Teaching time count for FST Visa?

Old Feb 14th 2019, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

TomScott50 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching time count for FST Visa?

Hi everyone, new member here

I've just started the research to apply for a federal skilled trade visa, and have the first question of probably many! I'm a qualified agricultural engineer and have spent most of my life in or around the industry, but I decided I'd like to have a go at teaching apprentice agricultural engineers about 3 or so years ago, so for the last 3 years I've been teaching. I've read that I need to get a FST visa, I need to employed in a Class B NOC, which I am, 7312 - Heavy Duty Mechanics, but it says that I need to have been in the industry for at least 2 out of the previous 5 years, which if they count teaching is no problem, but if they don't then by the time I get to apply, I'll have been teaching for 3/4 years and only in industry for 1 1/2 at most.

Also, I've applied to challenge my red seal Ag Engineer exam in BC, my hoped for destination. I'm hoping that they will count my teaching hours as experience too!

Hopefully someone can help? Does any know how strict they are on the teaching rule?

Thanks,

Tom
Old Feb 15th 2019, 2:28 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching time count for FST Visa?

Hello and welcome to BE!

FSW (Trades) is not a Visa - it's a route to permanent residency (PR status) ..

Agriculture Engineer in Canada is very different to what you have described as an HGV Mechanic.. https://www.eco.ca/career-profiles/a...ture-engineer/
Engineer is a protected title in Canada, I believe your title may be Heavy Duty Vehicle Mechanic (Agriculture equipment Technician) if you want to apply under FSW (Trades) - NOC 7312

The Red Seal Endorsement is an endorsement ON the Provincial Certificate of Qualification - which is what is required for many trades (including 7312) . If you are hoping to apply under Express Entry, FSW (Trades) then you'll need your Certificate of Qualification OR a valid job offer - a job offer is often only needed to increase your points to get you an invite from the Express Entry pool if you are on the low side..

The first step is to ascertain if you would have sufficient points to receive an invite under FSW (Trades) - or if you will need a job offer.. Trades points requirements are much lower than other routes. Have you used the CRS calculator yet? Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) tool: skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

The requirements are quite specific for work experience for FSW Trades.. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/skilled-trades.html#skilled I'm not convinced that your teaching position would count for FSW Trades application purposes but hopefully christmasoompa or snowy will be along to give you advice on this. Otherwise, if you have qualifications in teaching, perhaps you could look at FSW generally for Express Entry, although the points requirement to obtain an invitation would be much higher.

Best of luck and do continue to ask questions - we'll help if we can!

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 15th 2019 at 2:34 am.
Old Feb 15th 2019, 7:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

If you've been teaching, then I can't see how you would meet the requirements under the Heavy Duty Mechanics NOC code tbh. You won't have been doing those duties are part of your daily job presumably, and there would be another NOC code that would be better suited to your job, such as this one - NOC 2011 - 4216 - Other instructors - Unit group

Sorry, I know that's probably not what you wanted to hear as now you'll need more points to qualify for FSW, but you can't claim a NOC code if there is a better one that fits.

What are you scoring on the CRS?
Old Feb 18th 2019, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Hello and welcome to BE!

FSW (Trades) is not a Visa - it's a route to permanent residency (PR status) ..

Agriculture Engineer in Canada is very different to what you have described as an HGV Mechanic..
Engineer is a protected title in Canada, I believe your title may be Heavy Duty Vehicle Mechanic (Agriculture equipment Technician) if you want to apply under FSW (Trades) -

The Red Seal Endorsement is an endorsement ON the Provincial Certificate of Qualification - which is what is required for many trades (including 7312) . If you are hoping to apply under Express Entry, FSW (Trades) then you'll need your Certificate of Qualification OR a valid job offer - a job offer is often only needed to increase your points to get you an invite from the Express Entry pool if you are on the low side..

The first step is to ascertain if you would have sufficient points to receive an invite under FSW (Trades) - or if you will need a job offer.. Trades points requirements are much lower than other routes. Have you used the CRS calculator yet?

The requirements are quite specific for work experience for FSW Trades.. I'm not convinced that your teaching position would count for FSW Trades application purposes but hopefully christmasoompa or snowy will be along to give you advice on this. Otherwise, if you have qualifications in teaching, perhaps you could look at FSW generally for Express Entry, although the points requirement to obtain an invitation would be much higher.

Best of luck and do continue to ask questions - we'll help if we can!
Hi Siouxie, yes your correct, my Canadian job title is Heavy Duty Vehicle Mechanic (Agriculture equipment Technician), but the title on my UK qualification is Agricultural Machinery Service Engineer and us Ag Technician/Mechanics normally colloquially get called Agricultural Engineers, but I see how that can misleading as Engineer is a special/protected title, sorry I've read the 7312 description and it does accurately reflect the my qualification and job role.

I've yet to hear back from the BC ITA about wiriting the red seal exam for Agricultural Equipment Technician, if they OK my teaching then it will be a big help.

I do tend to agree with you, I suspect they won't count my teaching hours/experience for the FSW (T) application but i can always go back to being a mechanic in England if I need to so I can get my experience back up. See below for my CRS score.

