Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

REsoration of status - paper application?

REsoration of status - paper application?

Old Apr 19th 2011, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

BrennaBoo is on a distinguished road
Default REsoration of status - paper application?

Hello my favourite british expats....

Just a quick question regarding the resoration of status....

My husband's first application to restore his status was denied(as some of you may remember)We wanted to apply for a restoration of his status through a paper form - as the application is much more clear. HOWEVER i was reading on the CIC website - under the self assesment tool - when lookng at ways to extend his status ... and maybe someone can bring some clarity to this... It said

You can also apply by paper by completing the Application to Change Conditions, Extend My Stay or Remain in Canada. NOTE: When you send your application, it must have a postmark date earlier than the expiry date of your status.

Does this mean we cannot apply for his restoration through a paper application - as his expiry of his status happened in late february???

Anyways - as always thank you to everyone for being such moral support on these message boards.

-luv b.
Old Apr 19th 2011, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: REsoration of status - paper application?

[QUOTE=BrennaBoo;9315134]
My husband's first application to restore his status was denied(as some of you may remember)We wanted to apply for a restoration of his status through a paper form - as the application is much more clear. HOWEVER i was reading on the CIC website - under the self assesment tool - when lookng at ways to extend his status ... and maybe someone can bring some clarity to this... It said</quote>

OK - i meant to say my husbands first application to "extend" his stay as a visitor.
Old Apr 20th 2011, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Anyone have any thoughts on this??

His extension was denied, (due to us forgetting the silly stamp page) So we want to proceed with the "resoration" by mail.
I think I might be just confusing myself.

My theory is that it would not be possible to even apply for a restoration in the mail then if it needed to be postmarked prior to the date of his status ending....

Does it just mean we need to be date the application for when it expired...

HMMMM
Old Apr 20th 2011, 5:07 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Originally Posted by BrennaBoo
Anyone have any thoughts on this??

His extension was denied, (due to us forgetting the silly stamp page) So we want to proceed with the "resoration" by mail.
I think I might be just confusing myself.

My theory is that it would not be possible to even apply for a restoration in the mail then if it needed to be postmarked prior to the date of his status ending....

Does it just mean we need to be date the application for when it expired...

HMMMM
To apply for restoration, the status must have been expired less than 90 days
Old Apr 20th 2011, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

To apply for restoration, the status must have been expired less than 90 days
Yes - we are still within 90 days...but on the CIC website - it says that any paper application must be postmarked before the expiry of the visa...thats what I am confused about.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Lloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really niceLloydies is just really nice

Hi there ... I helped a friend by completing the paperwork. His permit had expired by a couple of months, but just within the 90 days. He sent it registered, just to make sure it got there, and although it took a while, he got his work permit.

Yes - we are still within 90 days...but on the CIC website - it says that any paper application must be postmarked before the expiry of the visa...thats what I am confused about.
Old May 11th 2011, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Well - we sent the application off - then realized the process times on the paper application are actually AFTER the date we have requested an extension until. So...i guess my hubby will have to leave and we won't have the option to apply for a second extension??? As they won't have responded regarding his extension??? We are in the process of applying for outland sponsorship so we don't want to muck up that application.
Old May 30th 2011, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

Anyone have any thoughts on this - what we might be able to do? By the time they process his resoration - it will be past the time we have asked for his restoration to be valid for.

GAH! I wish we had remembered the stupid stamp in the first place on the preliminary extension. what a nightmare.
Old May 30th 2011, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

ek84 is an unknown quantity at this point

I could be wrong - but I think the postmark prior to expiry of status part, is referring to extension of status rather than restoration. I just had to extend status and for that you have to send it off before your old visa expires. If you don't get that in in time, then you have to restore status and you have 90 days to do that.
Old May 31st 2011, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

admissiblebrit will become famous soon enough

Restoration of status can be tricky when a visitors extension is denied, especially if there is no supporting application like PR. Just a word of advice make sure you can clearly refute the reasons the extension application was denied or you will have the restoration denied also, they will look at the previous decision.

Edit:: Just read your posts in another thread, if you have an outland application in, what was the reason for the refusal? And if you're applying outland in London there's a good chance you'll receive PPR before the restoration app has been processed. If its within 90 days apply for the restoration, you're in compliance with immigration laws so it wont mess with your application. Outside of 90days i would say its best he visits home and waits for the PPR, which wont be very long at all going through CHC London is usually a fast process.

Also get the restoration app registered for deliver, if the stamp on that registered delivery is before the 90 day cut off you'll be fine

Last edited by admissiblebrit; May 31st 2011 at 4:14 pm.
Old May 31st 2011, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by admissiblebrit
Restoration of status can be tricky when a visitors extension is denied, especially if there is no supporting application like PR. Just a word of advice make sure you can clearly refute the reasons the extension application was denied or you will have the restoration denied also, they will look at the previous decision.
Well, thats a very good point - in the restoration of status application we provided - all airline tickets of when he came to the country, along with the photocopy of the stamp in his passport(which is the original reason it was denied) THEN while applying for the restoration we also provided proof of our application for spousal sponsorship outland, our marriage certificate, paystubs and everything else!...we overloaded them with info on therestoration since they denied us for lack of info on the extension.

Our extension denial was recieved about 2 weeks after we had sent the application for outland spousal in the mail....so, hopefully the restoration goes through, its a bit nerve racking. in fact, terrifying. Don't want to mess this up, but my hubby has nothing to go back to at the moment in the UK, he won't be starting back up to work until September, so we just want to spend our "honeymoon year" together.
Old May 31st 2011, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

Well - we delivered it with Fedex and it was before 90 days....is that considered registered delivery??(AH, so freaking now)