Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Can I reapply for an IEC? Won’t be using my approved WP from 1st application

Can I reapply for an IEC? Won’t be using my approved WP from 1st application

Old Feb 15th 2024, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Fedupscotsman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I reapply for an IEC? Won’t be using my approved WP from 1st application

As above.

applied for an IEC, submitted all my docs and was set to go over in August.

unfortunately however my car finance company have thrown a spanner in the works. I was told by them when I enquired before applying for the IEC that I could hand my car back in July with no penalties which would’ve cleared the way for me to make the move to Canada.

spoke to them midweek and essentially the advisor id spoken to previously was an idiot and misadvised me.

as a result I’ve got the option of either paying the finance company around 5k which puts a serious dent in what I have saved for going to Canada or wait until June 2025 before I can hand the car back penalty free.

my big worry is that because I’ve applied already if I tell them I can’t make it before the expiry date on my port of entry letter that I’d be blacklisted or considered as having used my chance for an IEC.

can anybody advise on this please?

TIA
Old Feb 15th 2024, 8:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I reapply for an IEC? Won’t be using my approved WP from 1st application

Originally Posted by Fedupscotsman
As above.

applied for an IEC, submitted all my docs and was set to go over in August.

unfortunately however my car finance company have thrown a spanner in the works. I was told by them when I enquired before applying for the IEC that I could hand my car back in July with no penalties which would’ve cleared the way for me to make the move to Canada.

spoke to them midweek and essentially the advisor id spoken to previously was an idiot and misadvised me.

as a result I’ve got the option of either paying the finance company around 5k which puts a serious dent in what I have saved for going to Canada or wait until June 2025 before I can hand the car back penalty free.

my big worry is that because I’ve applied already if I tell them I can’t make it before the expiry date on my port of entry letter that I’d be blacklisted or considered as having used my chance for an IEC.

can anybody advise on this please?

TIA
It doesn't count as a participation unless you actually travel to Canada and get your visa. So you can reapply next year, as long as you're young enough of course.

Don't know if it's an option in the UK but check to see if somebody can take over your lease - it won't get you the full amount (usually) but would get you a good chunk of the money and may be cheaper than reapplying for IEC. In the US there are websites for this situation, might be worth seeing if you can find something similar there?
Old Feb 15th 2024, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Can I reapply for an IEC? Won’t be using my approved WP from 1st application

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It doesn't count as a participation unless you actually travel to Canada and get your visa. So you can reapply next year, as long as you're young enough of course.

Don't know if it's an option in the UK but check to see if somebody can take over your lease - it won't get you the full amount (usually) but would get you a good chunk of the money and may be cheaper than reapplying for IEC. In the US there are websites for this situation, might be worth seeing if you can find something similar there?
thanks for the reply! I’m reading online that once my POE letter has been issued it has essentially used up my participation in the scheme? That’s from 2017 though and you’ve been absolutely spot on with everything you’ve told me and helped me with on here. Are you certain that’s the case?

they’ve extend the eligibility to 35 so thankfully I’d be young enough to reapply if I was allowed to.

im looking into every alternative. If I could find somebody to talk over the lease it’d be an ideal scenario but it’s not looking likely. I feel sick thinking I might miss out because of an idiot misadvising me, yes I should’ve read the small print etc but I’m gutted.

Old Feb 15th 2024, 9:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fedupscotsman
thanks for the reply! I’m reading online that once my POE letter has been issued it has essentially used up my participation in the scheme? That’s from 2017 though and you’ve been absolutely spot on with everything you’ve told me and helped me with on here. Are you certain that’s the case?
Yep. It changed just over a year ago. https://ircc.canada.ca/english/helpc...asp?qnum=1641&

Old Feb 15th 2024, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yep. It changed just over a year ago. https://ircc.canada.ca/english/helpc...asp?qnum=1641&

don’t think you’ll ever realise just how much of a help you’ve been to me!

thank you so much!