Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Old Jul 20th 2015, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

bananabread is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London & Inland

Finally!!
If you are still looking for data for the spreadsheet, here's ours:
-Applied for Spouse and Child via London (where we live)
-Application received May 14
-Approved as sponsor on July 20
-Application being processed in London

Not sure we fit your typical case however; my husband and I (and our kids) live in UK together but my husband being sponsored is Kenyan while the daughter being sponsored is British.
Old Jul 23rd 2015, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Decisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andie8
Hello All!

We'll, we're here! We arrived Thursday 16/07. Some info if it helps anyone with our a Dual Intent landing experience:

I booked one way tickets back in March - flying with Canadian Affair (Air Transat). Two days before we flew I booked a one way return on Air Transat's Canadian site for my yet-to-receive-PR husband. I booked the most expensive ticket type for the end of August (Air Transat only flies to Halifax until the end of August) with the intention of cancelling the ticket and suffering the $100 penalty. The one way return was to get us out of LGW without any issues in case they balked at letting my husband board on a one way ticket.

At check in no one asked anything about his one way ticket although I suspect that this was because everyone was preoccupied with dealing with our additional suitcase charge and our cat!

The experience of travelling on AT with a cat was great. They were great. The minute the queue management guy saw that we had a pet crate he came up the ramp to meet us and fast tracked us through the club class check in. At any given time we had about 3 people attending to us. I was so relieved.

On arrival we were sent to the special immigration counter. I explained that I was 99.99% sure that PR had been granted but that we had run out of time to have the paperwork issued by London (CIC Ottawa asked us to submit passport copies/photos to London) and that I had emailed Ottawa for further instruction and was awaiting their reply.

The immigration officer checked her system and told us she could see that PR had been granted. Yay!

Her main concerns were:

1. She could only give my husband 6 months.

I told her I was pretty confident we'd have COPR within 6 weeks and I wasn't too worried.

2. After we receive COPR my husband still needs to "land".

I explained that I believe we can make an appointment at the CIC office in Halifax to "land" once we have COPR. It's no so convenient to flagpole from NS.....

At Customs we dealt with the goods to follow matters which was pretty painless as we had a copy of the shipping inventory prepared by our shipping company. I was expecting to pay a $30 fee to clear the cat through and even mentioned it but they just waved us through in respect of the cat. They didn't even look at the rabies certificate!

So, all in all, pretty painless. We're here!

And, in case you're wondering, the cat is recovering from his ordeal quite well!
thanks for this. we are heading to Toronto next Wednesday without a PR. Just wondering if its normal to be asked about the 'landing' bit after COPR? I understand this is what has to happen, but just assumed the officer would be aware of this. We will probably cross over to the US at Niagra Falls to do this.
Old Jul 27th 2015, 1:06 pm
TRC
Forum Regular

TRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond repute

Still at application recieved as of August 7th 2014! I land in Canada in 3 weeks. Looks like I'll be doing dual intent!
Old Jul 27th 2015, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

Chakn is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Finally an update - not too exciting but a sign of progress at least...

Recieved an email from CIC on the 3rd of July:

"In order for us to continue the processing of your application, we require the following documents:

- Additional evidence of your sponsors intention to re-establish in Canada. This may include but is not limited to: job offer in Canada, property rental agreement, employment contract in Canada, property deed, mortgage on property, evidence of job searches or home searches in Canada, assets transfer to a Canadian bank account.

- Indicate your current mailing address."

We've just had a fun couple of weeks scrambling this all together to post!
Old Jul 27th 2015, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

beardynev is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all,

I have a pending outland PR application under spousal sponsorship being reviewed at Ottawa, sponsor approval was granted at the end of May this year. Just wanted to see if anybody had been in a similar position to me - I'm on my second IEC which is valid until October 3, 2015 and am currently working in BC. Looks like there's a chance I'll get my PR before my IEC expires, but I'm preparing for a delay during which I'm unable to work. I'm certain my employer will grant me an extended unpaid leave until I get my PR - what I want to know is, what are the implications and requirements for flagpoling to re-enter as a visitor? I have savings to support myself for a few months, and if necessary will obtain written confirmation from my employer stating suspension of employment pending my new visa.

All help and comments welcome,
John.
Old Jul 27th 2015, 10:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beardynev
Hello all,

I have a pending outland PR application under spousal sponsorship being reviewed at Ottawa, sponsor approval was granted at the end of May this year. Just wanted to see if anybody had been in a similar position to me - I'm on my second IEC which is valid until October 3, 2015 and am currently working in BC. Looks like there's a chance I'll get my PR before my IEC expires, but I'm preparing for a delay during which I'm unable to work. I'm certain my employer will grant me an extended unpaid leave until I get my PR - what I want to know is, what are the implications and requirements for flagpoling to re-enter as a visitor? I have savings to support myself for a few months, and if necessary will obtain written confirmation from my employer stating suspension of employment pending my new visa.

