in select construction occupations are prioritized."
Workers in the construction sector must meet the following requirements to benefit from targeted invitations to apply:
  • The job offer must be for an indeterminate, full-time job in one of the priority construction occupations
  • You must have a valid trade certificate issued by, or an apprenticeship registered with SkilledTradesBC"

The last draw they held in that category was inviting candidates with scores as low as 75 points so I think I wouldn't have too much trouble being eligible for that if I could get an apprenticeship started.

My current score for BC PNP is 97 points (their current lowest score for the 'skilled worker' category that I fall under at the moment is 122) and my CRS score is 423, so also way under the current minimum scores....

Many thanks for your help, it is very much appreciated! Cheers, Mike