Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London

Old Jul 14th 2015, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Decisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond reputeDecisive moment has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London & Inland

Originally Posted by AncasterBrit
Remember to take care with your tax affairs. If you begin living in Canada full-time, you might be considered a Canadian resident for tax purposes and might therefore be liable for income tax on your world income [subject to relevant tax treaties of course].
Thanks. I'm aware this may be an issue. Hoping we won't be facing double taxation!
Old Jul 15th 2015, 4:09 am
A taffy in Ontario

snuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant futuresnuggs has a brilliant future

Just to give people a time line... I finally received my PR card in the mail... took 3 months

Now I can road trip the states!!
Old Jul 15th 2015, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

jamesalee01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Andie8.... One way tickets.... Risky risky.....
My wife and kids came over on one tickets and no one battered an eyelid. But we did have all our info printed out. maybe depends on the CBSA officer?
Old Jul 15th 2015, 1:58 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamesalee01
My wife and kids came over on one tickets and no one battered an eyelid. But we did have all our info printed out. maybe depends on the CBSA officer?
The issue is not with the CBSA officer, the issue is with the airline. They often will refuse boarding to those flying on one-way tickets who do not have valid visas to enter their destination country on the other end. If the airline doesn't think you'll be let in, they can deny you boarding beacuse if you are denied entry then you are returned to your origin on the airline's dime. This is why it is HIGHLY not recommended for any non-Canadians coming to Canada on dual intent to have a one-way ticket.

When my husband actually moved, he booked a one-way ticket. He had his PR by this point. When he went to check in, he obviously used his British passport, and then the agent asked him for his proof of status in Canada. He had his PR card, so that was fine to allow him to board, but he likely would have been denied if he was not already a PR.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

The airline did ask us about a Visa I showed them all the paperwork and they said no problem, that was with airtransat in June this year. I am not saying that it wasn't without any risk but we had loads of suitcases and a dog so it was obvious we were staying in Canada.
Old Jul 15th 2015, 6:23 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamesalee01
The airline did ask us about a Visa I showed them all the paperwork and they said no problem, that was with airtransat in June this year. I am not saying that it wasn't without any risk but we had loads of suitcases and a dog so it was obvious we were staying in Canada.
Honestly, you got lucky. I would absolutely NOT recommend anyone else book a one-way ticket without proof of being allowed into Canada on the other end. Yes it's unlikely you'll be rejected but it's still a huge risk - and then what, if the airline denies you boarding? It's happened before and it will happen to others who risk it. My advice every single time is going ot be to book a return ticket - even if it's a flexible, refundable ticket, book that return ticket.

(The fact that you were travelling with loads of suitcases and a dog actually would owrk against you as it shows you are not entering as a visitor, you are entering with the intention of staying - and therein lies CBSA's main concern.)
Old Jul 15th 2015, 11:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Honestly, you got lucky. I would absolutely NOT recommend anyone else book a one-way ticket without proof of being allowed into Canada on the other end. Yes it's unlikely you'll be rejected but it's still a huge risk - and then what, if the airline denies you boarding? It's happened before and it will happen to others who risk it. My advice every single time is going ot be to book a return ticket - even if it's a flexible, refundable ticket, book that return ticket.

(The fact that you were travelling with loads of suitcases and a dog actually would owrk against you as it shows you are not entering as a visitor, you are entering with the intention of staying - and therein lies CBSA's main concern.)
I did say it was obvious that we we staying with suitcases and a dog.
Old Jul 16th 2015, 5:54 am
Just Joined

UpTipp is an unknown quantity at this point

Wondering if anyone has experience with their common-law partner not being officially divorced when applying? My fiancee had to wait five years before he could apply to be divorced in Ireland and we're waiting for that to go through the courts. So at the time of application he has been separated 5+ years but technically still married.
Old Jul 16th 2015, 7:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UpTipp
Wondering if anyone has experience with their common-law partner not being officially divorced when applying? My fiancee had to wait five years before he could apply to be divorced in Ireland and we're waiting for that to go through the courts. So at the time of application he has been separated 5+ years but technically still married.
It's not a problem as long as he can show that he is legally separated. From the CIC Op Manual, which tells you the kind of proof they're looking for -

Cohabitation with a common-law partner must have started after a physical separation from the spouse. Evidence of separation from the spouse may include
- a separation agreement;
- a signed formal declaration that the marriage has ended and that the person has entered into a common-law relationship;
- a court order regarding custody of children; and
documents removing the legally married spouse(s) from insurance policies or wills as beneficiaries.

HTH.
Old Jul 16th 2015, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

UpTipp is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking re: Timeline For Spousal Sponsorship via London & Inland

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It's not a problem as long as he can show that he is legally separated. From the CIC Op Manual, which tells you the kind of proof they're looking for -

Cohabitation with a common-law partner must have started after a physical separation from the spouse. Evidence of separation from the spouse may include
- a separation agreement;
- a signed formal declaration that the marriage has ended and that the person has entered into a common-law relationship;
- a court order regarding custody of children; and
documents removing the legally married spouse(s) from insurance policies or wills as beneficiaries.

HTH.
Thank you! We do have a signed letter from legal aid that the divorce is in process so hopefully that will suffice!
Old Jul 17th 2015, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

williamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond repute

I have booked my medical next week. Will the doctor give me some piece of paper to send with my application or will he give me a reference number to quote somewhere .
I assume I don't have to wait weeks for the results of the X-ray and bloodtests to come back.
Anyone know what happens after the medical ?
Old Jul 17th 2015, 10:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by williamceri
I have booked my medical next week. Will the doctor give me some piece of paper to send with my application or will he give me a reference number to quote somewhere .
I assume I don't have to wait weeks for the results of the X-ray and bloodtests to come back.
Anyone know what happens after the medical ?

The panel physician will do a complete medical exam and may refer you for chest x-rays and laboratory tests. Once your exam has been completed, the physician will send the results to CIC.

The panel physician does not make the final decision about your medical exam. CIC makes that decision. If there is a problem with your medical exam, the visa office will contact you in writing.

When you go to your appointment, you must bring:

proper identification (you will need at least one document with your photograph and signature, such as a passport, driver’s licence or national identity card)
eye glasses or contact lenses, if you wear them
any medical reports or test results that you have regarding previous or existing medical conditions, and
the Medical Report form (IMM 1017E), if you do not undergo an up-front medical exam. The visa office will send you this form.
You may have to bring:

Four recent photographs. You will need to bring these only if the doctor you select from the list of panel physicians does not work with CIC via the eMedical electronic system. Please check with the doctor’s office when you book your appointment.
Note: It is important that you tell the doctor about any previous or existing medical conditions. Processing your medical exam could take longer if you do not.
Medical exam for permanent residents
Old Jul 17th 2015, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

williamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond reputewilliamceri has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks a lot.
From your reply I assume I send off my application and in due course it receives the doctor's report and the two are put together by CIC.
Anyone anything else to add from their experience ?
By the way the doctor's fee is £350.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 1:14 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by williamceri
Thanks a lot.
From your reply I assume I send off my application and in due course it receives the doctor's report and the two are put together by CIC.
Anyone anything else to add from their experience ?
By the way the doctor's fee is £350.
Include a photocopy of the receipt you get showing you paid the fees - you have to provide some sort of proof with your application that you had the medical done, even if it's just a receipt showing a £350 payment for the medical.

Then yes, CIC will put it together with your application once they receive both portions.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

By the way the fees are now $ 1100. for spousal applications.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.