British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Trucking jobs seem to have dried up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/trucking-jobs-seem-have-dried-up-941973/)

Rogo Dec 16th 2021 9:08 am

Trucking jobs seem to have dried up
 
Advertising for overseas drivers now seems to have dried up compared to 10 years Ago , anyone successfully made the move I’ve noticed some jobs on Facebook and kijiji But suspect they Are scams .

christmasoompa Dec 17th 2021 5:44 am

Re: Trucking jobs seem to have dried up
 
10 years ago it was easy for employers to hire foreign workers under the old system of LMO’s. That changed when LMIA’s were introduced, but particularly for certain industries like trucking, with the rules about capping the number of foreign workers a business could hire.

Rogo Dec 17th 2021 8:07 am

Re: Trucking jobs seem to have dried up
 
I see but I still see online and in trucking forms there’s still a severe shortage of Drivers

Siouxie Dec 17th 2021 5:01 pm

Re: Trucking jobs seem to have dried up
 

Originally Posted by Rogo (Post 13081949)
I see but I still see online and in trucking forms there’s still a severe shortage of Drivers

There are jobs available...

We found 2,896 truck driver jobs in Canada. The job postings found are for all Transport truck drivers (NOC 7511).

There are 2,896 job postings in Canada
https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketreport/jobs/10553/ca

We found 2,896 long haul truck driver jobs in Canada.
Long Haul - https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketreport/jobs/10540/ca
Some Provinces have Provincial Nomination routes for Truck Drivers.. Where do you want to be - or are you prepared to go anywhere to get into Canada?
Obtaining an LMIA isn't easy - but potentially with Provincial Nomination you could get a TWP without needing one. :D

This job is available for those without a work permit.. there will be others, if you search :D (as suggested previously)
https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/jobsearch/jobposting/34908456

Who can apply to this job?

The employer accepts applications from:
  • Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
  • Other candidates with or without a valid Canadian work permit.

Do you have the license in Canada to do this type of work?

Rogo Dec 17th 2021 6:58 pm

Re: Trucking jobs seem to have dried up
 

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 13082042)
There are jobs available...

https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketreport/jobs/10553/ca


Some Provinces have Provincial Nomination routes for Truck Drivers.. Where do you want to be - or are you prepared to go anywhere to get into Canada?
Obtaining an LMIA isn't easy - but potentially with Provincial Nomination you could get a TWP without needing one. :D

This job is available for those without a work permit.. there will be others, if you search :D (as suggested previously)
https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/jobsearch/jobposting/34908456


Do you have the license in Canada to do this type of work?

thanks for links I don’t have a Canadian CDL license, and at my Age 46 I’m sure there would be Lots of Hoops to jump through .I’ve read somewhere About IELTS needed to prove English Ability then there would be truck training and a brake Test , oh I like the Ocean but Also mountains Alberta out West or possibly the Maritimes that might be easier to Gain PR .

Siouxie Dec 17th 2021 7:19 pm

Re: Trucking jobs seem to have dried up
 

Originally Posted by Rogo (Post 13082068)
thanks for links I don’t have a Canadian CDL license, and at my Age 46 I’m sure there would be Lots of Hoops to jump through .I’ve read somewhere About IELTS needed to prove English Ability then there would be truck training and a brake Test , oh I like the Ocean but Also mountains Alberta out West or possibly the Maritimes that might be easier to Gain PR .

What is it you presently do for a living? There are many routes to Permanent Residency in Canada... :)

Alex2201 Dec 18th 2021 12:38 am

Re: Trucking jobs seem to have dried up
 
There are plenty of jobs in trucking. A few you might even want to do ;)

I am a Trucker. I have been here for nearly 12 years. Lived in New Brunswick for 8, now in Ontario. As mentioned above the process is a bit different from when I came over but it is still possible depending on what and where you want.

Do you have any specific parts of the industry that you want to work in and what sort of experience do you have?

Alex2201 Dec 18th 2021 12:56 am

Re: Trucking jobs seem to have dried up
 

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 13082042)
There are jobs available...

https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketreport/jobs/10553

This job is available for those without a work permit.. there will be others, if you search :D (as suggested previously)
https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/jobsearch/jobposting/34908456


Do you have the license in Canada to do this type of work?

Not having a Canadian commercial vehicle license isn’t a problem. As a foreign driver you are treated as a learner. This means passing the theory test, air brake license and practical driving test. Any decent company will help you with this.

I appreciate that you are trying to help with the job link but I would avoid those sort of ads like Boris is a Johnson avoids the truth, integrity and accountability :p

Siouxie Dec 18th 2021 5:13 am

Re: Trucking jobs seem to have dried up
 

Originally Posted by Alex2201 (Post 13082135)
Not having a Canadian commercial vehicle license isn’t a problem. As a foreign driver you are treated as a learner. This means passing the theory test, air brake license and practical driving test. Any decent company will help you with this.

I appreciate that you are trying to help with the job link but I would avoid those sort of ads like Boris is a Johnson avoids the truth, integrity and accountability :p

That's good news on the license side.. Where is the best place to look for jobs - and which companies are 'decent' and might be willing to train and apply for an LMIA (or might have jobs available)?

