Temporary Work Permit Renewal

Old Oct 6th 2008, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

Ernie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant futureErnie_wise has a brilliant future
Default Temporary Work Permit Renewal

I wonder if anybody can give me some advice on my work permit renewal.

I've been working in Canada for a year now and applied to extend my temporary work permit back in July. I thought everything was good with my application but found out on Friday that it had been denied because I didn't get a new LMO. I thought it'd be sufficient to use my last years LMO.

Anyhow, my last work permit actually expired at the end of August and yes it has taken immigration that long to let me know of the status. I haven't even received written confirmation from them yet, but over the phone I was told that I'd have 60 days to re apply.

So I have some questions.

1. I've been told that I should stop working until I resubmit my application and receive my new permit. Is there any legal ramifications if I volunteer (i.e. work for free), as I have a tonne of work to do?

2. Once I get my new LMO would it be quicker to go down to Buffalo to get my new TWP? Toronto is taking some three months to process applications and I hear in Buffalo it's two days?

3. If I did go to buffalo it'd mean a new permit rather a renewal. Is there any difference?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Alex