All help and comments welcome,
John.
Providing you can show CBSA that you have a spousal application submitted then you should be OK to enter as a visitor. The more info you provide them the easier it is. Simply drive down to the border and either enter the US as a visitor or ask for the administrative refusal and then cross back into Canada and ask to see Immigration. Take as much documentation as you can.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

Andie8 is a jewel in the roughAndie8 is a jewel in the roughAndie8 is a jewel in the roughAndie8 is a jewel in the roughAndie8 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Decisive moment
thanks for this. we are heading to Toronto next Wednesday without a PR. Just wondering if its normal to be asked about the 'landing' bit after COPR? I understand this is what has to happen, but just assumed the officer would be aware of this. We will probably cross over to the US at Niagra Falls to do this.
Sorry, just saw this!

I too thought it was a bit strange that I knew he could 'land' at a CIC office and the IO didn't confirm this. Maybe I read it wrong though...

That said, I suspect NS immigration officials see far fewer Dual Intent arrivals that Toronto.

Good luck on Wednesday!
Old Jul 28th 2015, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

harris is an unknown quantity at this point

Does it mean that a UK citizen can enter Canada under " Dual Intent " with just a UK passport and stay for a certain length of time until PR comes through ?
Old Jul 28th 2015, 1:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by harris
Does it mean that a UK citizen can enter Canada under " Dual Intent " with just a UK passport and stay for a certain length of time until PR comes through ?
Yes provided you can satisfy CBSA that you are married or common law to a Canadian citizen or PR and even better if you can show an spousal application has been submitted. Normally visitors are given up to 6 months with just a stamp in their passport. Those wishing to stay longer are given a visitor record meaning they can't work or study. Circumstances and proof of intention will dictate how long you may get.
Old Jul 28th 2015, 1:57 pm
TRC
Forum Regular

TRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond reputeTRC has a reputation beyond repute

If I am going to be working for a UK company under dual intent should I bring a letter from my employer?
Old Jul 28th 2015, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by TRC
If I am going to be working for a UK company under dual intent should I bring a letter from my employer?
Yes I would as it alleviates any suspicion that you might work in Canada for a Canadian company if not authorized to do so.
Old Jul 29th 2015, 6:58 am
BE Enthusiast

andrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond reputeandrewbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chakn
Hi,

Finally an update - not too exciting but a sign of progress at least...

Recieved an email from CIC on the 3rd of July:

"In order for us to continue the processing of your application, we require the following documents:

- Additional evidence of your sponsors intention to re-establish in Canada. This may include but is not limited to: job offer in Canada, property rental agreement, employment contract in Canada, property deed, mortgage on property, evidence of job searches or home searches in Canada, assets transfer to a Canadian bank account.

- Indicate your current mailing address."

We've just had a fun couple of weeks scrambling this all together to post!
Spreadsheet updated.
Old Jul 30th 2015, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

Decisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond repute

We have arrived in Canada!!

Absolutely no issues at immigration. We all went through the visitor gate together, my husband and two sons with Canadian passports and me with my British passport. My husband explained that he was a returning Canadian and that my PR application hadn't been completed yet so I was entering under dual intent.

The immigration officer just said 'ok, no problem' stamped my passport with a six month visa and wrote down the number to call to extend it should I need to.

That was it! No paperwork asked for. I couldn't believe it. We were so relieved.

We then headed to customs where we declared our shipment was to follow (all in my husbands name), got the paperwork stamped and off we went.

We are in Canada - Whoohooo!!
Old Jul 30th 2015, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

pauc is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats Decisive! My experience was similar, it's a pretty good feeling when you finally arrive after so much planning.

I have a small update for the sheet. I have an email from CIC Ottawa today saying my application is in progress and asking for proof that my sponsor resides in Canada.

I'm getting some payslips and utility bills and work related things together.

Do I email CIC these documents back or do I submit an enquiry with them attached?
Old Jul 31st 2015, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

dillisodhi is a jewel in the roughdillisodhi is a jewel in the roughdillisodhi is a jewel in the roughdillisodhi is a jewel in the rough

Hi all - I received an email fro CIC Ottawa this morning asking me to provide some evidence that me and my sponsor intend to move to Canada.

I think I've got a good idea of what to send having been through the helpful advice that has been provided to others on this forum and I will also obtain a letter from my mother in law saying we will move in with her and that she has asked tenants in a large house she was renting out to leave as she wants the space to accommodate us.

Seems that the wheels are moving again!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.