Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Old Mar 24th 2016, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

williamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London & Inland

Another thing is that the medical is only valid for 12 months, so yet another expense.

As applications are processed in the order they are received in London, why are some dealt with in a matter of a few months whilst others go for many months with no contact whatsoever ? If an application is going to take longer than usual, I would expect some communication or request for further information required to be made to "process" the case. To leave a person hanging in limbo, not knowing what the problem may be, seems to lack common courtesy. Surely after over seven months it is not too much to ask !
Old Mar 25th 2016, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

Jelly_baby is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jelly_baby
Hi - I am just going through the Outland Visa Application process and wanted to share with you the details of our timeline so it can be entered in the spreadsheet ( which has been very very useful to us!) Thank you for creating and maintaining the spreadsheet!"
Visa Application received- 6 Nov 2015
Medical done- 10 Oct 2015

Residence of my spouse being sponsored- York, England
My- Sponsor residence- Kitchener, Canada

Married

Sponsor Approval received- 14 Jan 2016
Office- Ottawa
Status change to "In Process" on eCAS- 20 Jan 2016
Status change to "Decision made" on eCAS- 15 Mar 2016

Waiting for COPR in mail.

Happy to answer any questions!
I received my COPR in mail yesterday- 24 March!

My passport expires on 8th Aug, that's the last date on letter for me to enter Canada. Given my passport is expiring I wanted to renew it, but the PR is attached to the particular passport. Would that be a problem?
Old Mar 25th 2016, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

marileechang is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,

Hopefully someone will be able to help me with this!

My boyfriend and I are looking into applying as common-law partners - I'm Canadian from Montreal and he's British. We have lots of documentation that we've lived at the same address for the first 2 years, but when my visa expired for the UK, I had to come back to Canada, and for monetary reasons, my boyfriend had to stay in the UK. We have proof that he came to visit me here and that I went back to visit him in the UK as well, we have pictures and texts and plane tickets etc.

I realize that it is very risky to apply since we have been apart, but we really didn't have any other choice.. Now he's been accepted for a Masters at a Montreal university and will be coming over to Canada for his studies, and we can of course prove that with letters from the university. I noticed in the FAQ that the CIC can be more lenient if we can prove we were together during the 'qualifying period' which is the first 12 months, and we could indeed prove this. We even have a new lease starting this summer in Montreal with both our names on it, proving we will be living together again.

Do you think it's near impossible for us to get approved since we've had to be apart? I'm really worried about going through the whole application process and being refused, and definitely wouldn't want that to affect our chances in the future if this application isn't successful.

Any guidance would be hugely appreciated!!
Old Mar 25th 2016, 8:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

My passport expires on 8th Aug, that's the last date on letter for me to enter Canada. Given my passport is expiring I wanted to renew it, but the PR is attached to the particular passport. Would that be a problem?
No but you would still have to land by 8 August.
Old Mar 25th 2016, 10:45 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marileechang
Hi guys,

My boyfriend and I are looking into applying as common-law partners - I'm Canadian from Montreal and he's British. We have lots of documentation that we've lived at the same address for the first 2 years, but when my visa expired for the UK, I had to come back to Canada, and for monetary reasons, my boyfriend had to stay in the UK. We have proof that he came to visit me here and that I went back to visit him in the UK as well, we have pictures and texts and plane tickets etc.

I realize that it is very risky to apply since we have been apart, but we really didn't have any other choice.. Now he's been accepted for a Masters at a Montreal university and will be coming over to Canada for his studies, and we can of course prove that with letters from the university. I noticed in the FAQ that the CIC can be more lenient if we can prove we were together during the 'qualifying period' which is the first 12 months, and we could indeed prove this. We even have a new lease starting this summer in Montreal with both our names on it, proving we will be living together again.

Do you think it's near impossible for us to get approved since we've had to be apart? I'm really worried about going through the whole application process and being refused, and definitely wouldn't want that to affect our chances in the future if this application isn't successful.

Hello and welcome to BE!

Whilst technically you are still 'common-law' according to the regulations, unless the physical separation has been very short (i.e. a few weeks) I personally would not recommend applying under the common-law spousal route at this time. We have had members who have been apart for as little as 3-4 weeks and had their application refused.

As your partner is already on his way to do his Masters, I think it would be far better to 'start the clock' when he arrives and wait a year before applying, that way you are pretty much guaranteed to get approval.

Others may think differently - but that is what I would do.

Old Mar 26th 2016, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

bananabread is an unknown quantity at this point

Finally! COPR for my husband and our daughter arrived on Thursday!! It's been a long road for us so thank you for the support, advice and camaraderie along the way! Canada here we come!!
Old Mar 28th 2016, 5:38 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Odd_Bloke
My application is now "In Process" on ECAS! \o/

As FL said, just land by 8 Aug and you are fine even with a renewed passport.

Spreadsheet updated!

Originally Posted by marileechang
Hi guys,

Ugh. You could go either way on it, honestly. It's iffy, CIC might be ok with it, but since it sounds like it was long-ish, you might run into trouble. Or you might be ok.

