Tax & landing questions

Old Nov 23rd 2004, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

ABL25 will become famous soon enoughABL25 will become famous soon enough
Default Tax & landing questions

Hi all,
Note sure if I need to ask the immigration board these questions, but thought I'd ask the informed people on this board first, as some of you may have jumped through the same hoops yourself.

a while to go before we get to Canada (hopefully July '05), but thought I'd start to get the ball rolling regarding tying all the loose ends etc.. I have a couple of questions about tax, study visas and landing which I have tried to answer myself. Please read through my assumptions and question and correct me if I'm wrong.

My wife will be studying in Canada, so I'll apply for an open work permit.
Assumption:- Once in Canada, we both apply for a SIN number.
Assumption:- Once I find myself a job, I'll be paying tax in Canada.
Assumption:-As a non resident, I we can't get an interest bearing Canadian bank account, so I'll have to leave savings in UK account, and not pay tax on the interest (as a non UK resident). But I will need to decalare this interest to the Canadian tax office (as I won't be paying tax in the UK).

We have also applied for PR and hope that the study visa will last long enough for the PR to come through, so we'll already be in Canada.
Question:- On a student visa, we can/can't import our belongings tax free. If we can, does that mean that we can/can't do it when we "land" as Permanent Residents.

Your answers may/will make us decide whether to sell most of our belongings in the UK and buy in Canada or import them to Canada. We want to be squeaky clean and not upset the customs/immigration or tax people. Wouldn't do to throw a curve ball into our PR application.

Many Thanks
Alex
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

ABL25 will become famous soon enoughABL25 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Tax & landing questions

Hi again,
There is no need to reply to the second part of the post (re the importing of goods with a study visa), I've just found the answer on an older post.

Thanks
Alex

Originally Posted by ABL25
Hi all,
Note sure if I need to ask the immigration board these questions, but thought I'd ask the informed people on this board first, as some of you may have jumped through the same hoops yourself.

Many Thanks
Alex