Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

travelling outside of canada with lost work permit

travelling outside of canada with lost work permit

Old Nov 26th 2008, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

supafly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default travelling outside of canada with lost work permit

Hi - I am currently in Canada on a two year working visa, whilst waiting for my permanent residence to go through.

I will be travelling abroad this Christmas but the problem is I lost my passport with my work permit in it recently and have not yet received my replacement.

Does anyone foresee any problems re-entering Canada? I have a scan of my lost work permit, will this suffice?

Thanks
Old Nov 26th 2008, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: travelling outside of canada with lost work permit

oh and btw - i have a replacement passport, just not the WP.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 10:18 pm
bhk
Account Closed

bhk is an unknown quantity at this point

You are not going to be happy with the *official* answer.

No, you cannot travel with a void work permit (scan copy) which has been reported lost & pointed to a void passport number.

I hope that you have filled the correct form and sent it to the right office. FYI, you don't send this application to Vegreville.

Your local CIC center should have your replacement within 2 weeks.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLIsh/inFORMa...s/certcopy.asp

Your concern is no longer a question. Even you apply for one today, you will receive one within 2 weeks.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 10:23 pm
Just Joined

Yes I have sent the replacement forms off to my local office here in Vancouver, however their turnaround on this is apparently 8 weeks. I have no number by which I can contact them to hurry things along.

Upon what do you base your "official reply"?

I phoned the CIC who informed me that although they could not guarantee anything, provided I had a copy of my old WP with the relevant numbers by which the border guard could ascertain my status, there should be no problem.

Obviously this is not as definite an answer as what I would prefer, but given that I have no choice, I'm happy to give it a try!
Old Nov 26th 2008, 10:33 pm
bhk
Account Closed

There's why i quoted *official*, border agency does a lot of things *unofficial* nonetheless they are no guaranteed, so the worst case is having them sent you back on the next plane and apply the WP again overseas and go thru the paperworks from day one.

If you have sent your application for more than 2 weeks, why don't you try to walk right into the regional office and explain the situation? It's much better off than risking your status revoked.

I had a friend with an unexpired study permit and her extension was ongoing [imm5553] within Canada (in Vegreville); she returned to her home country for a short visit and came back with her old but non-expired work permit. They eventually let her in but void her study permit extension with no refund. She went home and found out the work permit was actually in her mailbox, but days later she received another mail informing the new work permit is void because she left the country during the extension. Laugh my ass off on this one!

Originally Posted by supafly
Yes I have sent the replacement forms off to my local office here in Vancouver, however their turnaround on this is apparently 8 weeks. I have no number by which I can contact them to hurry things along.

Upon what do you base your "official reply"?

I phoned the CIC who informed me that although they could not guarantee anything, provided I had a copy of my old WP with the relevant numbers by which the border guard could ascertain my status, there should be no problem.

Obviously this is not as definite an answer as what I would prefer, but given that I have no choice, I'm happy to give it a try!
Old Nov 26th 2008, 11:04 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bhk
You are not going to be happy with the *official* answer.

No, you cannot travel with a void work permit (scan copy) which has been reported lost & pointed to a void passport number.
A work permit is not a travel document.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 3:05 am
bhk
Account Closed

Where did you see me saying a work permit is a travel document Mr. Moderator?

Originally Posted by JAJ
A work permit is not a travel document.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 3:48 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bhk
Where did you see me saying a work permit is a travel document Mr. Moderator?
You said: "No, you cannot travel with a void work permit ... ".
Old Nov 27th 2008, 3:50 am
bhk
Account Closed

Where do you see a work permit is a travel document then? You didn't answer my question.

Originally Posted by JAJ
You said: "No, you cannot travel with a void work permit ... ".
Old Nov 27th 2008, 3:52 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by bhk
Where do you see a work permit is a travel document then? You didn't answer my question.
You made the suggestion with your comment.

If that is not what you meant, then what did you mean? Passport and temporary resident visa (if applicable) are documents used to travel and re-enter Canada.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 3:59 am
bhk
Account Closed

Why would you ever make such assumption that anyone can travel without a passport by air? Do you think we are traveling within the EU or something?

This is Canada. Every one travels with a valid passport by air, Canadians or non-Canadians.

If you are not helping, you are not welcome here. Pick on somebody else, not me.

Originally Posted by JAJ
You made the suggestion with your comment.

If that is not what you meant, then what did you mean? Passport and temporary resident visa (if applicable) are documents used to travel and re-enter Canada.

Last edited by bhk; Nov 27th 2008 at 4:08 am. Reason: Apparently JAJ is not from Canada nor have any experience with Canadian matters. Did he ever been to North America at all?
Old Nov 27th 2008, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

afoks is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bhk
JAJ is correct - as it is clearly stated on all Canadian Work and Study Permits they are not travel documents nor visas. Thus lack of any or having one expired is irrelevant when someone travels. What is needed to enter Canada is a valid passport and valid visa, with the exception of passport holders from countries on visa waiver list (the latter need only valid passport).

If someone needs a visa to enter Canada but doesn't have a valid visa then valid Work or Study permit won't help with admission at all. Such person without valid visa will be refused admission, regardless how long WP or SP may be valid.

By the same token a person with valid passport and valid visa (no visa needed if from visa waiver country) may ask for admission to Canada with expired or non-existing WP or SP - WP's and SP's are not visas, they are only permits allowing holder to work or study in Canada, they have nothing to do with admission to Canada.

Last edited by afoks; Nov 27th 2008 at 6:18 am.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Trolls will always be trolls, no matter what.

Who are you? Someone who started posting here just few weeks ago and mainly to bash Andrew, regardless your phony thanks here. Someone who offends everyone who points out to your obvious error (see your replies to JAJ). Someone, who wouldn't surprize me turning up later as inspiring new CSIC recruit (just like it happened with another critic, NSpaul) and who for some unrealistic reasons believes that posting here will bring a jackpot of clients. Good luck.

In the meantime please stop offending others.

As for Andrew - he voluntarily made it clear in the other thread here that he resigned from CSIC and he presented his reasons. Moderators closed said thread because yourself and some posters like you turned it into something what has no place in this forum.

Please stop making unfounded accusations (just like in red in your post above) or you will meet me in person in court defending yourself in libel lawsuit. It is not a threat, it is not a joke, it is a polite but firm and final warning and request.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bhk

Pony will 4 legs, doesn't mean 4 legs are all ponies.

<You cannot travel with a void work permit which has been reported lost & pointed to a void passport number.>

It does NOT mean you can travel ONLY with a valid work permit. Such remark has never been made.
Your statement above is simply false. Work Permit, valid or not, has nothing to do with asking for admission to Canada and CIC clearly states on each WP that This Does Not Authorize Re-Entry. Work or Study Permit is not a visa nor any other kind of document authorizing entry or re-entry to Canada and having or not having one when traveling and asking for admission is irrelevant - thus stating that one cannot travel with a void work permit and trying to defend such statemsnt by offending others is ridiculously naive, childish and plainly stupid.
Old Nov 27th 2008, 7:15 pm
Jedi

andrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond reputeandrewrb143 has a reputation beyond repute

If you wish to continue your tiresome tirade try a proxy server to prevent a subpeona for your I.P. address.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.