LMO status and processing times

Old Sep 6th 2013, 11:47 am
Just Joined

Rustycro81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LMO status and processing times

Hi guys,

So I am coming to the end of my IEC visa where I have been working here for the last year. My employer has filed an application for LMO on my job as a personal trainer over a month ago and we have no idea whether or not it has been received. I know there is a delay on processing times due to strike action but does anyone have any idea how long this is likely to take and once received would I then still need to apply for a work permit ? Information on LMO applications on the CIC website is not very clear.

Any feedback would be greatly welcomed!

Russ
Old Sep 6th 2013, 2:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LMO status and processing times

Originally Posted by Rustycro81
Hi guys,

So I am coming to the end of my IEC visa where I have been working here for the last year. My employer has filed an application for LMO on my job as a personal trainer over a month ago and we have no idea whether or not it has been received. I know there is a delay on processing times due to strike action but does anyone have any idea how long this is likely to take and once received would I then still need to apply for a work permit ? Information on LMO applications on the CIC website is not very clear.

Any feedback would be greatly welcomed!

Russ
The strike is not affecting LMO applications as these are done in Canada and HRSDC officers are not on strike. LMOs can take between 6 to 20 weeks and the new rules put into place make processing even longer as employers have to advertise the position for longer.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 3:01 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Its a bit like asking how longs a piece of string, I have known people get there LMO in 8 weeks, 15 weeks and me I am heading into the 23rd week
Old Sep 6th 2013, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Bella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
Its a bit like asking how longs a piece of string, I have known people get there LMO in 8 weeks, 15 weeks and me I am heading into the 23rd week
I was thinking about your LMO situation over the weekend Mikeypm. I can't believe it's taking so long!
Old Sep 6th 2013, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

Sounds like this is going to be a frustrating wait. 23 weeks is crazy mikeypm! Do you guys communicate with the HRSDC directly. I know the call centre tends to direct you back to their website for information. Would it be worth me applying directly for a work permit without an LMO. I need to be able to legally work when I come back in December!

Thanks again
Old Sep 6th 2013, 3:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like this is going to be a frustrating wait. 23 weeks is crazy mikeypm! Do you guys communicate with the HRSDC directly. I know the call centre tends to direct you back to their website for information. Would it be worth me applying directly for a work permit without an LMO. I need to be able to legally work when I come back in December!

Thanks again
Unless the job doesnt require an LMO I dont know how you will achieve that.
Old Sep 7th 2013, 7:55 am

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again
The LMO is employer driven so your employer communicates with the HRSDC. The call centre/foreign worker office will not divulge any information on an application to anyone other than the employer or their representative. You can not apply directly for an LMO. It is frustrating when I know people whom have gotten their LMO between 8-15 weeks and I am sat heading into 23 weeks, but what can I do my employer chases it every week and my employer gets told every time its in process, my employer called HRSDC yesterday and was told agin it is in process
Old Sep 7th 2013, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Mikey. So I've taken you're advice and will get my employer to chase the HRSDC. It's not great that they don't communicate at least by Email with you and your employer to update on progress. I don't even know if they've received my application.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

BenBuzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Mikey. So I've taken you're advice and will get my employer to chase the HRSDC. It's not great that they don't communicate at least by Email with you and your employer to update on progress. I don't even know if they've received my application.
I think your employer should have received an AOR from CIC, stating that the application has been received and assigned to a case number ready for processing? My employer forwarded me one which was received 9 days after the application was sent.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by BenBuzz
I think your employer should have received an AOR from CIC, stating that the application has been received and assigned to a case number ready for processing? My employer forwarded me one which was received 9 days after the application was sent.
As Ben says your employer should get a confirmation of receipt with a case number. However, all that means is that they have received the application and its in the pile with the rest. I could be wrong but I think its one of those things that depends on who at HRSDC gets you file as the disparity between processing times would be down to how quick an individual case/file handler at HRSDC is. So hopefully you do not draw the short straw and you get a quick person at HRSDC to deal with your application.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

My employer put in an open LMO application in mid-June, in advance of offering me a job in late July.

They then put my name against the LMO application and it was approved within a week.

I've just left my UK job at the end of last week and will be in Kelowna in 7 weeks time...
Old Sep 10th 2013, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by withabix
My employer put in an open LMO application in mid-June, in advance of offering me a job in late July.

They then put my name against the LMO application and it was approved within a week.

I've just left my UK job at the end of last week and will be in Kelowna in 7 weeks time...
Comparing an open LMO with a standard single LMO application isn't really comparing apples with apples. If an employer has an open LMO its a case of just getting a persons name added to the open LMO. It appears the OP has a standard LMO application put in by his employer and that process can take between 8- 20 weeks plus.

Good luck with your move
Old Sep 11th 2013, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

So I now have a case number! Apparently the office had registered my application back on August 14th but neglected to inform us. Hoping to get a positive answer before I have to head back home in late October.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 3:06 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

So I now have a case number! Apparently the office had registered my application back on August 14th but neglected to inform us. Hoping to get a positive answer before I have to head back home in late October.
If necessary, you could change to visitor status rather than flying back.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...end-worker.asp

Old Sep 11th 2013, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info souxie but I have a a hankering for drizzly rain, real fish and chips and the left hand side of the road right now. Plus friends and family of course