British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Trucking jobs seem to have dried up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/trucking-jobs-seem-have-dried-up-941973/)

Rogo Dec 19th 2021 7:39 pm

Re: Trucking jobs seem to have dried up

Originally Posted by Alex2201 (Post 13082134)
There are plenty of jobs in trucking. A few you might even want to do ;)

I am a Trucker. I have been here for nearly 12 years. Lived in New Brunswick for 8, now in Ontario. As mentioned above the process is a bit different from when I came over but it is still possible depending on what and where you want.

Do you have any specific parts of the industry that you want to work in and what sort of experience do you have?

I’ve hauled mainly Reefer loads but also curtainsiders , Walking Floors , bulk tippers , so how Was New Brunswick I’m guessing lots of Reefer work out of the Maratime states .

Rogo Dec 19th 2021 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 13082152)
That's good news on the license side.. Where is the best place to look for jobs - and which companies are 'decent' and might be willing to train and apply for an LMIA (or might have jobs available)?

It might be difficult to obtain an LMIA for someone who hasn't got the necessary license for trucking already. It's a bit different getting a work permit these days, unfortunately, requiring the potential employer to advertise extensively for weeks and then prove that there are no PR's / Citizens / Open work permit holders who are able or willing to do the job (and pay $1,000 to apply). https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-...n-workers.html - unless they can come in under one of the Provincial programs without the need for an LMIA.. fingers crossed! :fingerscrossed:

Manitoba guidelines for truck driving jobs, might be of use, if the OP has 3 years of prior experience elsewhere - https://immigratemanitoba.com/inform...truck-drivers/

Saskatchewan - https://www.saskatchewan.ca/resident...driver-project

There are probably others :)

my employment history is sketchy even I’ve had a HGV1 for over 20 years I haven’t been in the industry in the past 7 years full time

Rogo Dec 19th 2021 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by OrangeMango (Post 13082386)
Any decent company will help you with this, means what exactly?

Would they employ you as a learner, and pay you for the training? I would doubt that one very much.

As far as I know truck driving is only really interesting in Canada if you're willing to travel long distance, be away for something like 7 or 14 days in a row or something like that? Or am I wrong here?

single man here and living in the truck if I was lucky Enough to get out to Canada would be the Way to go but under the Current restrictions with New variants in the World even taking a Vacation in Canada in 2022 might be out of the Question .

scrubbedexpat133 Dec 19th 2021 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by Rogo (Post 13082423)
I’ve hauled mainly Reefer loads but also curtainsiders , Walking Floors , bulk tippers , so how Was New Brunswick I’m guessing lots of Reefer work out of the Maratime states .

Yes mate, plenty of reefers. I did that for the first 4 years. I am a bit tied up (ooh err mrs:rofl:) for the next few days but I will write you a full and proper response soon.

Rogo Dec 21st 2021 12:42 pm

I’ve Also noticed a lot of videos on you Tube relating to immigration programs in Canada low IELTS no Education no Experience low funds Canada Needs workers now , unfortunately these Aren’t in English but there seems to be many unskilled jobs out there and also jobs in processing plants , Agriculture, feed lots , chicken sheds ETC seems Canada is going the same Way as it’s southern Neighbors as many of these jobs Aren’t Attractive to many people so the need for migrants is great .

Siouxie Dec 21st 2021 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Rogo (Post 13082799)
I’ve Also noticed a lot of videos on you Tube relating to immigration programs in Canada low IELTS no Education no Experience low funds Canada Needs workers now , unfortunately these Aren’t in English but there seems to be many unskilled jobs out there and also jobs in processing plants , Agriculture, feed lots , chicken sheds ETC seems Canada is going the same Way as it’s southern Neighbors as many of these jobs Aren’t Attractive to many people so the need for migrants is great .

Don't believe everything you are seeing on there. Any associated 'immigration consultants' found on youtube are mostly posting clickbait to reel you in to pay them money, some trying to obtain money for 'finding you a job' - which is illegal
There are many jobs that will enable a move to Canada, some as semi skilled - some are low skilled - some are high skilled... most of the low/semi skilled jobs are via Provincial Nomination streams.. which is why I suggested looking at Nova Scotia 'in demand' stream.
:)

Rogo Dec 21st 2021 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 13082833)
Don't believe everything you are seeing on there. Any associated 'immigration consultants' found on youtube are mostly posting clickbait to reel you in to pay them money, some trying to obtain money for 'finding you a job' - which is illegal
There are many jobs that will enable a move to Canada, some as semi skilled - some are low skilled - some are high skilled... most of the low/semi skilled jobs are via Provincial Nomination streams.. which is why I suggested looking at Nova Scotia 'in demand' stream.
:)

thanks I’m Looking at various places in the Maritimes cost of living and Occupations I would be interested in , some of these you Tube clips were from
individuals but primarily focused on there own Ethnic Groups .

