Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Travel Document to re enter canada

Travel Document to re enter canada

Old Dec 2nd 2011, 11:41 am
Just Joined

AnneReinink is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travel Document to re enter canada

Has anyone ever filed in a travel document form before leaving on a trip?

I need to fly out of canada next week and do not yet have a valid PR card (I am not a Canadian citizen but am a Permanent Resident of Canada)

I was wondering if it is possible to obtain a travel document before my trip. This would require me to drive to the USA to get one but I don't want to try it if they will simply tell me that I can't do that.

If anyone has successfully done this could you let me know what you did and how it went?
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 12:36 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel Document to re enter canada

Didnt we do this yesterday already? You dont really need one.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

I know I wouldn't need one if I was coming into canada from the US but I'm coming in from Europe and the airlines are required to ask me for my PR card which I don't have. Therefore I want to get a travel document, but I don't know how to fill in the form.

I want to get the travel document because I am traveling with my young daughter and I don't want any hiccups upon boarding for my return trip.

I'm pretty sure I can get a travel document before I leave but I'm just not sure what I put as my current address outside of Canada.

I need to go to the US to get the travel document but I'm travelling to Europe for my trip. Do I put in the address that I will be staying at in Europe? (It's just that I'm not there "currently")

Or does in not really matter?

Last edited by AnneReinink; Dec 2nd 2011 at 12:41 pm.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 12:58 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

If you are hell bent on getting the TD (That you dont need) Personally I would put the address at which I intend to stay in the Netherlands down, but with a visa waiver passport its really not needed in order to board the Canada bound flight. You could always attach a note to explain the circumstances.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 1:52 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

If you are a citizen of Holland then you do not need a visa to enter Canada so the airline will not ask you for one, or for the TD. At entry to Canada you can present your proof or PR status.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

Travel documents are for PR who are abroad.

They look exactly like your original PR visa. They are put into your passport and are usually good for only one trip.

If you travel to the US you will be outside of Canada, so of course you will be able to apply for travel documents.

Some visa offices allow you to turn up and walk away with your new travel document on the same day others do not. Before your trip, you would have to verify this.

As they are for single use, the danger is that when you reenter canada from the US it may get cancelled at that point which would mean a wasted trip. You would have to explain this when you apply and would need two entries on the document.

Of course you could apply for travel documents once you are in Europe. I believe that your visa office would be Germany.

As you are in Canada at the moment I would call the CIC helpline. If you do his, do not ask them whether or not you need travel documents as they will just give you the official line.

If you are worried about the airline giving you problems why not contact them, explain your situation and see if they forsee any problems. Many people in your situation travel without one and they rarely have any problems. Those who have had problems report a short delay whilst the person.

I am one of the rare members who has applied for travel documents. Even though I knew i did not need one,I could not bring myself to leave this matter to chance on the word of the members of this forum. When i arrived in Canada I was pretty much mocked by the officer at the border for getting one. He told me that I had wasted my money as I did not need one and not to get one again.

At the end of the day the decision is yours and you have to do what you think best.
Old Dec 2nd 2011, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by britsnake
Travel documents are for PR who are abroad.

They look exactly like your original PR visa. They are put into your passport and are usually good for only one trip.

If you travel to the US you will be outside of Canada, so of course you will be able to apply for travel documents.

Some visa offices allow you to turn up and walk away with your new travel document on the same day others do not. Before your trip, you would have to verify this.

As they are for single use, the danger is that when you reenter canada from the US it may get cancelled at that point which would mean a wasted trip. You would have to explain this when you apply and would need two entries on the document.

Of course you could apply for travel documents once you are in Europe. I believe that your visa office would be Germany.

As you are in Canada at the moment I would call the CIC helpline. If you do his, do not ask them whether or not you need travel documents as they will just give you the official line.

If you are worried about the airline giving you problems why not contact them, explain your situation and see if they forsee any problems. Many people in your situation travel without one and they rarely have any problems. Those who have had problems report a short delay whilst the person.

I am one of the rare members who has applied for travel documents. Even though I knew i did not need one,I could not bring myself to leave this matter to chance on the word of the members of this forum. When i arrived in Canada I was pretty much mocked by the officer at the border for getting one. He told me that I had wasted my money as I did not need one and not to get one again.

At the end of the day the decision is yours and you have to do what you think best.
Did you get questioned when you boarded the plane on the return trip?
Will it matter that I am going from France to Canada and not from Holland to Canada as I have a Dutch passport?

Thanks for you response. This info is def. helpful.

Last edited by AnneReinink; Dec 2nd 2011 at 8:34 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2011, 1:20 am
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

I was not questioned on the return trip.

It will not matter that you are flying from France rather than Holland.