Study Option...

Old Feb 11th 2010, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

The Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Study Option...

Originally Posted by el_richo
It would seem that gaining PR from this route has a high probability (based on reading posts here) but there is a chance that you will not.

It's all down to your risk threshold. Spending what looks to be in excess of ~$25k in tuition fees, on top of that having the ability to show the same again to prove your financial status, and spending all the other assorted expenses that go with emigrating and starting a-fresh, has the potential to be costly if you're not successful.

If you're willing to accept the potential losses then that's great, i say enjoy it and embrace the adventure.

If not, then just be careful.

All my opinion and have not been down this route so couldn't be 100% certain of how much shit i'm talking

Yes, I reckon your right thinking about it, it's a lot of $$$ with no guarantee alright, we can live pretty spartan if required, but if you still need in the region of $20k per annum then it's a big risk, even if ya have the money.

Hopefully someone will see this thread and point towards some cheaper but applicabel courses, at least that would take a bit of the risk out of things!
Old Feb 11th 2010, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

The Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I don't think you can ever really be 'certain' of that, particularly as the rules can change at any time.
True mate, keep me posted though if you find any cheap courses, at least that will lessen the blow if PR was not available after the two years!
Old Feb 11th 2010, 1:35 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

No worries, will do.

I mentioned this to the OH last night anyway and I think if we went via that route then she would likely be the one studying as opposed to me.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

No worries, will do.

I mentioned this to the OH last night anyway and I think if we went via that route then she would likely be the one studying as opposed to me.
Yeah, it will be my gf that will study also, I'm done with skool myself!

If I find anything cheaper, course wise I'll bump this thread for you, stick it in here, same from your end if ya do not mind!
Old Feb 11th 2010, 2:28 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah definitely.

Well in our case she is a medical student where as I'm in IT so it could be better for her to have Canadian qualifications in what she does over there as opposed to foreign ones anyway where as IT skills/qualifications are pretty much universal wherever you go.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah definitely.

Well in our case she is a medical student where as I'm in IT so it could be better for her to have Canadian qualifications in what she does over there as opposed to foreign ones anyway where as IT skills/qualifications are pretty much universal wherever you go.
Well, for us I have 2 x degrees, business related (so crap essentially! ) Marketing, Communications, that kind of thing. GF has a degree in Hospitality but has never used it, she has been a driving instructor basically since leaving Uni, so she wants to do a course in photography or bakery, nothing too major but something that if we have to use the course for the two years & stay in the course until it's finished & until PR then she can maybe get a job in it over there from those qualifications.

But again, if we could find any cheap and cheerful course that could get us across the line then we would prob take that option incase the PR was not at the end of the rainbow!
Old Feb 11th 2010, 2:39 pm
Sidecar Falcon

You do realise that if she trains as a chef and gets work experience then you could be eligible for FSW anyway (under the current list) meaning that you wouldn't really have anything to worry about on the obtaining PR front.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

You do realise that if she trains as a chef and gets work experience then you could be eligible for FSW anyway (under the current list) meaning that you wouldn't really have anything to worry about on the obtaining PR front.
Aaaah, never thought to check the list of occupations to see if chef was on it!

I'll have a look at that, I'm not sure if she would want to become a full on chef, she enjoys bakery etc, I'll check it out with her (before I railroad her into a job just so I can get to Toronto! )
Old Feb 11th 2010, 2:53 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by The Lost Paddy
I'll check it out with her (before I railroad her into a job just so I can get to Toronto! )

It's funny because I often feel that's exactly what I'm trying to do with my girlfriend at the moment.

It includes pastry chefs etc by the way, if that helps.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

It's funny because I often feel that's exactly what I'm trying to do with my girlfriend at the moment.

It includes pastry chefs etc by the way, if that helps.
That's the type of thing she is interested in alright, it's more a hobby but she is really good at that kinda stuff.

I'll book her on a course just now and tell her at the weekend I reckon!
Old Feb 11th 2010, 4:16 pm
Sidecar Falcon

What like, "Oh by the way, you're now a pastry chef, happy valentine's day" ?
Old Feb 11th 2010, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

What like, "Oh by the way, you're now a pastry chef, happy valentine's day" ?
Ha ha! Something like that, "Happy Valentines...you owe me $15,000!"
Old Feb 11th 2010, 5:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Just don't forget she'll need at least one years full-time experience as a chef before she could apply.

So given that she'll have to train first, then spend a year working, that's probably an even less certain route than the FSW cat 3, as there's no guarantee chefs will still be on 'the list' in a couple of years time.

Old Feb 12th 2010, 3:29 am
Forum Regular

pancakemeow is an unknown quantity at this point

one of the cheapest universities in canada is memorial university. It's in Newfoundland though! This is what it says on the website:

You've come to the right place
Moving to a new country, a new part of the world you may never have heard of before, is a big deal.

This is going to be one adventure you'll never forget. At the end of the day, you should be concentrating on how great your program is, not how much money you need to find.

In Newfoundland and Labrador, the provincial government subsidizes tuition, which means that we can offer you one of the lowest international student tuition costs of any university in Canada.

Plus, when you compare the cost of living in our capital city, St. John's, to that of other capital cities, you'll be shocked to find how comfortably you can live on a budget here.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pancakemeow
one of the cheapest universities in canada is memorial university. It's in Newfoundland though! This is what it says on the website:

You've come to the right place
Moving to a new country, a new part of the world you may never have heard of before, is a big deal.

This is going to be one adventure you'll never forget. At the end of the day, you should be concentrating on how great your program is, not how much money you need to find.

In Newfoundland and Labrador, the provincial government subsidizes tuition, which means that we can offer you one of the lowest international student tuition costs of any university in Canada.

Plus, when you compare the cost of living in our capital city, St. John's, to that of other capital cities, you'll be shocked to find how comfortably you can live on a budget here.

Really appreciate that info, big thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.