Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Old May 18th 2016, 1:45 am
BE addict

Princesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London & Inland

Originally Posted by Gommsta
COPR arrived in the post today! I have until 2nd of September to land.

That went waaaay quicker than I thought. Thanks to you all for your help and advice.

I now need to start reading up on the landing process. Work commitments mean it'll be in on one flight and out the next day I think!

Spreadsheet updated, congratulations!
Old May 18th 2016, 7:20 am
Just Joined

TC8474 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Could you please add me to the spreadsheet? We're based in Mellor Brook in Lancashire. I'm a Canadian citizen sponsoring my British partner.

Application received in Mississauga: 8th March 2016
Common law/married: CML
Sponsor approval: awaited
Processing office: awaited
"In process" on ecas: awaited

Quite frustrating to see that some sponsorship applications are being dealt with in under a month and that after 2 and half months we're still waiting.

I sent them a web request for an update yesterday.

Thanks.

T
Old May 18th 2016, 2:16 pm
BE addict

Princesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond reputePrincesstigger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TC8474
Hi,

Could you please add me to the spreadsheet? We're based in Mellor Brook in Lancashire. I'm a Canadian citizen sponsoring my British partner.

Application received in Mississauga: 8th March 2016
Common law/married: CML
Sponsor approval: awaited
Processing office: awaited
"In process" on ecas: awaited

Quite frustrating to see that some sponsorship applications are being dealt with in under a month and that after 2 and half months we're still waiting.

I sent them a web request for an update yesterday.

Thanks.

T
All added to the Spreadsheet.
Old May 18th 2016, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

Shoshannah has a reputation beyond reputeShoshannah has a reputation beyond reputeShoshannah has a reputation beyond reputeShoshannah has a reputation beyond reputeShoshannah has a reputation beyond reputeShoshannah has a reputation beyond reputeShoshannah has a reputation beyond reputeShoshannah has a reputation beyond reputeShoshannah has a reputation beyond reputeShoshannah has a reputation beyond reputeShoshannah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Okay so this is annoying, but not too bad.

You don't need to provide one for Canada.

If you were in the UK for 6 months or more from the time you sent your application to CIC, then you'll need to get one for the UK. The good news is that those certificates come quickly and I think you can request them rushed as well (not certain, going on memory!). Apply for that stat, as soon as you get it send it to CIC by registered post so you can track it, and email them back to say that the certificate has gone in the mail and should arrive on x date and you've sent it tracked to make sure.

If you were not in the UK for 6 months, though, then just respond and say that you leapplied in June 2014, you left the UK in x 2014 so were only there for x months, and have since lived in Canada (no certificate required for Canada).
Well, it turned out that I do need a police certificate for Canada. I just got an email from the CIC thanking me for my police certificate from the UK (which I managed to provide within the 30 day time limit they gave me), but also telling me to confirm that I've been living in Canada and if I have been, to provide them with a Canadian police certificate. I already have an appointment with the local police to have my fingerprints taken. And here I was, thinking that there was nothing else they could possibly want from me...
sigh
Old May 18th 2016, 4:44 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shoshannah
Well, it turned out that I do need a police certificate for Canada. I just got an email from the CIC thanking me for my police certificate from the UK (which I managed to provide within the 30 day time limit they gave me), but also telling me to confirm that I've been living in Canada and if I have been, to provide them with a Canadian police certificate. I already have an appointment with the local police to have my fingerprints taken. And here I was, thinking that there was nothing else they could possibly want from me...
sigh
Hang on, did they request an rcmp one? If you needed to have fingerprints done then it does make sense as means your personal details match someone with a Canadian criminal record so they need your prints to confirm it's not you. It's an uncommon request not unheard of.
Old May 18th 2016, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

LHaywood1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Having a slight meltdown here

I just looked at my CoPR and noticed the martial status says Single when I applied via the common law route.

Can anyone confirm if it should say common law or is it correct?

Thanks
Old May 18th 2016, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Shoshannah has a reputation beyond reputeShoshannah has a reputation beyond reputeShoshannah has a reputation beyond reputeShoshannah has a reputation beyond reputeShoshannah has a reputation beyond reputeShoshannah has a reputation beyond reputeShoshannah has a reputation beyond reputeShoshannah has a reputation beyond reputeShoshannah has a reputation beyond reputeShoshannah has a reputation beyond reputeShoshannah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Hang on, did they request an rcmp one? If you needed to have fingerprints done then it does make sense as means your personal details match someone with a Canadian criminal record so they need your prints to confirm it's not you. It's an uncommon request not unheard of.
That's the one - RCMP police check. I should have done it straight away, but you live and learn, eh? Thankfully it should only take 3 days.
I seriously doubt that possible match with someone else in their criminal record. In their email they delicately chided me for not providing a canadian police certificate to begin with, because they asked for certificates from all countries I've lived in since applying (in 2014) and Canada should, logically, be included. And my name is so unusual, I seriously doubt that there is someone in Canada with one just like it.
But who knows. They don't have to explain themselves after all.

Last edited by Shoshannah; May 18th 2016 at 7:57 pm.
Old May 18th 2016, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, people who have lived in Canada for some time are sometimes asked during PR application processing for an RCMP check based on finger prints.

