Study Option...

Old Feb 2nd 2010, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

The Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura about
Default Study Option...

Hi folks,

Having all but given up on the work/sponsorship route across, we have decided on tryin the study option, what I'm wondering, has anyone found a legit cheap course that they have applied for? Most seem to come in around $10/11000 per year, and as a means to an end that could prove costly (as we already have Uni qualifications etc).

Any advice would be appreciated! Cheers.

Last edited by The Lost Paddy; Feb 2nd 2010 at 11:58 am. Reason: Spelling!
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 12:25 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Study Option...

You're best bet would probably be to enrol on a masters or something, it is going to cost you either way though.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Kate_P has a brilliant futureKate_P has a brilliant futureKate_P has a brilliant futureKate_P has a brilliant futureKate_P has a brilliant futureKate_P has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by The Lost Paddy
Hi folks,

Having all but given up on the work/sponsorship route across, we have decided on tryin the study option, what I'm wondering, has anyone found a legit cheap course that they have applied for? Most seem to come in around $10/11000 per year, and as a means to an end that could prove costly (as we already have Uni qualifications etc).

Any advice would be appreciated! Cheers.
Hi there,
Where are you thinking of settling? We came over on a study visa and although I paid a lot in international fees for my course, I also have friends who took less expensive courses to meet bare min. requirements!
Old Feb 10th 2010, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

The Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Lost Paddy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Kate_P
Hi there,
Where are you thinking of settling? We came over on a study visa and although I paid a lot in international fees for my course, I also have friends who took less expensive courses to meet bare min. requirements!
Thanks for the reply, we are hoping to move to Toronto if possible, but are essentially willing to go anywhere at first, for a couple of years if needed, then relocate to Toronto.

We both already have uni qualifications, I have 7+ years work experience now and my partner has a degree too, but has worked as a driving instructor since leaving college.

Ideally we would like to do a course that meets the bare min of entry, so that I can start to work straight away, if thats not possible then I would like for her to do something she could possible use in Canada, she has an interest in photography, or a cookery course, but all the uni's we are looking at are circa $10/12,000 per year, which is a lot when essentially it's just a means to an end!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old Feb 10th 2010, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
You're best bet would probably be to enrol on a masters or something, it is going to cost you either way though.
Not a bad idea, however we have been advised it's best ot get a two year course, as if I'm the partner that can work straight off then it will probably take over a year for me to get my PR.

Incidenatlly does anyone have any info on the process to PR from the study route? How one or both can apply for this?

Big thanks.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 10:33 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that student time counts towards any kind of credit toward rewarding PR unless you were then to take one of the PNP-type routes offered to graduates by some provinces after your course in said province has ended.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

I don't think that student time counts towards any kind of credit toward rewarding PR unless you were then to take one of the PNP-type routes offered to graduates by some provinces after your course in said province has ended.
From what I've been told, a couple can come across on the study visa, one studying and the other has an open work permit, no restrictions, is this not the case? If this is the case then I would work and would hope to convert this into PR if possible.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 12:29 pm
Sidecar Falcon

From what I've been told, a couple can come across on the study visa, one studying and the other has an open work permit, no restrictions, is this not the case? If this is the case then I would work and would hope to convert this into PR if possible.

I'd check that out on the CIC site if I were you as it doesn't sound quite right to me. I know that Canada is becoming tougher on student visas now as the US, UK and Australia are closing their doors so the demand is soaring.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

zednought will become famous soon enough

I believe you are correct. Obviously, you only have the OWP for the duration of the study visa. I also looked at this option a couple of years ago. I abandoned it in the end. Too risky for the expense.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 12:46 pm
Sidecar Falcon

And there is going to be a lot of expense.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

I'd check that out on the CIC site if I were you as it doesn't sound quite right to me. I know that Canada is becoming tougher on student visas now as the US, UK and Australia are closing their doors so the demand is soaring.
Will do thanks, appreciate the advice.

Incidentally, would anyone know how a bankrupcy might effect a visa application? A private or personal bankrupcy, and it's apparently discharged?

A friend that is hoping to move across had to declare bankrupcy in December 2008, his year is up I believe and he is out the other side of this thing, would this become an issue for him in his application process?

Cheers,
TLP.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 12:47 pm
Sidecar Falcon

I would start a seperate thread for that if I were you.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

And there is going to be a lot of expense.
Yes, the circa $12,000 per year is a lot, specially as it's a means to an end, but I'm sure I could support us poth for the couple of years, and my partner can work after 6 months too I believe, so it may not be too bad...unless you know of additional costs I've not thought of?!
Old Feb 10th 2010, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by zednought
I believe you are correct. Obviously, you only have the OWP for the duration of the study visa. I also looked at this option a couple of years ago. I abandoned it in the end. Too risky for the expense.
How so?! Would be really interested for your take on that please!
Old Feb 10th 2010, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

I would start a seperate thread for that if I were you.
Will do, thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.