Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Spousal Visa/Intra-Company Transfer

Spousal Visa/Intra-Company Transfer

Old Sep 8th 2013, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

jasna38 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spousal Visa/Intra-Company Transfer

Hi - I am Canadian (Quebec) living the UK preparing an outland application to sponsor my husband to immigrate to Ontario. This forum is definitely keeping my sanity through the whole process.

Our main objective with the move is to be closer to family - we have a baby and a toddler and no family in the UK. My husband does not speak French, and we intend to move to Ontario rather than Quebec so that it is easier for him to settle and find a job. Are we likely to have issues if we apply the rest of Canada route rather than the Quebec route as our intent is truly to settle outside Quebec?

My husband might have opportunities for an intra-company transfer. However his Company does not currently have opportunities in Ontario. Should a position become available, would my husband be able to accept a transfer whilst the spousal application is in progress?

Is it worth including emails from his HR partner in Canada discussing a potential move, positions and salary to support our application?

Thanks
Old Sep 8th 2013, 11:15 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spousal Visa/Intra-Company Transfer

Welcome to British Expats I am sure it would be great if your husband could transfer his employment to Canada, however, it doesn't really have any bearing upon your move to Canada. If you look at the Wiki (the blue bar on the top of the page) you will find all of the information regarding Spousal Sponsorship. You can sponsor your husband to come to Canada, and neither you, nor he, need employment, just be committed to settling here with your family. As a sponsor (if approved) you sign that you will be responsible for your husband for the next three years and that he won't be a drain on the Canadian system.

By the way, your kids already have Canadian citizenship? If they don't, get on to that quickly, as that that seems to be processed quite slowly at present?

Very best wishes and good luck.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

jasna38 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Spousal Visa/Intra-Company Transfer

Hi Millie
Thank you for the message and nice wishes.

I thought that the emails from my husband's Canadian office could help prove that we want to establish ourselves in Canada as per the requirements of form IM5540. I will just add a separate paragraph to explain how we intend to establish ourselves as I do not have any documents (rental agreement etc.) proving that.

My eldest daughter does have Canadian citizenship. She received it a couple months after applying. I have applied back in July for our newborn so it should hopefully come through before we move.