Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

spouse of Canadian: applying for PR WAY-ahead-of-time just to get it over with

spouse of Canadian: applying for PR WAY-ahead-of-time just to get it over with

Old Mar 25th 2011, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of
Default spouse of Canadian: applying for PR WAY-ahead-of-time just to get it over with

Suppose a Canadian citizen and their spouse live outside of Canada. They genuinely want to move together to Canada eventually, but are not sure exactly when.

They apply for spouse-sponsored PR. They are not required to say exactly when they will move to Canada in the application; they typically just have to indicate/illustrate that they will be moving to Canada. A written invitation from parent-in-laws to stay with them on arrival generally seems sufficient. PR visa is granted.

They then land the spouse in Canada during a vacation visit, and return to where they live outside of Canada. At this point the spouse is landed and has PR and retains their PR since they are living with a Canadian spouse overseas.

They can now decide to move back to Canada whenever they desire (6 years later for instance) and have long ago taken care of all the administrative hassles.

I think the only thing this depends on is: That the spouse can land in Canada without the Canadian citizen yet making a substantive move to Canada. The Landing Without Sponsor? thread seems to indicate that this is not a problem.

Any thoughts or clear problems with this idea? (Obviously they may have to apply for a travel clearance if they want to travel after their PR card has expired, though if they visit Canada regularly it should not be too hard to renew the PR card and pick it up on a subsequent trip).

I was thinking about this because I have a friend who would like to eventually move back to Canada with his Japanese wife, but no time soon. This would just remove all the time pressure and let them later move when and how they want. It totally removes CIC backlogs from the equation by getting PR now, and using it some time later.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: spouse of Canadian: applying for PR WAY-ahead-of-time just to get it over with

Originally Posted by bewillow
Suppose a Canadian citizen and their spouse live outside of Canada. They genuinely want to move together to Canada eventually, but are not sure exactly when.

They apply for spouse-sponsored PR. They are not required to say exactly when they will move to Canada in the application; they typically just have to indicate/illustrate that they will be moving to Canada. A written invitation from parent-in-laws to stay with them on arrival generally seems sufficient. PR visa is granted.

They then land the spouse in Canada during a vacation visit, and return to where they live outside of Canada. At this point the spouse is landed and has PR and retains their PR since they are living with a Canadian spouse overseas.

They can now decide to move back to Canada whenever they desire (6 years later for instance) and have long ago taken care of all the administrative hassles.

I think the only thing this depends on is: That the spouse can land in Canada without the Canadian citizen yet making a substantive move to Canada. The Landing Without Sponsor? thread seems to indicate that this is not a problem.

Any thoughts or clear problems with this idea? (Obviously they may have to apply for a travel clearance if they want to travel after their PR card has expired, though if they visit Canada regularly it should not be too hard to renew the PR card and pick it up on a subsequent trip).

I was thinking about this because I have a friend who would like to eventually move back to Canada with his Japanese wife, but no time soon. This would just remove all the time pressure and let them later move when and how they want. It totally removes CIC backlogs from the equation by getting PR now, and using it some time later.
I have been reading the other thread about this too - and yes, it does seem that some could abuse this.

On the other hand - we are planning on moving to canada as soon as we can. We have 3 children and need to move schools etc, so we need to do this at the best stage of the year/education. We also have to sell our house.

We had our medicals in September and applied for our PR in October - we are still waiting. Our file has been in London since dec 9th. We are trying to do all this with the least disruption to our children. Because we had to get our medicals done BEFORE applying - and the application "could" (although I am praying it won't) take another 6 months, as the process can be up to 9 months in london - our medicals would expire as soon as the visa's came through. There would be no way, we could just get the visa and then travel within the next few weeks.

Essentially, we would need to land while all the pieces are being put into place (house sale, school applications, job applications etc) and then we could return to settle in canada.

Possibly would be easier if, when you applied, you had a more concrete way of knowing how long it was going to take - or even if they had a system that kept you up to date with the progress!!

Just my thoughts on it.
Old Mar 26th 2011, 6:56 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: spouse of Canadian: applying for PR WAY-ahead-of-time just to get it over with

Sponsorship is easy and quick enough that it should not be necessary to apply prematurely.