Rogo Dec 21st 2021 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 13082414)
If the OP is open to Nova Scotia, this stream might be of use :)
https://novascotiaimmigration.com/mo...ons-in-demand/

so this program you Mentioned should I mention this if I Email some trucking Companies in that Region .

OrangeMango Dec 22nd 2021 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Alex2201 (Post 13082416)
It means that they will take you on, pay you and help you get through the tests. I was lent books to study from. I did a couple of shifts in the work shop being shown how to get through the air brake license.

Feel free to doubt but that’s exactly what happened with me. I was a UK class 1 driver before moving here. You can exchange your car license for a Canadian one but not the commercial element so by definition you are a learner. I was paid min wage for a few weeks to learn the ropes and get ready for the test. I covered the test fees but had use of the company truck to do it. After 6 months of being here they wrote me a cheque to cover the cost of the plane ticket. I had booked a one year return in case it went pear shaped. This was a requirement for NB pop at the time.

Long haul is the most likely route in as that is where the greatest shortage is. Long haul is a loose definition and can mean 3/4 days to multiple weeks out. Again it depends on what you want, the location and the company you are working for. I know drivers that have come over on pnp and not worked long haul however they had some very specific experience that was in demand.

Thanks for the answer. One thing I was always wondering regarding trucking jobs, how much pressure is there in this job, to deliver in time? I mean, Canada's weather can be unpredictable, snow, ice, storms, etc.... and delivering up to the north may mean delays.

Rogo Dec 22nd 2021 8:58 am

Originally Posted by OrangeMango (Post 13082993)
Thanks for the answer. One thing I was always wondering regarding trucking jobs, how much pressure is there in this job, to deliver in time? I mean, Canada's weather can be unpredictable, snow, ice, storms, etc.... and delivering up to the north may mean delays.

I don’t think Canadian winters are as brutal as 10 years Ago Just look how warm it is in the lower 48 states , many states that should of had heavy snowfall by now have September like temperatures.

Rogo Dec 22nd 2021 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Rogo (Post 13082892)
so this program you Mentioned should I mention this if I Email some trucking Companies in that Region .

one of my downfalls , I don’t have a high school diploma which is puzzling why you should need one for unskilled jobs , I have doubts that the rules have been bended for Certain people when it Comes to gaining PR

Revin Kevin Dec 26th 2021 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Rogo (Post 13083015)
one of my downfalls , I don’t have a high school diploma which is puzzling why you should need one for unskilled jobs , I have doubts that the rules have been bended for Certain people when it Comes to gaining PR

I stand to be corrected but I think if you simply finished high school in the UK it would be equivalent to having a "high school diploma"

Rogo Dec 26th 2021 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin (Post 13083863)
I stand to be corrected but I think if you simply finished high school in the UK it would be equivalent to having a "high school diploma"

hi
and I hope your Enjoying Christmas , I wasn’t aware of that as a lot of the programs I looked into
New Brunswick, Novia Scotia ,PEI , all state High school diploma needed is this a Certificate of some sorts ,

Rogo Dec 26th 2021 5:38 pm

So can anyone that’s been Down this Route Explain to Me Unfortunately I left School secondary in the early 90’s without any Exams or GCSE results so I’m a little puzzled as to what a high school diploma is I’m thinking some Type of Certificate.

christmasoompa Dec 26th 2021 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Rogo (Post 13083889)
So can anyone that’s been Down this Route Explain to Me Unfortunately I left School secondary in the early 90’s without any Exams or GCSE results so I’m a little puzzled as to what a high school diploma is I’m thinking some Type of Certificate.

GCSE results would be equivalent to a high school certificate - just something showing you completed secondary school. When you say you left without any results, does that mean you took GCSE’s and just don’t have any paperwork showing that, or you took them but didn’t pass any?