You'll get there. Keep us updated.

S
Old May 18th 2016, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LHaywood1
Having a slight meltdown here

I just looked at my CoPR and noticed the martial status says Single when I applied via the common law route.

Can anyone confirm if it should say common law or is it correct?

Thanks
I don't think it will be a problem. Your sponsor's details will also be on the COPR (are they?). Point it out to the officer when you land. I know a married person that happened to recently (yes, it actually said "single"!) and they were fine!

S
Old May 18th 2016, 9:06 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

That's the one - RCMP police check. I should have done it straight away, but you live and learn, eh? Thankfully it should only take 3 days.
I seriously doubt that possible match with someone else in their criminal record. In their email they delicately chided me for not providing a canadian police certificate to begin with, because they asked for certificates from all countries I've lived in since applying (in 2014) and Canada should, logically, be included. And my name is so unusual, I seriously doubt that there is someone in Canada with one just like it.
100% you do not need to provide a Canadian police check up front. Completely, certainly, you do not need to provide a Canadian police check up front. HOWEVER, as Snowy said, occasionally CIC will request an RCMP check which involves having your fingerprints taken. This is usually because there has been some issue confirming your identity though their internal checking service, whether it's you sharing a name or something else, who knows. They do occasionally request it, though, and it's different than a normal police check. The RCMP check is specific and requires fingerprints, a normal police check, which CIC carries out themselves, does not.

Anyway, get it sent off, and you'll be sorted. Chin up!
Old May 18th 2016, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes, you do not need to provide it upfront when you first submit (but as Schnook says it can be later requested and is sometimes but not always).

S
Old May 18th 2016, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

LHaywood1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Snowy560
I don't think it will be a problem. Your sponsor's details will also be on the COPR (are they?). Point it out to the officer when you land. I know a married person that happened to recently (yes, it actually said "single"!) and they were fine!

S
Thank you!
Old May 18th 2016, 10:38 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

If this is so, you may want to direct them to this page, where it says

How to get a police certificate - Canada

Do I need to provide a Police Certificate with my Application for Permanent Residence?

No
and
The Canadian visa office will tell you if you need a Canadian criminal record check while your application is being processed.
Generally speaking, they only request this if (as has been previously mentioned) you have a name in common with someone who has a criminal background. Unfortunately, whilst many think their names are unusal or uncommon, there's always a chance that someone else has that name or has used (or assumed) that name for nefarious deeds.

Good to hear that RCMP are able to offer a 3 day turnaround! Whilst it may have caused a short delay, hopefully it will be sorted quickly.

Old May 19th 2016, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
If this is so, you may want to direct them to this page, where it says

How to get a police certificate - Canada

Do I need to provide a Police Certificate with my Application for Permanent Residence?

No
and
The Canadian visa office will tell you if you need a Canadian criminal record check while your application is being processed.
Generally speaking, they only request this if (as has been previously mentioned) you have a name in common with someone who has a criminal background. Unfortunately, whilst many think their names are unusal or uncommon, there's always a chance that someone else has that name or has used (or assumed) that name for nefarious deeds.

Good to hear that RCMP are able to offer a 3 day turnaround! Whilst it may have caused a short delay, hopefully it will be sorted quickly.

Thanks for that. I would have sent this link to them yesterday, but I've already organised the RCMP for next week and the CIC gave me another 30 days to provide them with the results. Given your comment and your quote from their own website, I suspect that the person I'm dealing with doesn't know what they're doing. Because at first what they said was: "Please provide update police certificates for every country in which
you have lived for 6 months or longer since the time of your application (June 2014)"

When I didn't provide one for Canada, they said I should have done so and then specified that it should be a RCMP check. Doesn't this seem a little weird? Why didn't they specify it when they sent me that first letter asking for police certificates? I would love to point this out to them, but it will take them a month to reply and I might just be stirring up some trouble for myself.

Anyway, thank you all for your help. I'll keep you posted.

Old May 19th 2016, 3:39 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that. I would have sent this link to them yesterday, but I've already organised the RCMP for next week and the CIC gave me another 30 days to provide them with the results. Given your comment and your quote from their own website, I suspect that the person I'm dealing with doesn't know what they're doing. Because at first what they said was: "Please provide update police certificates for every country in which
you have lived for 6 months or longer since the time of your application (June 2014)"

When I didn't provide one for Canada, they said I should have done so and then specified that it should be a RCMP check. Doesn't this seem a little weird? Why didn't they specify it when they sent me that first letter asking for police certificates? I would love to point this out to them, but it will take them a month to reply and I might just be stirring up some trouble for myself.

Anyway, thank you all for your help. I'll keep you posted.

You are most welcome

The first one you received was the bog standard letter/email asking for updated police certificates - you could have been living anywhere ('oh - he applied in 2014? Better get an updated police check' -hits autocomplete letter button-). That's completely normal and to be expected if there's been a while between applying and final processing.

The second was specific for Canada as then they checked where you were living. However, I do suspect that the 2nd letter may have been in error but we will never know, lol.

The best thing to do with CIC is comply, then tell them what you think after you have your PR (unless there are massive delays, of course) - as you so rightly say, to make a fuss at this point will likely only delay your processing. It sounds like you are nearly there anyway...

it all goes smoothly from here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.