Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Temp work permit or PR? Quick question

Temp work permit or PR? Quick question

Old May 31st 2011, 1:36 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Temp work permit or PR? Quick question

I was under the impression that Permanent Residency takes a LONG time to be approved, hence why we were thinking of getting a TWP and applying for PR once we got there.

Have I mis-understood the process?

Our move is based on my wife being transferred to another branch of her company in Burlington. On further investigation it looks like no LMO would be required.

If we were looking at moving around Sept/october, would we be as well to just start the PR application now?

(I tried the Forum search, but there's millions of topics on this, but none quite specific enough)

Thanks people.
Old May 31st 2011, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

MRC23 is just really niceMRC23 is just really niceMRC23 is just really niceMRC23 is just really niceMRC23 is just really niceMRC23 is just really niceMRC23 is just really niceMRC23 is just really nice
Default Re: Temp work permit or PR? Quick question

I also have the impression that with a TWP, applying for permanent resident status is much easier. There is the Canadian Experience Class, which allows you to apply for PR once you have two years of work experience in Canada (providing you meet all other requirements, of course)...

Although there are also other options you could look into once you've landed in Canada - I'm sure others can shed further light on this one.
Old May 31st 2011, 3:51 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MRC23
I also have the impression that with a TWP, applying for permanent resident status is much easier. There is the Canadian Experience Class, which allows you to apply for PR once you have two years of work experience in Canada (providing you meet all other requirements, of course)...

Although there are also other options you could look into once you've landed in Canada - I'm sure others can shed further light on this one.
Thanks for that link, that could be exactly what we need!

For some reason I had in my head that "Canadian Experience Class" was some sort of Adventure holiday and had no relevance
Old May 31st 2011, 3:58 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Someone who has been transferred can immediately apply under Arranged Employment Federal Skilled Worker (FSW2) with no LMO or AEO. All that is required is a permanent job offer from the employer. They qualify under 82(2)(b) of the regulations as their intra-company work permit is issued under Regulation 205(a).

N.B. This can only be applied for once your partner has started work in Canada on the work permit though.

Last edited by BTJ; May 31st 2011 at 4:01 pm.
Old May 31st 2011, 4:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Question is, would you be eligible to apply for PR now without a job offer? If not, it's a moot point.

If you are, then definitely apply for it asap, you can always go over on an intra-company transfer as well before you get PR if you want to be in Canada sooner, but of course the usual caveats with any TWP apply i.e. not as much security etc.

And for an intra-company transfer, this Wiki article may be useful..........http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Intra-...ransfer-Canada

HTH.