If you were desperate for him to get PR then it might be worth trying, but since he's been given a study permit which gives him residence in Canada for at least a year, then I say just live together 12 months again and apply after that just to be safe. It would suck to have your application rejected and returned when you could have just waited the 12 months and not really changed anything.

Originally Posted by bananabread
Finally! COPR for my husband and our daughter arrived on Thursday!! It's been a long road for us so thank you for the support, advice and camaraderie along the way! Canada here we come!!
Yay! Congrats! Happy landing - be sure to read the wiki article on Landing as well!
Old Mar 29th 2016, 1:03 pm
Mon Dieu!

Kingbsy has a brilliant futureKingbsy has a brilliant futureKingbsy has a brilliant futureKingbsy has a brilliant futureKingbsy has a brilliant futureKingbsy has a brilliant future

Would be good to hear from anyone who applied in October or earlier and got their application sent to London, are you still waiting have you received any form of communication from CIC? Ive tried emailing them.... just getting silence. The wait just seems to go against all of the data leading to Sept 2015 and all the data after Oct 2015!?!

Also has anyone had problems or major delays with Ecas, my wife has been approved at a Federal level and at Quebec level months ago and still registering "In Process"
Old Mar 29th 2016, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

Bexleybuttler is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kingbsy
Would be good to hear from anyone who applied in October or earlier and got their application sent to London, are you still waiting have you received any form of communication from CIC? Ive tried emailing them.... just getting silence. The wait just seems to go against all of the data leading to Sept 2015 and all the data after Oct 2015!?!

Also has anyone had problems or major delays with Ecas, my wife has been approved at a Federal level and at Quebec level months ago and still registering "In Process"

Kingsby,
We applied on the 7th October my partner gained SA in early December and then our application was sent to London from then on we have not herd a single thing. Our application is a straight forward one we are married live together etc etc and it is only me on the application... ... Oh and on Ecas both parts of the application simply state "in process".

I guess we are still very much in the relms of a Normal application period but it is clearly very annoying that apps sent to Ottawa after Us Are now being approved... I bet the delay is that London are now processing all the express entry visas as a priority before doing the Family sponsored visas!!!!

Last edited by Bexleybuttler; Mar 29th 2016 at 2:37 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

CReg91 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bexleybuttler
Kingsby,
We applied on the 7th October my partner gained SA in early December and then our application was sent to London from then on we have not herd a single thing. Our application is a straight forward one we are married live together etc etc and it is only me on the application... ... Oh and on Ecas both parts of the application simply state "in process".

I guess we are still very much in the relms of a Normal application period but it is clearly very annoying that apps sent to Ottawa after Us Are now being approved... I bet the delay is that London are now processing all the express entry visas as a priority before doing the Family sponsored visas!!!!
I'm in exactly the same boat as Bexleybuttler except not married. I really hope they don't take too long. I'm hoping for an approval before August latest!

If only someone on the inside could tell us what's going on.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 6:19 pm
Mon Dieu!

Kingbsy has a brilliant futureKingbsy has a brilliant futureKingbsy has a brilliant futureKingbsy has a brilliant futureKingbsy has a brilliant futureKingbsy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bexleybuttler
Kingsby,

Im as straightforward as your app, just myself, clean bill of health, spotless record etc I was prepared to wait, but nothing close to 17 months! I know that it is unlikely it will go that distance but seeing those lucky lot get sent to ottawa... you cant help but get a little disconcerted. Really hoping for something to materialize in the next couple of months, would like to be over there for June by then it would have been over 8 months waiting. I thought the express entry was being put on the back burner for a bit, or maybe this is just something I imagined?!
Old Mar 29th 2016, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

EE is plodding along as usual, no official or unofficial "back-burnering". As is the spousal application route.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 6:48 pm
Mon Dieu!

Originally Posted by Shirtback
EE is plodding along as usual, no official or unofficial "back-burnering". As is the spousal application route.
Shirtback as someone who resides in QC (or at least thats what it says in your tag) how long did they take after the CSQ approval to get back to you?
Old Mar 29th 2016, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kingbsy
Shirtback as someone who resides in QC (or at least thats what it says in your tag) how long did they take after the CSQ approval to get back to you?
Who? CIC? About what?

Yes I reside in Qc, but I didn't come here via spousal sponsorship . I monitor/volunteer in various places regarding Qc immigration. There's not much rhyme or reason to timing for spousal applications via Qc : in the last few months I've seen times from CSQ approval to COPR issuance of 2, 4, 7< months.... I don't keep a database, sorry.

In general, VERY general, once CIC has your CSQ, you'd be on the same timeline as others, sometimes (inexplicably), a bit faster.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

Bexleybuttler is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CReg91
I'm in exactly the same boat as Bexleybuttler except not married. I really hope they don't take too long. I'm hoping for an approval before August latest!

If only someone on the inside could tell us what's going on.
CReg91 are you on the spread sheet could not see you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.