Substituted Evaluation

Old Apr 29th 2008, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

mandyr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Substituted Evaluation

Hi there,

Can anyone tell me what the chances are of someone gaining PR status using substituted evaluation?

I am currently learning French and will soon be able to take the TEF test. However, this will only take me up to 65 points. The only other way to gain more points would be for either me or my husband to go back to university for a year or two, or get a job over there. My husband has been applying for jobs (he's a call centre manager for a telecommunications company), but despite a few companies showing interest in his resume, each one has said that they would require him to already be in Canada. I take this to mean that they are unwilling to go through the LMO process and all the paperwork involved. We are looking to move to either Alberta or BC and these provinces appear to have thousands of jobs he would fit easily into. I'm currently pregnant and we have a two-year old, so it is impossible for me to either apply for jobs myself, or go back into full-time education. Hence my query about substituted evaluation.

I read on another expat forum that certain factors are considered assets when applying this way:

You are native English speakers
You speak some French too
You have ample settlement funds
You have good job prospects
You have relatives and friends in Canada
You've visited Canada often
You are only two points short of 67

We actually qualify in all these points, but how likely is it that these factors will indeed help us gain PR status?

I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Mandy
Old Apr 29th 2008, 1:39 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Substituted Evaluation

Sorry, but not a chance.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

Suspected that would be the case.

Thanks for your response.

Mandy
Old Apr 29th 2008, 2:15 pm
mclauchlan35

mclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of light

On the CIC website doesn't it say that if you are short in points but you feel that they are other factors that that would help you become established (or something along those lines )then you can still apply with a covering letter?

Not contradicting Andrew he is the expert, I just though I had seen that written
Old Apr 29th 2008, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

It does say that, which is why I looked into it in the first place, but with the backlog they have in processing applications, I really didn't think it was likely they'd accept someone with fewer points than the pass mark.

I am tempted to give it a go anyway, but I could be waiting 3-5 years just for a rejection letter. Besides, it is likely that the minimum pass mark will go up soon anyway.

Thanks,

Mandy
Old Apr 29th 2008, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandyr
Hi there,

Can anyone tell me what the chances are of someone gaining PR status using substituted evaluation?

I am currently learning French and will soon be able to take the TEF test. However, this will only take me up to 65 points. The only other way to gain more points would be for either me or my husband to go back to university for a year or two, or get a job over there. My husband has been applying for jobs (he's a call centre manager for a telecommunications company), but despite a few companies showing interest in his resume, each one has said that they would require him to already be in Canada. I take this to mean that they are unwilling to go through the LMO process and all the paperwork involved. We are looking to move to either Alberta or BC and these provinces appear to have thousands of jobs he would fit easily into. I'm currently pregnant and we have a two-year old, so it is impossible for me to either apply for jobs myself, or go back into full-time education. Hence my query about substituted evaluation.

I read on another expat forum that certain factors are considered assets when applying this way:

You are native English speakers
You speak some French too
You have ample settlement funds
You have good job prospects
You have relatives and friends in Canada
You've visited Canada often
You are only two points short of 67

We actually qualify in all these points, but how likely is it that these factors will indeed help us gain PR status?

I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Mandy
Have a read in the Wiki about job hunting (if you haven't already) and see if that helps with getting a work permit. If you can get a job, it will bump your points up and also expedite the SW process, so it is worth the effort, as I expect you realise.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 5:57 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you really want to apply, wait 4-5yrs only to be told no?

Keep pounding away at that job offer - it's the only way. Be proactive, go to employer with LMO forms completed and a simple outline of the process, timelines and exactly what they would need to do. Chances are they're already advertised the job, so it's just some form filling etc.

Good luck
Old Apr 29th 2008, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I really do believe that getting a job is the only way. I'll do as you have suggested.........fingers crossed.

Thanks,

Mandy