Study Permit/Open work Permit

Old Apr 26th 2015, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

atitchuk1983 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Study Permit/Open work Permit

Hi

I am wondering if anyone can help. Me and my partner have meet with a Canadian immigration consultant they have said that my partner will need to apply via a study visa which will then give me an open work permit until she has completed her course where we would then get an extension of up to 3 years and once either of us have one year of skilled work we can apply for permanent residency all of this is fine but we now want to look at doing the paperwork ourselves rather than paying the consultants but when im going onto the Canadian immigration website im getting quite confused. Also does anyone no the cost of the study permit and the open work permit for myself.

Please help

Thank you
Old Apr 26th 2015, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Study Permit/Open work Permit

Have you checked out the wiki above and also the CIC website where all fees are posted?
Old Apr 26th 2015, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

A study permit is $150. The spousal open work permit is $155 plus $100 processing fee.
You will have to apply outside of Canada for the study permit and be eligible as per this link
Determine your eligibility – Study in Canada

As for extensions it will depend on how long your study course is for e.g. 12 months or 4 years. Most workers can only work for 4 years if they have not submitted an application for PR status.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

chrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by atitchuk1983
Hi

I am wondering if anyone can help. Me and my partner have meet with a Canadian immigration consultant they have said that my partner will need to apply via a study visa which will then give me an open work permit until she has completed her course where we would then get an extension of up to 3 years and once either of us have one year of skilled work we can apply for permanent residency all of this is fine but we now want to look at doing the paperwork ourselves rather than paying the consultants but when im going onto the Canadian immigration website im getting quite confused. Also does anyone no the cost of the study permit and the open work permit for myself.

Please help

Thank you
Don't worry! - This is all very simple, and certainly doesn't need a consultant.

Apply for the study permit as per the guidance on the Wiki or CIC site; presuming you are a UK citizen then you can simply apply for your Spousal Open Work Permit at POE - pay your $155 and the SOWP will be valid for the same initial duration as your common-law / wife's study permit.

Once you are in Canada and working, if you are working in an A,B or 0 NOC then dependant on your Skills / experience you may be eligible to submit a PR application via either PNP or EE, and if this is accepted you can then both get open work permits until the PR is finalized via PNP, or alternatively after the EE is awarded.

i.e through the "old" PNP nomination for PR, once you have the PNP nomination you can change your SPOW to a OWP via the letter of support; and whilst you are awaiting the federal PR issuance, both of you can be granted open work permits (your partner would then swap to the sponsored party on your OWP, with your OWP now being the primary)

Alternatively if you have applied via EE as a FSW or Skilled trade then your partner will simply be added as the spouse on your PR application, as you would now be the primary aplicant under the Skilled EE stream
Old Apr 29th 2015, 5:46 am
23_
Just Joined

23_ is an unknown quantity at this point

My spouse and I are currently in Canada on IEC visas but want to apply for PR via FSW program. My question is... Is it possible to apply for an open work permit/bridging visa whilst our FSW application is processing?

IEC expires end of Aug and would ideally like to keep working. Jobs at the moment are not 'skilled' though.

Thanks
Old Apr 29th 2015, 5:49 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by 23_
My spouse and I are currently in Canada on IEC visas but want to apply for PR via FSW program. My question is... Is it possible to apply for an open work permit/bridging visa whilst our FSW application is processing?

IEC expires end of Aug and would ideally like to keep working. Jobs at the moment are not 'skilled' though.

Thanks
1. No, not until you have received an ITA submitted your application, and received a Positive Eligibility Review. (PER)