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
If you've been teaching, then I can't see how you would meet the requirements under the Heavy Duty Mechanics NOC code tbh. You won't have been doing those duties are part of your daily job presumably, and there would be another NOC code that would be better suited to your job, such as this one - NOC 2011 - 4216 - Other instructors - Unit group

Sorry, I know that's probably not what you wanted to hear as now you'll need more points to qualify for FSW, but you can't claim a NOC code if there is a better one that fits.

What are you scoring on the CRS?
Hi christmasoompa, what you say makes sense actually, as i would fall under another NOC code, therefore not eligible for mechanics code. I had a little look through and think that i probably fall under NOC 2011 - 4021 College and other vocational instructors though, as it mentions trade schools and vocational instructors. We call my job role an Advanced Technical Trainer but the roles and responsibilities match 4021.

My CRS scores are below, let me know what you think, are they a bit low for an FSW application? I've put my sample IELTS test score results in, I've booked the proper one for a couple of weeks time. I've also not selected a job offer or certificate of qualification.
Core/Human capital factors
Age = 72
Level of education = 98
Study in Canada = undefined
Official Languages = 136
First Official Language = 136
Second Official Language = 0
Canadian work experience = 0
Subtotal - Core/Human capital factors = 306
Spouse factors
Level of education = 0
First Official Languages = 0
Canadian work experience = 0
Subtotal - Spouse factors = 0
Skill transferability factors
Education
A) Official Language proficiency and education = 25
B) Canadian work experience and education = 0
Subtotal = 25
Foreign work experience
A) Official Language proficiency and foreign work experience = 50
B) Canadian and foreign work experience = 0
Subtotal = 50

Certificate of qualification = 0

Subtotal Skill transferability factors = 75
Comprehensive Ranking System formula
Subtotal Core/Human capital + Spouse factors + Skill transferability = 381

Provincial nomination = 0

Job offer = 0

Study in Canada = 0

Sibling in Canada = 0

French-language skills = 0

Subtotal Additional points = 0

Grand total = 381

Thanks for your help both
Old Feb 19th 2019, 6:16 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry but yes they’re far too low for a FSW application - lowest it’s ever gone to was 412 and that was a one off a couple of years ago. It’s been approx 438 or above for ages now.

As you probably know, the points threashold for FST apps is much lower so you’d be fine for that. Any chance of giving up teaching and going back to being a HGV mechanic yourself so that you’d qualify as FST? If not, then you’ll need to look at other visa routes i.e. job offer/PNP.

Good luck.
Old Feb 19th 2019, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Sorry but yes they’re far too low for a FSW application - lowest it’s ever gone to was 412 and that was a one off a couple of years ago. It’s been approx 438 or above for ages now.

As you probably know, the points threashold for FST apps is much lower so you’d be fine for that. Any chance of giving up teaching and going back to being a HGV mechanic yourself so that you’d qualify as FST? If not, then you’ll need to look at other visa routes i.e. job offer/PNP.

Good luck.
Damn, I thought as much to be fair. Hence why I was looking at the FST route. Yep, that's definitely a clear option - go back to industry for a couple of years then try for the FST route. There's also the mines in North West/East BC - there are quite a few jobs advertised for Heavy Equipment Mechanics there, I've heard of a few of people who went that route, even had relocation expenses paid too...

Thanks for your help, I'll keep rolling on and if I find any other questions I'll come back

Tom
Old Feb 19th 2019, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TomScott50
There's also the mines in North West/East BC - there are quite a few jobs advertised for Heavy Equipment Mechanics there, I've heard of a few of people who went that route, even had relocation expenses paid too...
North-East BC is considered a development region in need of immigrants, and BC offers some provincial sponsorship programs specifically for that region, might be worth looking into that as well.
https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-t...d-Semi-Skilled
For the Northeast Development Region of B.C., you may apply in any National Occupational Classification occupation (skill level C or D).
Old Feb 19th 2019, 10:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
North-East BC is considered a development region in need of immigrants, and BC offers some provincial sponsorship programs specifically for that region, might be worth looking into that as well.
That's great thanks for showing me that Jimmy i'm off to do some reading
Old Feb 20th 2019, 1:28 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-t...d-Semi-Skilled
Good thinking! Only thing is as I understand it, you need to have been working in BC (NE development region) - as well as having a permanent job offer - in order to qualify for the stream for PR.
To qualify for this category, you must:
  • have accepted a full-time, indeterminate job offer (a permanent job, or one with no set end date) from a B.C. employer .... For the Northeast Development Region of B.C., you may apply in any National Occupational Classification occupation (skill level C or D).
  • have been working full-time for your employer for a minimum of nine consecutive months before applying
But if you could find an employer willing to make an LMIA application and enable you to get a TWP it could be another route - however, it's risky in as much as the temporary work permit will be tied to the employer and if the job ends before you get PR, so will your application... only you can decide if it's worth the risk, or whether to just work for a year or 2 in the UK and then apply under FSW (Trades).
Decisions, decisions!

Northeast contains 2 regional districts with a total of 8 municipalities and 9 First Nations.