Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Old Jan 12th 2017, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

eTA is supposed to be cancelled upon becoming a PR. There's the option of flying back to the US if you don't have a PRC but if you have a US ESTA, and crossing the US land border in a private vehicle. If you have to apply for a PRTD when in the UK you might get delayed or not depending on how long it takes.

Last edited by Snowy560; Jan 12th 2017 at 3:15 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

HighCeiling is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Unfortunately the officer was wrong you will need a valid PR card or PRTD to fly back to Canada. Flying to the UK without one is fine its the flight back to Canada is where you will need one. Current processing times are 58 days for a new card.

Now due to the confusion surrounding eTA check the validity of it by using this link
https://onlineservices-servicesenlig...296.1483282173

If its still valid then you just might be OK to fly back as you have a UK passport and valid eTA but the argument would be you are no longer a visitor and now a PR so you should be presenting a PR card along with the passport when flying into Canada.

Your decision on what to do and you just might get the PR card before you leave.
That's what I thought (border agents disagreed though) and the LVO confirmed it this morning. My ETA is still valid but I don't think I will take the chance.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't chance it. Get yourself informed and research the options. It will be very stressful if you are denied boarding.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

tweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond reputetweed_wearer has a reputation beyond repute

Can you not apply for a paper record of landing?
Old Jan 12th 2017, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

HighCeiling is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tweed_wearer
COPR (paper record of landing) isn't valid for travel by commercial carrier.
Old Jan 12th 2017, 9:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tweed_wearer
You'll get one stapled into your passport. It will get you back over the land border (in a private vehicle) but it won't be sufficient to get you on the plane.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 12:20 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
You'll get one stapled into your passport. It will get you back over the land border (in a private vehicle) but it won't be sufficient to get you on the plane.
+1

And don't forget to keep your COPR in a safe place, you'll need it in the future! (Pension, Citizenship etc)
Old Jan 13th 2017, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Siouxie
+1

And don't forget to keep your COPR in a safe place, you'll need it in the future! (Pension, Citizenship etc)
+1

Yes. One of the first things you should do after landing is to make a PDF copy. If you get your passport renewed, remove the COPR before you send the passport in for renewal.

Last edited by Snowy560; Jan 13th 2017 at 12:26 am.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 7:07 am
Just Joined

canada12345 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys - COPR received in the post 5 Jan 2017, processed 28 Dec 2016 - phew. I've been given only until early March to Land for some reason, so now making plans. I am going to Land early March, spend two weeks seeing in-laws etc. and then come back to London to continue the job hunt.

Things I have to work out are;

- can I fly to Toronto Pearson just on my COPR. I am not eligible for an eTA despite being from the UK.

- I recently had a son, and he is not listed as a dependant on my COPR. He'll be be coming with me on my trip in March. He is by definition a Canadian citizen as his Mum is Canadian, so is not eligible for an eTA either. I have read that he might need what's called a facilitation visa whilst his application for his Certificate of Canadian Citizenship is outstanding.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Many thanks
Old Jan 13th 2017, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canada12345
can I fly to Toronto Pearson just on my COPR. I am not eligible for an eTA despite being from the UK.
You say 'being from the UK' so you are a British citizen right? If so, then of course you can (and should) get an ETA and that would be by far the best thing to do, or you could have huge hassle with the airline getting on the plane (if they even let you). Just apply on-line for an ETA and pay the very modest fee. You can't have an ETA once you have activated your PR, which you won't do until you actually land at Toronto - perhaps that is where you are getting confused?

The CoPR and ETA position is summarised on the wiki page here:

Spousal Sponsorship-Canada/FAQ : British Expat Wiki

I recently had a son, and he is not listed as a dependant on my COPR. He'll be be coming with me on my trip in March. He is by definition a Canadian citizen as his Mum is Canadian, so is not eligible for an eTA either. I have read that he might need what's called a facilitation visa whilst his application for his Certificate of Canadian Citizenship is outstanding.
Almost certainly best to apply for citizenship (unless you have already done so) for your son now then when that is through apply for a Canadian passport I would have thought but I'll definitely defer to others on this one I think - Schnooks??

PS - we don't seem to have your details on the spousal sponsorship spreadsheet (see the link below in my signature line), is this something you would like to give us the information for to help others?
Old Jan 13th 2017, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

- can I fly to Toronto Pearson just on my COPR. I am not eligible for an eTA despite being from the UK.
Probably not, the airline is unlikely to let you board. Why are you ineligible? Even if there are previous problems (eg I see on the spreadsheet you went through rehab), if you're clear enough to get PR, you should also qualify for the eTA.

- I recently had a son, and he is not listed as a dependant on my COPR. He'll be be coming with me on my trip in March. He is by definition a Canadian citizen as his Mum is Canadian, so is not eligible for an eTA either. I have read that he might need what's called a facilitation visa whilst his application for his Certificate of Canadian Citizenship is outstanding.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Many thanks
Facilitation visa reading at places like Temporary resident: Facilitation visas and Guide CIT 0014 - Application for Canadian Citizenship for a Person Adopted by a Canadian Citizen - Part 2 - Adopteeā€™s Application and Operational Bulletins 154 – September 1, 2009 although some of them talk about being deprecated. You should probably call the High Commission to see if this is an option, and if so how you would go about it (one of the sites explicitly says there is no form to fill in). Note that the most recent of those dates from 2014, after which Harper's Govt changed many rules, so may or may not still be a thing. Your child is not by definition a Canadian by virtue of being born to a Canadian, because as things stand, you can only pass Canadian citizenship one generation through out of country births (so if a Canadian born in Toronto has a child in Buffalo NY, that child is a Canadian, but for their children to be Canadian they would need to be born in Canada - a child born in Glasgow to a Canadian who was themselves born in New York is not a Canadian by birth). So he might be a Canadian by birth, but you will need to demonstrate that, you can't just say his mother's Canadian. Easiest way for him to travel by far is to get a Canadian passport if he's entitled to one, although if that can't be done in 2 months you'll need to look at options. So call the Commission. Today.

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick

PS - we don't seem to have your details on the spousal sponsorship spreadsheet (see the link below in my signature line), is this something you would like to give us the information for to help others?
They're in the 2015 tab after a long app
Old Jan 13th 2017, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
They're in the 2015 tab after a long app
DOH! Got it now. Spreadsheet updated.
Old Jan 13th 2017, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

letsgo2016 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Well, on our 1st year anniversary of a process that has for no reason taken a long time we were asked for new photos, which I was excited about from what i've seen on the blog. And tonight I thought I would take a look at my account, and there it was 'application has been approved'! I can' t believe it! No idea why it took so long, but now that we have it I don't care, just excited!
Thanks for all the advice on this site, it will continue to be a great help as we get closer to moving day!
Old Jan 13th 2017, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats!
Old Jan 13th 2017, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by letsgo2016
Well, on our 1st year anniversary of a process that has for no reason taken a long time we were asked for new photos, which I was excited about from what i've seen on the blog. And tonight I thought I would take a look at my account, and there it was 'application has been approved'! I can' t believe it! No idea why it took so long, but now that we have it I don't care, just excited!
Thanks for all the advice on this site, it will continue to be a great help as we get closer to moving day!
Congratulations indeed - quite a wait! Spreadsheet updated

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.