It might be difficult to obtain an LMIA for someone who hasn't got the necessary license for trucking already. It's a bit different getting a work permit these days, unfortunately, requiring the potential employer to advertise extensively for weeks and then prove that there are no PR's / Citizens / Open work permit holders who are able or willing to do the job (and pay $1,000 to apply). https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-...n-workers.html - unless they can come in under one of the Provincial programs without the need for an LMIA.. fingers crossed! :fingerscrossed:

Manitoba guidelines for truck driving jobs, might be of use, if the OP has 3 years of prior experience elsewhere - https://immigratemanitoba.com/inform...truck-drivers/

Saskatchewan - https://www.saskatchewan.ca/resident...driver-project

There are probably others :)

Alex2201 Dec 18th 2021 2:36 pm

Re: Trucking jobs seem to have dried up
 

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 13082152)
That's good news on the license side.. Where is the best place to look for jobs - and which companies are 'decent' and might be willing to train and apply for an LMIA (or might have jobs available)?

It might be difficult to obtain an LMIA for someone who hasn't got the necessary license for trucking already. It's a bit different getting a work permit these days, unfortunately, requiring the potential employer to advertise extensively for weeks and then prove that there are no PR's / Citizens / Open work permit holders who are able or willing to do the job (and pay $1,000 to apply). https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-...n-workers.html - unless they can come in under one of the Provincial programs without the need for an LMIA.. fingers crossed! :fingerscrossed:

Manitoba guidelines for truck driving jobs, might be of use, if the OP has 3 years of prior experience elsewhere - https://immigratemanitoba.com/inform...truck-drivers/

Saskatchewan - https://www.saskatchewan.ca/resident...driver-project

There are probably others :)

Need a bit more info from the OP re experience.

Decent usually means medium to large companies in context of this situation. A quick internet search should be able to get some information on this front.

I would suggest that the op concentrate on the provincial route as that is the way most truckers go.

I decided where I wanted to go and started looking for companies in that area and cold calling them. A lot of them were not interested but were more than happy to have a chat about what they did and the industry in general. I was referred to the company that took me on this way.

Indeed, kijjij and Job bank are all good sites. Research is the key.



OrangeMango Dec 19th 2021 4:55 pm

Re: Trucking jobs seem to have dried up
 

Originally Posted by Alex2201 (Post 13082135)
Not having a Canadian commercial vehicle license isn’t a problem. As a foreign driver you are treated as a learner. This means passing the theory test, air brake license and practical driving test. Any decent company will help you with this.

Any decent company will help you with this, means what exactly?

Would they employ you as a learner, and pay you for the training? I would doubt that one very much.

As far as I know truck driving is only really interesting in Canada if you're willing to travel long distance, be away for something like 7 or 14 days in a row or something like that? Or am I wrong here?

Siouxie Dec 19th 2021 6:34 pm

Re: Trucking jobs seem to have dried up
 
If the OP is open to Nova Scotia, this stream might be of use :)
https://novascotiaimmigration.com/mo...ons-in-demand/

Alex2201 Dec 19th 2021 6:59 pm

Re: Trucking jobs seem to have dried up
 

Originally Posted by OrangeMango (Post 13082386)
Any decent company will help you with this, means what exactly?

Would they employ you as a learner, and pay you for the training? I would doubt that one very much.

As far as I know truck driving is only really interesting in Canada if you're willing to travel long distance, be away for something like 7 or 14 days in a row or something like that? Or am I wrong here?

It means that they will take you on, pay you and help you get through the tests. I was lent books to study from. I did a couple of shifts in the work shop being shown how to get through the air brake license.

Feel free to doubt but that’s exactly what happened with me. I was a UK class 1 driver before moving here. You can exchange your car license for a Canadian one but not the commercial element so by definition you are a learner. I was paid min wage for a few weeks to learn the ropes and get ready for the test. I covered the test fees but had use of the company truck to do it. After 6 months of being here they wrote me a cheque to cover the cost of the plane ticket. I had booked a one year return in case it went pear shaped. This was a requirement for NB pop at the time.

Long haul is the most likely route in as that is where the greatest shortage is. Long haul is a loose definition and can mean 3/4 days to multiple weeks out. Again it depends on what you want, the location and the company you are working for. I know drivers that have come over on pnp and not worked long haul however they had some very specific experience that was in demand.

Rogo Dec 19th 2021 7:35 pm

Re: Trucking jobs seem to have dried up
 

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 13082079)
What is it you presently do for a living? There are many routes to Permanent Residency in Canada... :)

I’m a truck driver but outside Canada , if I gave you the impression I was currently in Canada I Was wrong I'm Actually in the uk .

Rogo Dec 19th 2021 7:36 pm

Re: Trucking jobs seem to have dried up
 

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 13082042)
There are jobs available...

https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketreport/jobs/10553/ca


Some Provinces have Provincial Nomination routes for Truck Drivers.. Where do you want to be - or are you prepared to go anywhere to get into Canada?
Obtaining an LMIA isn't easy - but potentially with Provincial Nomination you could get a TWP without needing one. :D

This job is available for those without a work permit.. there will be others, if you search :D (as suggested previously)
https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/jobsearch/jobposting/34908456


Do you have the license in Canada to do this type of work?

no I don’t have a CDL license


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:38 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.