Spousal Visa

Old Jun 12th 2020, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

Andy Woody is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spousal Visa

I’m looking for some advice

I was born in the U.K. but have Canadian citizenship via my dad and grandparents. My family are looking at moving to Canada - either the Toronto area or Calgary

What is the best way to get my wife into Canada? Should I apply for a spouse sponsorship while we are in the U.K.? Or can we move to Canada and apply when we are there? I’ve tried asking IRCC but don’t get answers.

Applying when we are in the U.K. might be easier but it would mean putting life on hold for a year or so
Old Jun 12th 2020, 3:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spousal Visa

When are you planning on wanting to move to Canada? I suggest by looking at the Wiki and/or reading this link

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spous...sorship-Canada
Old Jun 12th 2020, 3:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andy Woody
I’m looking for some advice

I was born in the U.K. but have Canadian citizenship via my dad and grandparents. My family are looking at moving to Canada - either the Toronto area or Calgary

What is the best way to get my wife into Canada? Should I apply for a spouse sponsorship while we are in the U.K.? Or can we move to Canada and apply when we are there? I’ve tried asking IRCC but don’t get answers.

Applying when we are in the U.K. might be easier but it would mean putting life on hold for a year or so
Hi, and welcome to BE.

When you say 'my family', do you mean your wife and children? If so, are your children citizens too and if so, do you already have their Canadian passports?

You'll need to sponsor your wife for PR. But there is something called 'dual intent', which would allow you both to move once you have received your sponsor approval - you'd just need to note that your wife would then only be a visitor in Canada until she did get PR, i.e. couldn't work, wouldn't be eligible for healthcare or a driving licence etc.

Have a read of the Wiki articles about spousal sponsorship, they are incredibly comprehensive and will give you lots of info on the process, there is also a section on dual intent that you can read too.

Best of luck.
Old Jun 12th 2020, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

We were looking at moving this summer before Covid happened but it’s now as soon as we can after we are allowed
Old Jun 12th 2020, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, and welcome to BE.

When you say 'my family', do you mean your wife and children? If so, are your children citizens too and if so, do you already have their Canadian passports?

You'll need to sponsor your wife for PR. But there is something called 'dual intent', which would allow you both to move once you have received your sponsor approval - you'd just need to note that your wife would then only be a visitor in Canada until she did get PR, i.e. couldn't work, wouldn't be eligible for healthcare or a driving licence etc.

Have a read of the Wiki articles about spousal sponsorship, they are incredibly comprehensive and will give you lots of info on the process, there is also a section on dual intent that you can read too.

Best of luck.
thats very helpful thank you
Old Jun 12th 2020, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andy Woody
We were looking at moving this summer before Covid happened but it’s now as soon as we can after we are allowed
+1 to what Christmasoompa said. As regards timescale, assume 1 year from sending your sponsorship pack in until receipt of CoPR. As a Canadian, you can move anytime, but your wife can only visit until approved.

You (and your kids if they qualify for citizenship) must have a valid Canadian passport to travel to Canada

Have a good read of the wiki.

Last edited by Hurlabrick; Jun 12th 2020 at 3:49 pm.